Protein Shakes: Holland and Barrett Precision Engineered Whey Protein, Cookies and Cream.

Options
Hello all, thanks for reading. I am after some advice and thoughts on the above product. I have been advised to start taking a protein shake after I do my workouts and C25K training (treadmill first before I hit the pavement). What do people think of this product, is this value for money, is it the right kind of thing for me? I am not looking to gain muscle, just lose body fat and improve the muscle I have already and improve over all fitness and well being. I have been on a changed way of eating and exercise since joining here, last summer and have lost 50 lbs and fitness is much improved since then. I also walk alot and am looking to improve by doing the C25k, then once that I have mastered that, take it outside.
Thanks once again for reading, any advice re the above or being a new runner, or advice on running footwear, all appreciated.
:)

Replies

• michaelabennet
    michaelabennet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the one you mentioned but I use PHD Diet Whey Belgian Chocolate as I want lean muscle without bulking up too much (plus it tastes delicious!). I have noticed a difference since I've been using it- definately gaining slender muscle. I take it after my workout each day and find it really helps me recover from my gym sessions.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. Most of the brands are repackaging the same basic materials coming out of the same factories - look for one that fits your needs and doesn't taste horrible.

:drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gagajenks wrote: »
    Hello all, thanks for reading. I am after some advice and thoughts on the above product. I have been advised to start taking a protein shake after I do my workouts and C25K training (treadmill first before I hit the pavement). What do people think of this product, is this value for money, is it the right kind of thing for me? I am not looking to gain muscle, just lose body fat and improve the muscle I have already and improve over all fitness and well being. I have been on a changed way of eating and exercise since joining here, last summer and have lost 50 lbs and fitness is much improved since then. I also walk alot and am looking to improve by doing the C25k, then once that I have mastered that, take it outside.
    Thanks once again for reading, any advice re the above or being a new runner, or advice on running footwear, all appreciated.
    :)

I have h & b's chocolate flavour, it's really tasty, I mix it with water.

Protein powder is just a means of hitting your protein macro. If you need help doing that then yes, its for you.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would say it's most likely not value for money - we couldn't believe how much they charge for protein powder in a Holland & Barrett. Dolphin Fitness is good value for protein powders, Tesco is bad value, Holland & Barrett makes Tesco look cheap.
  • gagajenks
    gagajenks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time. I take it to up my protein intake. It tastes good too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cocobongo wrote: »
    I would say it's most likely not value for money - we couldn't believe how much they charge for protein powder in a Holland & Barrett. Dolphin Fitness is good value for protein powders, Tesco is bad value, Holland & Barrett makes Tesco look cheap.

I only buy it when it's in the sale!
  • MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Find a protein powder that does not have additives, that you enjoy, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There is nothing magical about any protein powder and more expensive is not a sign of quality.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the calories involved. C25k won't I'm guessing use that many calories. A lot of runners go on about protein shakes but these runners tend to cover a lot of miles each week so burn a lot of calories.
    I really would look into trying to eat more protein.
    Last year I started running and was running 5km 3 times a week. I felt really good about getting fitter and thought it meant I could eat a bit more. I tended to eat lots of fruit. Couldn't really understand why I wasn't losing weight. It wasn't until I came to MFP that I realised for me a 5 km run was only burning just over 300 calories each time.
    Log everything whatever you do whether it be food or protein shakes. I know loads of people who have done well with the c25k so well done for starting and good luck.
  • gagajenks
    gagajenks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the calories involved. C25k won't I'm guessing use that many calories. A lot of runners go on about protein shakes but these runners tend to cover a lot of miles each week so burn a lot of calories.
    I really would look into trying to eat more protein.
    Last year I started running and was running 5km 3 times a week. I felt really good about getting fitter and thought it meant I could eat a bit more. I tended to eat lots of fruit. Couldn't really understand why I wasn't losing weight. It wasn't until I came to MFP that I realised for me a 5 km run was only burning just over 300 calories each time.
    Log everything whatever you do whether it be food or protein shakes. I know loads of people who have done well with the c25k so well done for starting and good luck.

Thanks Lisa, I started the c25k to change up my workouts as I was not doing as much as I had been and need to keep things interesting so that was a new challenge to myself. I was advised to give the shake a go to boost my diet, but since then, is making more of an effort to add more protein the food way.
    Thank you once again for wishing me luck, I am aiming to complete the training on a treadmill first then brave it outside! Not ready to "run" outside just yet.