Dairy- and grain-free snacks?

Options
Since I typically eat 6 times per day, my snacks in between meals are generally nuts, tuna, greek yogurt, or a KIND bar (sometimes, not very often). I'm trying to think of more snacks I can eat without adding more nuts, grains, or dairy to my diet. I'd prefer snacks with a decent protein content and low/lacking carbohydrates.

Does anyone have any good ones they can recommend?

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, portion of an avocado (lovely with balsamic vinegar and tomatoes), smoked salmon, shrimp & cocktail sauce, sauerkraut, tons of veg.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm on a mushroom kick
  • briandap1
    briandap1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, portion of an avocado (lovely with balsamic vinegar and tomatoes), smoked salmon, shrimp & cocktail sauce, sauerkraut, tons of veg.

Since I eat eggs in the morning I didn't want to do hard boiled in the afternoon. But I occasionally swap out oatmeal with blueberries in the AM so this is a good idea. Avocado I tend to have with lunch or dinner, though mid-day is nice, never thought of it. There are some good options here I never really thought of, thank you!
  • briandap1
    Options
    I'm on a mushroom kick

I eat mushrooms daily, whether in a salad, in stir fry, or just sauteed with my meat dish. I've been using baby bellas for some time how versus the white caps.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know how worried you are about salt content, but I personally love oysters and sardines.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Celery/carrots and hummus.
  • briandap1
    Options
    kaittea wrote: »
    I don't know how worried you are about salt content, but I personally love oysters and sardines.

I've been watching sodium lately since it would make me retain water. I try to keep it pretty low if possible.
  • briandap1
    Options
    Celery/carrots and hummus.

This I already do, forgot to mention it!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    briandap1 wrote: »
    Since I typically eat 6 times per day, my snacks in between meals are generally nuts, tuna, greek yogurt, or a KIND bar (sometimes, not very often). I'm trying to think of more snacks I can eat without adding more nuts, grains, or dairy to my diet. I'd prefer snacks with a decent protein content and low/lacking carbohydrates.

You eat nuts and grains and dairy but you don't want more?

That leaves non-nut proteins (jerky, packaged meat like deli slizes), fruit (hand fruits like apples, oranges, tangerines, or berries), vegetables (baby carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper slices, etc) with non-dairy dips like italian dressing, hummus, oil, etc.

Why no additional dairy? There are great snack dips like greek yoghurt tzatziki that I just love to dip veggies in
  • briandap1
    Options

That leaves non-nut proteins (jerky, packaged meat like deli slizes), fruit (hand fruits like apples, oranges, tangerines, or berries), vegetables (baby carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper slices, etc) with non-dairy dips like italian dressing, hummus, oil, etc.

Why no additional dairy? There are great snack dips like greek yoghurt tzatziki that I just love to dip veggies in

It's not that I'm fully against them, I don't want to add any more than I have to. I try to keep my dairy and nut intake to once a day (somewhat lactose intolerance doesn't help either). Do you have a good recipe for the tzatziki?
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Calbee Snapea Crisps are so delicious. They are not super low in carbs (about 16grams per serving) but it's seriously like eating potato chips. I splurge occasionally with them :)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

It's not that I'm fully against them, I don't want to add any more than I have to. I try to keep my dairy and nut intake to once a day (somewhat lactose intolerance doesn't help either). Do you have a good recipe for the tzatziki?

I'm super lactose intolerant. I take a lactase enzyme supplement with the first bite of dairy and I can eat it with ease.

I buy Hannah brand greek yoghurt tzatziki. It's sold at Costco. Based on the ingredients on the back, this is a very similar recipe (I have not tried it): http://greekfood.about.com/od/dipsspreadspures1/r/Tzatziki.htm
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Edamame bean pods because, good fat and protein content with the carbs. And they haven't been mentioned yet.
  • briandap1
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Roasted chickpeas

Bought a bag of these yesterday to try. Very good. I'll most likely make my own next round.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Meatballs/hamburger patties/sausages with tomato salsa. You could wrap them in lettuce leaves as a wrap....

Green Smoothie made with greens, berries, protein, coconut milk

Protein pancakes

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    my new favorite thing is red bell pepper sliced up and dipped in ranch dressing. I have the extra calories to use on regular ranch, but you could dip them in something lower calorie :) Quick and easy, and I love the contrast between the sweetness of the pepper with the dip!