weighing a sweet potato

Options
i was wondering when I weigh a raw sweet potato, should it be in grams or ounces?

Replies

• LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, they are both units of mass. For logging I'd say you'd have better results with grams however.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    i was wondering when I weigh a raw sweet potato, should it be in grams or ounces?

I would assume that if you are a US-American you would weigh your potato in ounces and if you are from the rest of the world, you would do so in grams.

• Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    They do exactly the same thing, and there is literally no weight-loss advantage to either.

If you're unfamiliar with the units, the only thing to probably note is that "oz" are different from "fluid oz." The former is mass, the latter is volume (e.g. you'll eat 6 oz filet mignon (mass), but you'll drink a pint (16 fl oz) of beer). You'll find that 16 oz of water is not the same as 16 fluid oz of beer. This isn't really a concern because MFP uses all the right oz vs. fl oz measurements for solids and liquids. Just an FYI, really.

Grams are mass units (like ounces), but they have the advantage of being related to volume. 1 gram is the weight of one mililiter of water. It's really only an advantage to us nerds, who need to do those conversions at work :wink:

Lily is right though - there's no difference other than personal preference. Use whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, I use both. I have a food scale that does g and oz, and I wind up measuring them in whatever is used by the MFP data base :). For example, I put spirulina algae in my morning smoothies. That I do in grams, because that's what someone already entered in the MFP database. When I measure chicken, I use oz because that's the food from the MFP database that's saved in my "frequent" list.

Good luck!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I notice meat tends to lean towards being in oz in the database, but everything else goes by grams almost exclusively. I have a digital scale that does both, but for simplicity, I just measure everything in grams.. if I have to log oz cause thats all there is, I just convert it.

Oh, and Im an American :blush: