Net Calories are under but still not losing weight, Need help!

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Try this:

Eat at home as much as possible for two weeks. If you can't eat at home then go to the store and buy food in a package that has the calories on it. For example you can get some hard boiled eggs and string cheese or whatever. But don't go get a super burrito at the local Mexican joint down the road. In other words, eliminate all guessing. Weigh everything that goes in your mouth. Include cooking oil, condiments, dressing etc. and find the entries for those items with a scale weight in grams.

Next, don't log your exercise, or if you really want to, then log it at the end of the day before going to bed. In other words don't eat the calories you get from exercise. Instead, adjust you're activity level up slightly on MFP to include the exercise you do. Start with "slightly active". Set MFP to burn 1 pound a week. You'll probably burn more than this if you're exercising a lot and not logging it.

Do these steps to eliminate all the errors in measuring and estimating exercise calories. Do this for two weeks and see what happens. From there you can tweak your program. If you're loosing too much you can up your activity level setting in MFP. If you're not losing 0.5-1 pounds then lower you activity level in MFP.

This will help you calibrate your brain to how much calories are in typical food items. Once you get that down you can start eating at restaurants again, but this time you'll know much better how much calories are in the items you order because you've eaten a lot of the components separately at home. If you start eating at restaurants again and you stop losing. Then you know that that's your problem and you should probably cut down on going out to eat to once a week.
  • spainsoccerfreak
    spainsoccerfreak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who post positive useful advice, its hard sometimes to ask for help here since many ppl can be ready hurtful as if trying to lose weight isnt hard enough, so thanks to those who choose to help me :) I am just at the beggning hopefully make it thru!
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    With the hurtful people some of them still have some things they say that are helpful to listen to, just disregard the rest. I am pretty new to this myself and have had a similar experience as you. But there are many other really helpful people here so don't let the hurtful people chase you off. :) it takes a some trial and error to find foods and exercise that works for you, also it takes some time to fully utilize MFP to your advantage. At a minimum I suggest logging everything and this is a good starting place. Hang in there. If this was easy we would all weigh want we want to way without any effort.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It looks like your calorie burn estimates are a little high. Think of it this way- running 1 mile burns about 100 calories. To burn 100 calories, the effort is about that of a 1 mile run. I've done the math for my dad before- 4.5 hours golfing is doing all 18 holes, yes? You can probably burn 1000-2000 carrying your own clubs and walking the whole course. Since you're taking the cart, I'm guessing 300-500 calories burned is a good place to start. If you eat back 300-500 calories and you lose weight too rapidly, then you can eat back more.

There are a few entries in your diary that seem like they could be more accurate
    Homemade - Arepas, 1.5 arepa: Unless you created this entry, it is not likely accurate.
    Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 2 large: This entry probably includes a random amount of oil. The oil should be measured and logged separately.
    Dole Banana - Bananas, 3.5 inch medium Banana: This is not a USDA entry, so I wouldn't use it. A 3.5 inch banana is TINY and not at all medium.
    Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 2 large; The calorie count here is 203 calories for 2 large scrambled eggs. 1 large egg = 70-90 calories. How much oil or milk or butter is added? You have no way of knowing who created this entry.
    Chicken Wings - Fried Chicken Wing, 5 Wing: No brand name, not Oz/grams
    Mushrooms - Grilled, 4 medium: Entry doesn't have the type or brand of mushroom, isn't a USDA entry, probably not accurate.
    April 17 you went way over. April 10-12 you had empty entries.

Another thing- all of the eating-out food is possibly underestimated. Places like IHOP and Chipotle do not weigh their portions. You may be eating closer to 1.5 servings when you eat out.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I just looked at your diary and you are eating a HIGH amount of fat in your diet. Cut down on fats and you might start to see progress.

High fat doesn't make someone not lose weight.

and fat sates the appetite for me, hence I feel full longer. Such a shame that media makes us think fat is bad to consume. And how can I eat a proper tuna sandwhich with low/fat free mayo :confounded:
  • uvi5
    Options
    suzeequu wrote: »
    you have to really watch the content of the food..not just the calories. I learned this a long time ago. I also bought a scale, you would be surprised at how little 4oz of chicken really is compared to an estimate. I have a fit bit.. custom set to my body weight, etc so my calories burned is pretty accurate I believe, however, to be safe I rarely eat my exercise calories back.
    sometimes calorie burn is very inaccurate. I saw a post that said someone burned 22 cals during 85 mins on an elliptical...aint no way ! good luck.

ouch, i think I burn more than that taking a shower :tongue:
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks to those who post positive useful advice, its hard sometimes to ask for help here since many ppl can be ready hurtful as if trying to lose weight isnt hard enough, so thanks to those who choose to help me :) I am just at the beggning hopefully make it thru!

