Not diabetic but still watch your sugar intake?

Options
Are any of you not diabetic but you still try to keep your sugar intake below a certain number of grams per sugar per day? I'm thinking about maybe doing that. Any idea what a good goal/number to shoot for would be?

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. But if you want to...

I read MFP's goals are minimums...for ADDED sugar. (That is any sugar that is not naturally in fruits and vegetables). But MFP counts those too. So just be aware of that.

I find it easy to stick to the goal. I've cut out most sugar I add to food and even all foods that taste sweet to me, in an attempt to change my taste preferences.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    But there is no real reason to do it. It has no effect on weight loss itself if you go over the goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of added sugar, so I don't worry about it. If my diet consisted of lot of cake washed down with 40 ounce Big Gulps I would probably try to rectify that, but it doesn't and I'm not going to get into all of the fruit fear mongering that goes on in RE to sugar...
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I watch my sugar intake even though I have good blood glucose numbers & am fit. Just dont need extra sugar or salt for that matter. IMO.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I have insulin resistance. I don't watch my sugar intake, but I do limit my sugar/starchy carbohydrate intake (sweets, potato, pasta, rice, etc.) to 30g per meal/snack.
  • briandap1
    briandap1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess a good guideline is 5% or less, in grams, of your total caloric intake daily: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/

I would also think this is for added/refined sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic in remission and I still eat like a diabetic. I don't monitor my sugar intake. I make sure every meal has protein included and I try and hit all my macros.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I have insulin resistance. I don't watch my sugar intake, but I do limit my sugar/starchy carbohydrate intake (sweets, potato, pasta, rice, etc.) to 30g per meal/snack.

My situation is similar. I'm not diabetic, but I would be in the pre-diabetes or diabetes range if I ate a standard American diet. I try to limit carbs to 100G/day and never go over MFPs sugar recommendation.

I do this for long-term health, but I also find that I can't lose weight with a higher carb intake. I tend to eat one serving of fruit a day and one serving of whole grains. The rest of my diet is protein and veggies. It's really not very limiting.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs reasonable (sugar = carbs) because I have PCOS. For the average person out there, they don't need to worry about sugar intake as long as their calorie goals are being maintained. Cutting sugar is just one way some people like to maintain a calorie deficit but it does not necessarily have any added health benefits.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic and I do not have a specific goal, but I do keep an eye on my sugar intake. On days I've tracked, I average about 30g per day total sugar. I eat a pretty high carb diet because my goal is high fiber.