am I the only one gaining weight?

Options
I have been working out every day. I also started running. I am watching everything I eat and am always below the required amount. In the last 2 days I gained 6 pounds. :( Can anyone help?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? How did you determine it? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you weighing your food?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weight fluctuates everyday, it's perfectly normal. Especially if you've started a new work out routine or eaten a lot of salty food, as those will make you retain water for a few days. It can also happen if you're on your period. And it happens anyway even without these things. Perfectly normal. It'll be gone in a few days (unless, of course, you've actually eaten 21,000 extra calories in the last 2 days).
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes... weight definitely fluctuates everday so I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, it takes a few weeks to start noticing differences when you make a change. I bet in a couple of weeks you'll notice that the 6 lbs is gone and maybe slightly more. Don't get frustrated, be patient.
  • luv4horses118
    luv4horses118 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be patient. lol I usually eat between 1,000 calories and 1,400 a day. I don't weigh my food but I measure it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Two days is way too early to be concerned.

Why is your calorie goal so low? If you are not weighing, you may be eating much more than you think.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food using a digital scale
    Log your exercise carefully (50-75% of MFP burns)

read the stickies at the top on calorie counting 101

and don't worry about day to day fluctuations
  • MrPlate
    MrPlate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As someone has noted above weight can fluctuate 3 or 4 pounds a day! I was really disappointed at the early results when I started dieting and exercising at the same time. You gain muscle and in the long run, that is a good thing because muscles are like the engine of a car. Bigger muscles will burn more calories.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    As someone has noted above weight can fluctuate 3 or 4 pounds a day! I was really disappointed at the early results when I started dieting and exercising at the same time. You gain muscle and in the long run, that is a good thing because muscles are like the engine of a car. Bigger muscles will burn more calories.

It's actually very difficult to put on muscle weight while eating at a deficit. What can happen is that our muscles can hold more water weight while recovering from exercise.

• luv4horses118
    Options
    I have always had trouble meeting my calorie goal. I am usually always below. I found out about a year ago that I have hypothyroidism. So my weight has been affected by that. I just started adding weight training also a few weeks ago. I hurt my back really bad about a year ago and just had surgery to fix it and just got the ok to workout again the beginning of april. I wonder if that has to do with anything.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be patient. lol I usually eat between 1,000 calories and 1,400 a day. I don't weigh my food but I measure it.

get a food scale and measure all solids and as many liquids as possible ….

more than likely you are underestimating calories consumed and are eating more than you think.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Are you due to start your period soon? You could be gaining water weight from that.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

more than likely you are underestimating calories consumed and are eating more than you think.

This...its so easy to get it wrong when guessing and the estimates will add up ridiculously quick!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you gained 6 lbs of fat in 2 days. However, weight fluctuates based on water consumption, hormone levels, when you last ate, etc. The only way to figure out if you're eating too much is with a food scale.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Let's see.....

Getting your period?
    Ovulating?
    Eat a lot of salt?
    Eat a decent amount of pasta or bread?
    Sore muscles retaining water?
    Take ibuprofen?
    Get dehydrated a day ago?
    Travel on a plane?
    Spend a lot of time outside in heat and humidity?

These are the things I KNOW will make the scale pop up for me the next day.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This...its so easy to get it wrong when guessing and the estimates will add up ridiculously quick!!

That's for sure. I was thinking about having one of hubbies muffins from Costco. I weighed it, but the serving size said 1 muffin is 5.8 oz 669 calories, nope, it was actually 6.5 oz @ 745 calories. I skipped the muffin :lol:
  • luv4horses118
    Options
    I am going to get a scale :) a lot of my foods are weight watcher meals or other diet frozen foods, soups, salads, and shakeology :)
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am going to get a scale :) a lot of my foods are weight watcher meals or other diet frozen foods, soups, salads, and shakeology :)

Those foods are full of sodium! Too much sodium leads to water retention and water retention leads to weight on the scale.