You are on your way. You'll start to get it. I thought I had an idea of what I was doing until I joined here, then I learned so much that when I look back in retrospect, I did not know squat... Now I'm doing squats :lol: Also, one thing that's really helped me is that I am having as much fun as possible doing this. Good Luck and have fun!
  • MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stop eating out and log your food accurately. If something can't be logged accurately, don't eat it. And golf shouldn't even count as exercise...really?
  • spainsoccerfreak
    spainsoccerfreak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys so much for the help, and golf might not be strong workout but still is workout :) dont knock it till you try it, might be off quite a bit on how hard of a workout yes proably but thats why I am here working on trying to fix it!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I kinda think that there are 3 pieces of data that are key here.

[*] Number of days that you have logged- 6 days isn't very many. 20 or 30 is a better sample size
    [*] food tracking.
    [*] Exercise tracking

A tip to increase your success is to eliminate guess at calorie counts on prepared food...take out, restaurant stuff like chicken wings or deli items. For the time being until you start seeing some weight loss don't eat it if you don't know precisely the calorie count.

Based on my experience a HRM is terrible in warmer spring and summer weather and for indoor exercisers since our hearts work harder to keep us cool.
  • tarrasandwick
    tarrasandwick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for underestimating food calories and overestimating exercise calories.

My number one tip for newbies is to find a good calorie amount for YOU (this will require some wiggle room), a good start is to go through this calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Take that number and then follow the instructions on the page to get your recommended daily calories.

Then follow that number for 2 weeks. Weigh everything on a food scale (solid and semi-solid), and measure using measuring cups (liquid).

*Do not eat back your exercise calories*

After those 2 weeks, look back and reevaluate. Did you lose weight? Were you always hungry? (Note that your body needs time to adjust to eating reduced amounts of food). Add in an extra 100 calories per day if this is the case, and repeat again in 2 weeks.

Once you find the right amount of daily calories that feels right for you, stick with it. When I started I was doing 1200 because of MFP's stupid auto feature, felt better when I popped it up to 1300, but it didn't stick. Now I've been eating at 1600-1800 per day for the last year and it's working great.

The idea is that you want to be eating as much food as possible while still losing weight. You want it to be sustainable for the long run, and able to be adjustable around plateaus. If you're only eating at 1200 (never do this), and you stop losing, where can you go if you want to reduce your calories? If you eat at a sustainable level, you won't starve yourself and make yourself miserable. Being constantly miserable and hungry guarantees that you won't ultimately succeed in your weight loss efforts. :)

• tarrasandwick
    Options
    What is bmi, I just calculated it and it says 1289.5, also what is op thanks
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

BMI is your Body Mass Index (quick Body Fat Calculation)

You figured out your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate). Basically the amount of calories you'd need per day to sustain yourself in a coma.

OP = Original Poster.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate monitor certainly isn't made for calculating calories from a 4.5 hour activity like golfing. One problem is that it will be trying to give you gross calories burned....even sitting on the couch it would say you burned hundreds of calories (and that would be correct), but you wouldn't add those calories back because they are already factored in to your BMR/TDEE.

You really need the NET calories burned (net of the calories you'd burn just by being alive). When you're talking about steady state cardio for a relatively short period of time it doesn't matter as much. When you're talking about a 4.5 hour period you really start double counting those calories from just being alive.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I cannot comment on what you do, but maybe I can tell you what I do when I am successful and some of that may help! Other posters commented on your macros. I NEVER pay attention to macros and I do not worry about fat content. I DO worry about - eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies and protein, cutting way back on fried food and processed carbs, trying not to eat out (too many calories, easy to overeat and underestimate, too much salt, MSG, and processed carbs), trying not to overestimate exercise (I NEVER eat back more than 300 to 500 calories of exercise a day - I would also never eat back more than what would total my maintenance calories for the day). I also eat within a range of daily calories depending on amount of exercise (with the above caveats), so I do not think there is anything wrong with that and it has helped me. On really hungry, active days, I eat more. On days I am not as hungry, less active, or more regimented, I eat less. Some say it helps your metabolism. That may be, but for me it keeps me from giving up and keeps me headed in the right direction without getting discouraged. Good luck!!
  • tarrasandwick
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

BMI is your Body Mass Index (quick Body Fat Calculation)

You figured out your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate). Basically the amount of calories you'd need per day to sustain yourself in a coma.

OP = Original Poster.

• tarrasandwick
    Options
    Why do u say, to sustain myself in a coma, I guess it's gone over my head
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm curious. What did you do on Sunday to burn 1,500 cals?!
  • tarrasandwick
    Options

• tarrasandwick
    Options
    U r awesome, thanks for all the positivity!!!!