Why am I not losing weight? So frustrating :/

Options
Ok I'm male, 19, 5'7 and 151 pounds. Around six weeks ago I was the same and I used a calorie calculator to find my BMR and it was around 2000 (that's set at a SEDENTARY activity level). The past five weeks I've been pretty strict to a 1500 calorie diet and I have been working out every DAY alternating between cardio sessions and full body lifting. Yet I am still 151 pounds to this day. What am I doing wrong? Should I continue to cut my calories even more, maybe to like 1300?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, you may get some helpful specific feedback. Often when people aren't losing, it's due to issues with their logging.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason you want to be 139 pounds? As a male, that's pretty thin. IMO of course.
  • chaotic2h
    chaotic2h Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Because I used to be 140 a year ago at the same height. My muscle mass is the same yet I'm ten pounds heavier. I'd like to lose all that fat
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    chaotic2h wrote: »
    Because I used to be 140 a year ago at the same height. My muscle mass is the same yet I'm ten pounds heavier. I'd like to lose all that fat

Okay.

Do you use a food scale to weigh your food?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This is wrong. There are kids in Africa that would love to have your extra weight!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Wut?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    This is wrong. There are kids in Africa that would love to have your extra weight!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Oh please.

Also, OP - your BMR is 1660. Your TDEE is 1992.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Wut?

I'm pretty sure this was a joke. This was a joke, right?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm male, 19, 5'7 and 151 pounds. Around six weeks ago I was the same and I used a calorie calculator to find my BMR and it was around 2000 (that's set at a SEDENTARY activity level). The past five weeks I've been pretty strict to a 1500 calorie diet and I have been working out every DAY alternating between cardio sessions and full body lifting. Yet I am still 151 pounds to this day. What am I doing wrong? Should I continue to cut my calories even more, maybe to like 1300?

Ok your TDEE is 2000 I take it not your BMR? You do not have a lot of weight to lose so should aim for 0.5lb a week. Input your stats into MFP and it will tell you what you should be eating. A bigger deficit will be too aggressive with you being a male. Men should consume at least 1500 calories a day or so I believe?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ok, Gramma, I'll eat all my peas...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, you are well within the normal weight range for your height. You might want to look into recomp if you're unhappy with your appearance.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

The scale is not the only measurement of success and I'll argue that it's the least important. Grab a tape measure (the kind used for sewing, not carpentry) and start tracking your body measurements here on MFP. Continue to lift weights and measure yourself periodically. Step on the scale every week or two. When one isn't moving, the other often is especially if you're lifting weights.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First you're confusing BMR and TDEE. BMR isn't affected by activity.
    Second, your deficit is way too big for your weight... Switch to half a pound loss a week.
    Third, it's normal when you start a new exercise regimen to retain water for a while.
    Fourth, make sure you're not underestimating your food portions.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, you are well within the normal weight range for your height. You might want to look into recomp if you're unhappy with your appearance.

/thread.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason you want to be 139 pounds? As a male, that's pretty thin. IMO of course.

5.7" and male, I was thinking the same thing
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle will help your physique immensely
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a recomp, instead of losing weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

/thread.

yep!