salty fatty sweet

Options
MsPican
MsPican Posts: 46 Member
edited April 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi I'm Amber

I want to lose weight and keep it off but I'm very addicted to sweets.

After being on a disgusting diet for a few days to weeks, I'll binge on anything salty fatty or sweet.

I'll like to curve this addiction and stay on course with my diet.

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    What kind of "disgusting diet"? You can eat foods you like and still lose weight. Being satisfied with what you're doing is the key to long term success. Find a way to work in treats and stay on track, so you won't binge or give up.
  • MsPican
    Options
    Veggies bland food etc... I eat just most of it don't taste good like salads... Ugh I hate salad now.
  • MsPican
    Options
    Ohh I binge so it's hard for me to eat what I like and stop. Then go back to eating bland.
  • mathandcats
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You'll need to figure out how to eat food you like and stay on track, or this is never going to last.

I've lost 64lbs never eating boring bland food. I don't eat salads (except for side salads with dinner), either.

In fact, I ate a (homemade) Nanaimo bar and a peanut butter cookie today, and I still made my calorie goal (1600) and macros without being hungry. Calorie counting is great!
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, but it's not an addiction. Only you are going to be able to figure out the best way to stick with things. Personally, my biggest trick is I never let myself go one calorie over unless I already expect to be out of control for the day, because I have trouble not saying "screw it" and totally binging. Other people are the opposite, and giving themselves permission to go the tiniest bit over keeps them from getting out of control. Your best bet is probably to lurk on the boards for a few days and see if you get any ideas of what ideas might work best for you. I wish you all the best getting going.
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    this is why i think cheat meals are important, be good for the week, eat things in your calorie allowance and then go out for a meal youll enjoy, if you go out and eat you wont have an endless binge, if you wana have your cheat meal at home buy smaller serves of the stuff you like and dont allow anything else in the house ... i know how hard this is from experience, you just need to be strong and realise what you want to put in your mouth now is not going to give you as much pleasure (or what ever other feeling you obtain from binging) as a life of good health
  • MsPican
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    You'll need to figure out how to eat food you like and stay on track, or this is never going to last.

I've lost 64lbs never eating boring bland food. I don't eat salads (except for side salads with dinner), either.

In fact, I ate a (homemade) Nanaimo bar and a peanut butter cookie today, and I still made my calorie goal (1600) and macros without being hungry. Calorie counting is great!

If I wanted to figure out on my own to break this addiction I wouldn't of wrote this.
  • MsPican
    Options
    this is why i think cheat meals are important, be good for the week, eat things in your calorie allowance and then go out for a meal youll enjoy, if you go out and eat you wont have an endless binge, if you wana have your cheat meal at home buy smaller serves of the stuff you like and dont allow anything else in the house ... i know how hard this is from experience, you just need to be strong and realise what you want to put in your mouth now is not going to give you as much pleasure (or what ever other feeling you obtain from binging) as a life of good health

Thanks very motivational post. I'm more of a daily candy person Whn it comes to cheating. I can do cheat meals here and there but eventually I'm like forget it.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who can figure it out. No one is going to be able to tell you what to do unless you are willing to do the work. There is no "magic bullet." Personally I like salads and have them quite often for lunch as well as a side dish. There are plenty of lean meats you can include in your meal plan as well as including "salty, fatty, sweet" items. You are the only one who is in control of what you eat. Nothing anyone here says can control that, only you.
  • usernameenvy
    Options
    I guess you have 3 options ...

1) you learn to control your binging and fit a candy in to your allowance once a day, allowing you to stick to your calories and lose weight
    2) eat as much as you please and then work your *kitten* off with exercise to take you back to the CICO
    3) keep making excuses and giving in and not lose weight

I dont think 2 & 3 will get you a good outcome...

It sounds harsh as many other posts might but ive had to take this upon myself because nothing is going to change if you carry on as you are
  • MsPican
    Options
    I feel for you, but it's not an addiction. Only you are going to be able to figure out the best way to stick with things. Personally, my biggest trick is I never let myself go one calorie over unless I already expect to be out of control for the day, because I have trouble not saying "screw it" and totally binging. Other people are the opposite, and giving themselves permission to go the tiniest bit over keeps them from getting out of control. Your best bet is probably to lurk on the boards for a few days and see if you get any ideas of what ideas might work best for you. I wish you all the best getting going.

I know you mean best but your coming off as judgemental. You've lost a lot of weight. I'm happy for you and how you have self control.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    sinfulgrip wrote: »

If I wanted to figure out on my own to break this addiction I wouldn't of wrote this.

I don't know what foods you like or what pattern of eating (e.g. meal times and sizes) works for you. It took me several months to figure out what worked for me - a way to make my calorie goal, feel satisfied, and enjoy my food. It is easier if you cook your own meals.

