5 pounds in a week, anyone able to do it?

Options
i don't even know if this is possible, but has anyone here been able to lose five pounds in a week?
If so, what did you do? What was your diet and workout routine like, and what was your starting weight?

Replies

• bobhawkanson
    Options
    Yes, I lost 5 lbs in week 2. Feeling great and staying motivated.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why such the rush? How old are you really?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's possible. It will also likely come back the next week once you eat food.

What's the rush?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you're morbidly obese, yes.

If you're a teenage girl posing as a 92 year old, probably not.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Don't do that.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 5 lbs in week 2. Feeling great and staying motivated.

Are you male or female? What was your starting weight and what did you do?
  • jheath2015
    jheath2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, i lost 10 lbs the first week. The biggest change i made was cutting coke/soda/softdrinks/and energy drinks, and also cut fast food. I started eatting grilled chicken breasts steamed broccoli and brown rice for lunch and dinner, and i eat 3 egg whites, and a full egg for breakfast. I eat 1 serving of fruit for a snack. All seperated by about 3 hours. I drink 13-20 cups of water, and i workout, or do cardio EVERYDAY for at least an hour. My starting weight was 249lbs, my 1 week weight is 238.3(today is my 1 week).My suggestion is if youre not a member of a gym, get a membership, and talk to a trainer. Different people have different results, so dont expect the same results as anyone else.

Best of luck.

Justin
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, with most of it being water weight and not at all fat loss, I lost 6 pounds my first week. Of course that's a complete anomaly based on how much water weight I had in my body the first time I weighed, and then, through eating better/a bit less, I had less water weight when I weighed a week later. With maybe a pound or 2 being actual weight loss.
    Other than water weight, or being morbidly obese, no you won't lose that much in a week except for if you have a random 'woosh'. (and wooshes are usually proceeded by at least a couple weeks of no weight loss)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Water weight loss can make it happen at the beginning of a lifestyle change.

Anyone trying actively to lose 5lbs a week is looking at heart palpitations, lean muscle loss, low energy, ect from a 24,500 calorie deficit, which would be incredibly difficult to achieve unless said individual did not eat for a week, exercised constantly, or was overweight/obese. It's not healthy.

Why do you want to lose 5lbs in a week?
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The most I've lost in a week was 7 pounds but I was over 270 and it was the first week (Maybe second) of cutting calories and logging and working out. Since then, I lose roughly 0-2 pounds a week depending on a number of factors.
  • vancesa
    vancesa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost five pounds in a week. One time was at the beginning of my weight loss journey so I had a lot to lose. Another time was a week where I had done a 13 mile training run for a race and it just magically happened. I've never tried for it though, it's just happened.
  • raiders_hokies
    raiders_hokies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7lbs in one week
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WHY?

unless you're morbidly obese it will just be playing with water weight

unless you have a weight class to meet there's little point
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Being morbidly obese during the first week or two of eating at a deficit is probably the only way you can lose 5lbs (which is not entirely water weight) in a reasonably healthy way in 7 days.

The only time I ever did it was when I was 20lbs heavier than I am now, and had also had gastroenteritis. Not a fun experience, and of course all went back on a week later when I could actually retain anything in my body again.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sure but it won't be fat, it will be water weight and perhaps lean tissue.

If your question is really "is it possible to make my body look drastically different in a week?" The answer is no.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if it's even possible.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's possible to travel into space but very few of us on here are going to do that this week either. I lost around 6lbs last week but this is my first week restarting and I'm 5'2 and 200lbs.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    Just wondering if it's even possible.

Possible? well probably but is it a good idea no, Not unless you have 200 pounds to lose
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    i don't even know if this is possible, but has anyone here been able to lose five pounds in a week?
    If so, what did you do? What was your diet and workout routine like, and what was your starting weight?

Yes, if you’re just talking weight, I’ve done it many times (lost 5 lbs in a day once doing an ultra-marathon). Weight includes things like muscle, fat, bone, water, and food-stuff in your digestive track. You could do a two day fast, cut back on sodium, and keep your water low and you’d drop that (some fighters and weight lifters do this and other things to make weight).

If you’re talking pure fat loss, the answer is likely no unless you have a lot of fat to lose. Do something as intense as they do on the Biggest Loser and you’ll see those drastic (albeit not really healthy) changes.

So the real answer is not really if you care about your health and wellbeing.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs in 3 days once by not eating anything. Then I ate and gsined 9 lbs on the 4th day.