RN looking to share trials and tribulations!

Options

Replies

• FlattRN
    FlattRN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lavrn03 wrote: »
    I am also a nurse. I feel that preplaning my meals helps a lot. I also try to get to the gym on days off or force myself to go right after my shift.

I agree with preplanning and preparing my foods.
    I try to have 30mg of protein in the morning. It keeps me full. I never know if and when I'll get to lunch.
    I love peanut butter but found it doesn't keep me full for long. I do scrambled eggs or fiber1 English muffin with cottage cheese. Kellogg's protein bars with nuts is delicious. I eat that and drink 16oz water and it keeps me full for a bit.
    I've been recently Using a whey protein powder mix, so I can have it to sip on at work. I've mixed it with berries one day and my coffee another. Delicious!
    The trick is find small snacks that take seconds to consume. The other trick is to find time to eat it.
    Drink enough water too!! That keeps me in check too!
    I love Leslie's walking dvds. I just started doing a jllian micheals Dvd too.

Great info, thanks!
  • FlattRN
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    I'm a community health nurse who does home visits working with pregnant women and kids - mostly preemies and kids with disabilities or health problems. I have worked in the hospital setting, shift work, in psych. I will never go back to a hospital setting again. That is such a hard job and kudos to those of you who manage it.

I don't have problems working out or eating within my goals as I typically make it home for lunch or take lunch with me from home. I work out at home. I hate gyms.

My biggest issue is getting my water in. Some homes I visit, you don't want to go near the bathroom let alone use it. I lost my nurse's bladder after having my daughter so mostly I try to get my fluids in toward the end of my day and in the evening. I do know where every public bathroom is in my county is though! ;)

Love seeing all my fellow RNs out there! I know one of my motivations for dropping weight is because I do a lot of education on health and nutrition. This is difficult to do while not feeling like a hypocrite when carrying an extra 30-40 pounds! I've actually told quite a few of my clients about MFP. Co-workers too. It is such a great tool.

I did homecare for a bit and quickly put on 30lbs by eating drive thru between patients! Ugg! I struggle with water too. Silly thing, if I drink from a straw I end up drinking more.
  • FlattRN
    Options
    Loving all the ideas and support! Thank you all! :)
  • FlattRN
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What's the one thing you struggle with daily? One thing you simply refuse to give up. Mine is a Venti iced skinny caramel macchiato with an extra shot! Everyday of my life this is what I start my day with!
  • kateabusse
    kateabusse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    granola bars, fruit bars, oatmeal bars etc..seem to be my struggle, so easy to throw in my purse and take on the go and delicious, but its all processed and my goal is to nix the processed food in my diet.. thats a toughy!
  • dominiquehomza
    dominiquehomza Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Young ICU nurse here! Mostly nights. I find that working out before a shift is great for energy. Ugh never after. And I'm 100% done with snacking on gross unit snacks haha I gained 10 when I started and just working to lose that all!
  • FlattRN
    Options
    kateabusse wrote: »
    granola bars, fruit bars, oatmeal bars etc..seem to be my struggle, so easy to throw in my purse and take on the go and delicious, but its all processed and my goal is to nix the processed food in my diet.. thats a toughy!

Having food ready and available is hard when trying to forgo processed foods, believe me I understand. I love cutie clementines, I've been trying to use those as my throw in the purse snack. I'd love more ideas!
  • FlattRN
    Options
    So tomorrow is a tough day for me. I lost my nephew two years ago tomorrow. He was 12 years old and took his life. It'll be interesting to see how my diet plays out... Either gorge or starve. Hope I can keep it in check.
  • FlattRN
    Options
    Where's everyone at? I need my peeps, lol!
  • pipo0984
    pipo0984 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Open diary! Like challanges! Add me pals :);)
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    FlattRN wrote: »
    So tomorrow is a tough day for me. I lost my nephew two years ago tomorrow. He was 12 years old and took his life. It'll be interesting to see how my diet plays out... Either gorge or starve. Hope I can keep it in check.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier - my mom has been in the hospital all week and I haven't been on the board. I'm also sorry to hear about your nephew. Suicide has also touched my family and every spring, we are also reminded.

I hope it wasn't bad on the diet - that you were able to find some solace in the good memories of him. Stress eating (and drinking) is always a struggle for me too. So I'm right there with you. :)
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm a paramedic and a 911 dispatcher. Is that close enough?
  • cnoonannurse
    cnoonannurse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am the customer relations RN for an Ambulance company. My hours allow me to work out every morning before work which is great. BUT the guys at the office eat lunch out every day! My struggle is eating healthy when out to lunch with the guys...portion control and having a healthy breakfast (premier protein shake and almonds) are what I have to do to stay on track!
  • cnoonannurse
    Options
    So sorry about your loss, I can't imagine the loss of a child in a family! Praying for you and yours on this sad anniversary.
  • FlattRN
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Got through it with lots of tears but made it! Yes @wrenegade64 come on in! I hear you about eating healthy while out! My husband always wants to meet for lunch and I never want to because I don't know really about the nutrition of the food. I'm being a bit anal but I have to accomplish this!
  • Kcinnamon
    Kcinnamon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm graduating with my BSN next week. Feel free to add me too. I've lost 40 pounds during nursing school because I didn't think it fair to ask my patients to eat well and exercise if I couldn't do the same. I log everything, even the bad days. As for working out, it's too hard for me after a 12, but doing some yoga in the morning isn't impossible. The thing that amazes me is how much junk food is always available in the nurses breakroom. I pack everything for my day, including pocket snacks like soy nuts or homemade granola. That helps cause if I'm tempted I just eat what's in my pocket.
  • cnoonannurse
    Options
    Kcinnamon wrote: »
    . The thing that amazes me is how much junk food is always available in the nurses breakroom.

That is so true!!! I know we, as an ambulance company make sure our crews drop off 'goodie bags' every simgle time they go in to pick up or drop off for a transfer. Occasionally nurses will ask about healthier snacks...but as soon as I change the bags to healthy stuff, we get a rash of nurses that are upset that the chocolate is gone! I try to do half and half so everyone is happy!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oooooooo.... Nurse thread! I am a home health RN- so long hours driving Mon through Fri. I would love to work out in the mornings, but I have the little one to take care of most of the time. Hubby is a baby nurse doing 12s at an ortho unit and can't always get the baby up and to daycare.
    I just ran, well, walked-jogged, my first 5k race and am trying to figure out how to balance running three days a week to make better time on the next one!
  • elena1025
    elena1025 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I'm an ER nurse and with a hectic schedule I'm good if I can get motivated to do anything besides sleep when I'm home, but hopefully this app will help :)
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not an RN but I just wanted to say thank you for all you do <3