For me, I kept eating the same things for dinner as I did before I started counting, but I have somewhat smaller portions. I get the urge to eat often even if I'm not hungry, so I keep my breakfast and lunch pretty low calorie (around 150 for breakfast usually, and then around 350 for lunch), so that I have lots of room for snacks. I usually have around 400 cal of snacks at various points during the afternoon (including perhaps one midmorning if I got up early enough) and around 300 after dinner. Dinner is usually 400-500 cal. Of course, these change a bit based on what I've planned for the day. I also drink essentially no calories (water or tea with stevia, no sugar).

One of the best things for me is to pre-plan my day. Then I can easily see if there is room for a treat without being hungry. Sometimes I will decide to have a different snack when the time comes, but it's helpful for me to have a guide anyway.

For some people, my approach would be a complete disaster, I'm sure.
  • MsPican
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    You are the only one who can figure it out. No one is going to be able to tell you what to do unless you are willing to do the work. There is no "magic bullet." Personally I like salads and have them quite often for lunch as well as a side dish. There are plenty of lean meats you can include in your meal plan as well as including "salty, fatty, sweet" items. You are the only one who is in control of what you eat. Nothing anyone here says can control that, only you.

Thank. I'm not looking for a magic bullet. Just looking for advice. Maybe someone out here learn how to stop eating so much candy lol.
  • mathandcats
    edited April 2015
    Options

I know you mean best but your coming off as judgemental. You've lost a lot of weight. I'm happy for you and how you have self control.

Many of us had to learn self control as part of this process. I used to be able to eat a ton of junk food in one go. I still get the desire to, but now I know that if I really want it, I'll have to figure out a way to make it fit. An exception is that I do go over for special events and then just get back on track the next day.

I had learned enough self control to eat one mini chocolate bar at a time, but after a few weeks of that, I started slipping again - "oh just one more"-ing my way through 5 or 6. I had to stop buying them. The cravings go away when you stop eating them for a time...
  • usernameenvy
    Options
    i learnt by having self control and realising what i really wanted, i want a healthy life more than a sweet treat, hence my responses.
  • MsPican
    Options
    Part of fi
    Sweets1954 wrote: »

Thank. I'm not looking for a magic bullet. Just looking for advice. Maybe someone out here learn how to stop eating so much candy lol.

Part of figuring stuff out is getting advice and doing research. If I don't know how, it's not just going to come from within. I apply what I learn.
  • MsPican
    Options

1) you learn to control your binging and fit a candy in to your allowance once a day, allowing you to stick to your calories and lose weight
    2) eat as much as you please and then work your *kitten* off with exercise to take you back to the CICO

It sounds harsh as many other posts might but ive had to take this upon myself because nothing is going to change if you carry on as you are

There not harsh. They're not making sense. Its like saying figure out how to fix the broken air conditioner with no manual. Ok I'm supposed to stop eating sweets by myself. Okk I've been doing really good, "figuring it out" on my owe.
  • usernameenvy
    Options
    Thats just it, there is no manual.

Your will power and strength and want and determination cant be addressed by any one other than you, theres no instruction, no way for anyone to fix it.

People can tell you how they lost weight, their motivations and encouragements and what they went through but thats not going to work for everyone.

People can tell you what to eat and how often to exercise but if you dont force yourself to do it then no one can.

Im not sure how else to say it so ill leave it at that.

Good luck with your journey.
  • MsPican
    Options

Yea your right... I

I don't know what foods you like or what pattern of eating (e.g. meal times and sizes) works for you. It took me several months to figure out what worked for me - a way to make my calorie goal, feel satisfied, and enjoy my food. It is easier if you cook your own meals.

For me, I kept eating the same things for dinner as I did before I started counting, but I have somewhat smaller portions. I get the urge to eat often even if I'm not hungry, so I keep my breakfast and lunch pretty low calorie (around 150 for breakfast usually, and then around 350 for lunch), so that I have lots of room for snacks. I usually have around 400 cal of snacks at various points during the afternoon (including perhaps one midmorning if I got up early enough) and around 300 after dinner. Dinner is usually 400-500 cal. Of course, these change a bit based on what I've planned for the day. I also drink essentially no calories (water or tea with stevia, no sugar).

One of the best things for me is to pre-plan my day. Then I can easily see if there is room for a treat without being hungry. Sometimes I will decide to have a different snack when the time comes, but it's helpful for me to have a guide anyway.

For some people, my approach would be a complete disaster, I'm sure.

Thank you. I really appreciate the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. Yes, this will take a few months per planning meals, learning healthy foods I like.
  • MsPican
    Options
    I
    i learnt by having self control and realising what i really wanted, i want a healthy life more than a sweet treat, hence my responses.

Yea I do too. I have to stop giving in. I have to keep reminding myself, I won't get any energy from eating candy or fast food.