Dessert Ideas That Won't Leave Me Crying Tomorrow

Options
I've really been craving something sweet lately, but I don't want to fall back on my old favorites (known as junk with far too many calories and nothing else). Any suggestions of desserts that I could add to my meal that would help my sweet tooth but not derail all my hard work?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on how many calories you have for it, what you crave, what you like, and if you can do moderation or not... For me 'dessert' is typically a square of chocolate or a serving of ice cream, because that's pretty easy to fit in my calories.
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Frozen yoghurt- 'licks' brand banana & honey is super sexy :) Also have you tried making iced coffees? I do them with lots of ice so they come out thick like sorbets. I recommend using flavoured instant coffees for extra fun points. Also check out Monin sugarfree syrups- to me they taste exactly like the sugared versions- they make coffees/ ice coffees/ everything amazing x
  • curiouspeach
    curiouspeach Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love this - made with xylitol it's 140 calories for a big wodge, or 60 with erythritol :) If you don't have either of those, even with sugar it's only about 200 calories.

Failing that, I'm all about porridge made with water, frozen berries and a drizzle of agave - 30 grams of oats, 40-70 grams of berries and about a teaspoon of agave is bloody gorgeous.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 1200 calories. I'm on a lot of medicines that cause weight gain and, due to health issues, I can't exercise that much. I do have a little problem with moderation, although I'm getting better. I went to a church dinner last night and looked right at all the brownies, cupcakes, pies etc. and didn't eat any. (Have no idea how many calories exactly was in any of the food, so I was trying to play it safe.) I'm particularly fond of chocolate and peanut butter.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with a little peanut butter and honey stirred in and some dark chocolate shaved on top. I think I got the idea here last year. It's one of my favorites!
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    I'm not a fan of iced coffee, but the porridge idea sounds good and so does that banana and honey frozen yogurt.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    A pureed frozen banana is a lot like ice cream. Add some cacao powder or frozen berries into the mix.
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    Plain Greek yogurt with a little peanut butter and honey stirred in and some dark chocolate shaved on top. I think I got the idea here last year. It's one of my favorites!

That sounds perfect, and I have all of the ingredients already. Thank you. That's what I'll do.

• FlickMclightly
    FlickMclightly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always love some strawberries on a meringue nest with a bit of low fat cream / yoghurt / creme fraiche x yum yum
  • manukahoneybadger
    Options
    Someone on here mentioned cottage cheese with cocoa and a bit of stevia tastes like a choc desert- I've not yet tried it bit it sounds promising :smile: I'm on poverty macros also so I try to fashion up exciting things from nothing... Also there are loads of amazing teas which can definitely keep you busy- ever tried Yogi chocolate tea? Twinnings buttermint flavour is just like werthers original. Nom x
  • manukahoneybadger
    Options
    Oh and you can get peanut hot drinks!! they're about 80 cals
  • Francl27
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    A pureed frozen banana is a lot like ice cream. Add some cacao powder or frozen berries into the mix.

No. It's frozen banana.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like prepackaged, processed foods, so this might not be for you -- but I really enjoy Fiber One brownies, Yoplait frozen Greek yogurt bars, the dessert-y flavors of Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt, Special K crisps, etc. They all taste and feel like more authentic, full-calorie sweets but have drastically reduced calorie and sugar loads.
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Get some chocolate flavored frozen yogurt! so good and tastes just like chocolate ice cream! I even make a smoothie out of it with almond milk!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You can search for 'snack girl' online she has some low cal ideas that are healthy.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

No. It's frozen banana.

Not only is it frozen banana, but when you start adding stuff to it, you quickly get more calories in a bowl of banana slush than you'd get from a same-sized portion of Talenti.
  • Francl27
    Options
    OP - seriously, I've tried all the 'diet' stuff. Sure, it's a bit less calories, but it's not as satisfying. Now I'd much rather have a bit less of the real thing... and it fits in my calories, so there's no guilt involved (heck even when it doesn't, still no guilt, I'll just be more careful the next few days).

That being said, for something healthier, Yoplait Greek whips are fantastic for only 100 calories. Tastes like fruit mousse and they have a lot of protein. Love them.
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You have given me some great suggestions. I actually ate a few of those caramel rice poppers. That helped my sweet tooth. As for the other suggestions, I'll enter them as new recipes so I can better figure out the calories. Thanks again.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you do not mind processed I like a little bit of whip cream, some berries, and I crush a graham cracker on top. I also like the Yoplait whips or some popcorn. I also like the two ingredient cookies. Smash up two ripe bananas and a cup of oats. You can add different things to it. I add some chocolate chips and peanut butter and it comes out to 47 calories a cookie. I made a batch with raisins and cinnamon the last time but did not add it up but it would be less than the chocolate/version.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »

That sounds delicious!