Losing Weight and Pregnancy

Options
So I'm back at my starting weight and just started eating "correctly" again. I'm about 65 lbs overweight for my frame (the same weight I've fluctuated around for the last 8+ years). My husband and I want to start trying for #2 soon.

I know you should only be eating about 100 extra calories a day when pregnant, but how does that work out when you're trying to lose weight too? I want to be healthier this pregnancy and plan to incorporate exercise and much healthier foods. But I still need to cut down on my calories. Should I take the calories I should eat based on 1 lbs lost a week and add 100 per day? Is there some other secret formula?

Tried looking via Search but couldn't find much.

Replies

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don't try to lose weight while you're pregnant. That's a awful idea and exactly why you can't find any "secret formulas" when you google it. Try to lose the weight before you get pregnant. After you concieve #2, exercise regularly and eat a proper diet.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is something you really should discuss with your Dr. I would hesitate to offer any recommendations because I'm just not qualified.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be argumentative, but why is it an awful idea? I eat probably 4,000 calories a day "maintaining" my current weight, and I can't imagine that's at all healthy for a growing baby. I'm not looking for a drastic change while pregnant, but I'd like to lose some weight during pregnancy so that I end up "only" 50 lbs overweight after birth.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is something you really should discuss with your Dr.
    . Part of the reason why I switched to a new OB a few months ago. The doctor I had when pregnant with #1 was not at ALL concerned about my weight, even though I was. I started that pregnancy 65 lbs overweight as well. When I asked how much I should gain since I was obese to begin with I was told to not worry about it and "just eat healthy".

I did the best I could and only gained 11 lbs (most of that water weight), but still felt like recovery was worse than it should have been because of my weight.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you can't take a year to take care of yourself & your health before trying for #2?