Broken back........back at it!

Options
I used to train hard until I had a stupid misshap going down the stairs at home. Fell and broke my back. Surprising because I'm not normally the clumsy type, but I was that day. So here I am two years later, sore back, a fat gut and just frustrated with the health I'm in. I'm not going to sit around and whine and feel sorry for myself anymore. I hate what I see in the mirror now. It's just not who I am.
I'm starting over again and it's frustrating, but in the end I know I'll feel better if I just get my lazy butt up and lift. I'm going to be pushing hard and hope to make some new friends along the way. Hope to hear from you guys!

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
    I was reading your post and thinking, the worst accidents seem to happen just like that. Doing something we do every day...A broken back is a scary thing, glad you are up and moving!
    Good luck on your journey back to fitness!
  • hanscbrinker
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, it's much appreciated. :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you. I slipped and broke my ankle, in two spots, just over 6 months ago. Surgery and a plate and 9 screws later I'm starting to gain my life back, but still don't have the flexibility or support my ankle once had. I'm stuck to low impact exercise, which sucks since I was a runner pre-accident. I've put on 25lbs and trying hard to log food and make some better food choices and get back into exercise and listen to my ankle so I don't overdo it. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • chrissy9582
    Options
    I also am just back in the game from a back injury. It wasn't broken, but I have a lot of tears in my lower back discs and bulges and nerve impingment...so it hurts.

I struggle with the food side of things. I stress eat and comfort eat and I have a lot of stress currently. I am a newly single (divorced literally 2 weeks ago) and have twins that are 3.5 yrs old and with me full time. I also work a full time job.

So, lets keep eachother going! Accountable! I need help....I really do.
    -Christine
  • christinaunderwood39
    christinaunderwood39 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I broke my neck and wrist 3.5 years ago and I totally understand what you are going thru. One thing I have learned is that there are things that I can't do know so learning to adapt and finding things that work for you now is important. Good luck in your recovery.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Props to you for getting back into the swing of things. If you have some time you might be encouraged by googling Louie Simmons. He broke his back, twice, and is still by far & away the strongest man his age. If I remember correctly he had a combined 1800 lb lift (720 squat, 500-some pound bench, 600-some pound deadlift) age the age of 62 - again, this is after he broke his back, twice. I find that very encouraging!
  • hanscbrinker
    Options
    djprice_69 wrote: »
    Props to you for getting back into the swing of things. If you have some time you might be encouraged by googling Louie Simmons. He broke his back, twice, and is still by far & away the strongest man his age. If I remember correctly he had a combined 1800 lb lift (720 squat, 500-some pound bench, 600-some pound deadlift) age the age of 62 - again, this is after he broke his back, twice. I find that very encouraging!

I'm going to look it up for sure. Thanks :)