Options
chantelp0508
chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
Does anyone have any good recipes for chicken tacos? Preferably under 400 cal

Replies

• sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love me some chicken taco's! My father-in-law gave us a recipe for beef taco's and I loved it so much I've changed it a little bit to work with chicken.

I usually cook ~2 to 3 lb's of chicken breast, so I buy from Sam's / Walmart / Local deli. I start throwing all the meat into my big skillet. I usually am very impatient for taco's, so I will pull out the breast, and cut it up into .25" slices, just to make it cook faster. Chopping/shredding as it cooks down, however you like the meat is up to you.

Once the meat is cooked through I add in my spices:

(for ~2 lb's of chicken)
    1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp crushed pepper
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tbs basil
    1 tbs oregano
    1 1/2 tbs cumin
    1/2 c water

Once the water goes in, I reduce to about medium heat and boil it down (til no water/juice left in the pan.)

After all said and done, I add ~1/2 cup of meat to a shell, add some cheese and salsa (lettuce if available.)

MFP estimates the meat portion to be about 117 calories per serving. Taco shell's are the biggest variable in the process, but have found to really like the Tomato and Basil from Ole Mexican Foods.
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    You're the best
  • sbogstad
    Options
    BTW, ill try to take pics tonight
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    Perfect
  • sbogstad
    Options
    The start!
    oyfk1h7f45ab.jpg

Cutting them into strips.
    6w7ae968mo7r.jpg

1st round of chopping
    ri1jj1s1cd89.jpg

2nd round of chopping
    qktilwki4toy.jpg

Seasoning
    vxcu8bj6hgs9.jpg

Mixing it up.
    c5fbjhazjhj0.jpg

Plating!
    gai6f1f52znf.jpg
  • sbogstad
    Options
    Forgot to add that my "as plated" is about 330 calories.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    sbogstad wrote: »
    The start!
    oyfk1h7f45ab.jpg

Cutting them into strips.
    6w7ae968mo7r.jpg

1st round of chopping
    ri1jj1s1cd89.jpg

2nd round of chopping
    qktilwki4toy.jpg

Seasoning
    vxcu8bj6hgs9.jpg

Mixing it up.
    c5fbjhazjhj0.jpg

Plating!
    gai6f1f52znf.jpg

Yum think I ll make some for work tomarrow
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Another way to make these is to put the above ingredients in a crock pot then walk away! Check in 2 hours, and if the chicken can be easily shredded it's ready. If not, check every half hour after. It depends on how much chicken you place in the crock pot how long it takes to cook, as well as how hot your crock pot gets. Chicken slow cooked in a crock pot like this should shred easily.
    Sometimes I add a half cup of salsa to the spices; sometimes I use low sodium taco seasoning instead of my own spices. Sometimes I add black beans and corn to the crockpot.

55835802.png
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    Thanks
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I use Alton Brown's taco potion. It's 107 calories per pound of chicken, roughly. So about 7 calories an ounce. It's in the database, too.

Recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/taco-potion-19-recipe.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Hmmm, those are some sad looking tacos...
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just shred the chicken, use the taco bell spices from wal-mart and stick to the $1 spanish branded hard corn shells. Those shells are about 100 calories I think. It's been a while. I'll look when I get home. I'll probably steal this recipe and use the hard shells though lol, that sounds amazing. Cheers on that. :)
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I make chicken tacos pretty much the same as others on this page have said. I have found that the tortillas and/or taco shells are pretty high in calories and carbs so I tend to make a chicken taco salad instead of eating it as a taco. Or I may make one taco and have a second serving as a salad.
  • sbogstad
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Hmmm, those are some sad looking tacos...

Sorry to disappoint, I don't like a lot on my taco.

I was just disappointed to not see anyone sharing their Chicken Taco recipes, that I posted my recipe (since I was making it anyways).

• chantelp0508
    Options
    All tacos are beautiful!! I'll post pics today
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yum Tacos.... Guess I am a lazy cook I just throw some chicken in the crockpot and pour salsa on top then shred chicken and mix well. I have eaten this plain, on tacos and on salads.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My best friend poaches her chicken, shreds then adds a can of rotel tomatoes and seasoning. She puts hers on white corn tortillas. They were good.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love me some chicken taco's! My father-in-law gave us a recipe for beef taco's and I loved it so much I've changed it a little bit to work with chicken.

I usually cook ~2 to 3 lb's of chicken breast, so I buy from Sam's / Walmart / Local deli. I start throwing all the meat into my big skillet. I usually am very impatient for taco's, so I will pull out the breast, and cut it up into .25" slices, just to make it cook faster. Chopping/shredding as it cooks down, however you like the meat is up to you.

Once the meat is cooked through I add in my spices:

(for ~2 lb's of chicken)
    1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp crushed pepper
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tbs basil
    1 tbs oregano
    1 1/2 tbs cumin
    1/2 c water

Once the water goes in, I reduce to about medium heat and boil it down (til no water/juice left in the pan.)

After all said and done, I add ~1/2 cup of meat to a shell, add some cheese and salsa (lettuce if available.)

MFP estimates the meat portion to be about 117 calories per serving. Taco shell's are the biggest variable in the process, but have found to really like the Tomato and Basil from Ole Mexican Foods.

Sounds good to me!
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    koet5gw0ls0k.jpg
    I wrapped it up and went to take a bite and then I remembered I said I would post
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I make mine as others stated above in the crockpot with a can of rotel and my own taco seasoning. Just shred and serve on corn tortillas or even better with black beans and salsa on a bed of romaine. Yum!!