Always hungry

Hello All!!

I'm day 4 on a 1200 calorie a day diet and it's so hard!!! I am soooo hungry my stomach hurts! How can I control my hunger? Or what can I eat satisfy it that is low in calories?

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Try eating high protein and high fiber snacks. They take longer to digest so you feel fuller for a little while longer. Also, drinking lots of water helps you feel full :]
  • tinakathleen525
    tinakathleen525 Posts: 26 Member
    Thank you! I was a vegetarian and just started eating chicken again for the high protein and low carb diet I am trying .... I will try to increase my fiber :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • naughtymum42
    naughtymum42 Posts: 20 Member
    Do lots of exercise, as you end up pushing through your hunger for longer, as your mind is occupied on something other than eating...plus you surprisingly don't feel so. Hungry afterward. You also burn calories in the process so win win all round
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    kandell wrote: »
    Try eating high protein and high fiber snacks. They take longer to digest so you feel fuller for a little while longer. Also, drinking lots of water helps you feel full :]

This!!!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    One of my go-to snacks is the 90 calorie fiber bar from Fiber One. It's surprisingly filling and easy to keep around (I almost always have a box in my desk).

I also agree with Diannethegeek's points. Especially number 7. I've noticed that when I'm busy and don't have time to pay attention to the clock, I don't really get hungry. It's when I'm sitting for hours with nothing to do that I'm like "Oh hey it's meal time, now I'm starving".
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Hi there,
    Just stick it out. Same thing happened to me the first week. I'm into week 2 and the hunger is much better. Try to eat your first meal a little later than you did before...Lunch the same and dinner too. That way, you are not starving at bed time. I am also on 1200 calories. It does get better. I promise. Drink lots of water.
    AND....I totally agree with hunger being a habit as the person above said.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

this. please don't take this the wrong way, but you don't look like you have enough to lose to be eating that little. take it slow, do it right, and keep the weight off for good. :) you're worth it, I promise!
  • tinakathleen525
    Thanks guys!!! I usually eat avocados and like some coconut products but when I enter it my calories are done by lunch time! I've been so confused about what to eat I'm trying to lose 20lbs by end of October and this is what MFP told me to stay at (calorie wise)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You probably don't need to eat as little as 1200 cals. What are your stats?
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    I was also told to stay at 1200 calories, I have 20 lbs left to go. I still get hungry, so I decided to just change it up a bit...some days go over 1200, some days stay at it. It does get easier though! Stick with it.
  • stefaniem76
    stefaniem76 Posts: 37 Member
    I agree with the person who posted about the BMR and TDEE. I used to use MFP's suggestion of 1200 calories a day and was starving. I looked into my BMR and TDEE and created a 500 calorie defecit from that to lose a pound a week. Some days I eat extra workout calories and sometimes I don't, but I find this much more sustainable and it's working. Good luck!
  • tinakathleen525
    Thank you for the feed back! It feels good knowing I'm not alone!! Yes I am bored at work it's true.... I'm 5'3" and 134lbs currently (33 years) and am pear shaped. I'm getting married in October and want to get back down to my weight I was in my 20's lol some of my clothes are really tight now and it's been a devastating blow to my self esteem
  • TavistockToad
    Thank you for the feed back! It feels good knowing I'm not alone!! Yes I am bored at work it's true.... I'm 5'3" and 134lbs currently (33 years) and am pear shaped. I'm getting married in October and want to get back down to my weight I was in my 20's lol some of my clothes are really tight now and it's been a devastating blow to my self esteem

Do you get 1200 cals when you set MFP to lose 1lb per week?
  • tinakathleen525
    Tavis.... YES! That's what it told me I had to eat
  • tinakathleen525
    I just ate a packet of trader joes instant oatmeal and that was a joke! I'm still ravenous :(
  • TavistockToad
    I just ate a packet of trader joes instant oatmeal and that was a joke! I'm still ravenous :(

Porridge never fills me up.

Looks like you'll need to add in some exercise to get some more calories. Or opt for slower weight loss.
  • tinakathleen525
    HA! I'll be hitting the gym later lol
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Could you try having lots of snacky type bits during the day?

I graze so I don't always really have meals at work. I have fruit, yoghurt, salsa and veggies to dip, extra light soft cheese and crackers, cup soup, corncakes (prefer to rice cakes), salads, home made soup, seafood sticks, mussels/prawns...thats just a quick off the top of my head

Prep and weigh everything the night before and pop in little tupperwear tubs, ready to go for morning. Also helps me cuz if I take a packet of crackers...I might just eat all the crackers. OK its probably not the most devistating thing ever but...

I do have dinner in the evenings. Most of the time. If I can be bothered to cook. Popcorn for dinner again? Yup....
  • tinakathleen525
    Ha popcorn is my fave filling snack right now, that and pickles. Unfortunately I didn't bring either to work today