Crock Pot Recipes?

Options
soccerkon26
soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
I have a long commute after work and would love some crock pot recipes that I could prepare in the morning and let sit for about 11 hours! Is that possible?

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    There are lots of threads on here with the same question. Just hit the search button and type in crockpot recipes and they should come up. Hope this helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can get a crock pot with a timer so it starts later or finishes sooner. I find my recipes are best if they don't cook more than eight hours. I think bean-based chilis are the most forgiving for long cook times. Tomorrow I will be doing a repeat on a white chili recipe.

Crock Pot White Chicken Chili

This pulled pork recipe looks really good.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I just recently found this website. You might find something that you'd like here: http://www.slowcookeradventures.com/p/recipe-index.html
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pork Butt or Shoulder or Beef Chuck Roast in a Crock Pot
    • Get a hunk of meat that fits in the pot. It'll shrink down to about 2/3 it's size.
    • Salt it about 12 tsp or more per lb of meat
    • Salt some water (maybe 1/2 tsp salt per qt of water) and add it so it comes about 2/3 to 3/4 up to the top of the meat
    • Turn on low and come back in 11 hours to eat
    Make it even better if you want to by browning the meat in a little oil first.
    Make it better yet by adding two halves of an onion a couple each carrots and celery stalks cut or broken enough so they fit it the crock pot. Replace the celery with a seeded and stemmed Poblano pepper if you feel like it. Toss in a couple bay leaves if you got any. By the way, add this stuff at the beginning, not the end.

This recipe has been written to precise specifications so be sure not to deviate from it in any way.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    [*] Salt it about 12 tsp or more per lb of meat

This recipe has been written to precise specifications so be sure not to deviate from it in any way.

Just checking, is that supposed to read 12 teaspoons or 1/2 teaspoon?
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

Just checking, is that supposed to read 12 teaspoons or 1/2 teaspoon?

oops Meant 1/2. 1 or even 1 1/2 might be OK. 12 tsp per lb would be too much for anybody's taste.

Thanks minizebu.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Italian beef sandwiches. Buy a cheap beef roast....dump it in the crock pot. Dump an entire jar of hot giardinaire (the chopped kind for sandwiches) or mild if you prefer....but the long cooking time drastically reduces the heat.

Cook. shred with two forks and serve on rolls, over rice, or eat plain.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    meatloaf -

1.5# ground beef
    2 eggs
    3/4 c milk
    2/3 c bread crumbs
    small onion diced
    splash of Worcestershire
    chopped garlic to taste

1/4c ketchup
    2 tbspn brown sugar
    1 tsp Worcestershire

Dump the first 6 ingredients into the crock pot.....and stir. Pat it into the bottom of the crock pot. cook on low for about 6 hours (it can site on warm until you get home). When home, mix the last 3 ingredients together and spread over the meatloaf....cook o high for 10 minutes pr until the sauce is warm.
  • zenaidaruiz1
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    meatloaf -

1.5# ground beef
    2 eggs
    3/4 c milk
    2/3 c bread crumbs
    small onion diced
    splash of Worcestershire
    chopped garlic to taste

1/4c ketchup
    2 tbspn brown sugar
    1 tsp Worcestershire

Dump the first 6 ingredients into the crock pot.....and stir. Pat it into the bottom of the crock pot. cook on low for about 6 hours (it can site on warm until you get home). When home, mix the last 3 ingredients together and spread over the meatloaf....cook o high for 10 minutes pr until the sauce is warm.

• zenaidaruiz1
    Options
    How copy this recipe in my wall
  • zenaidaruiz1
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    meatloaf -

1.5# ground beef
    2 eggs
    3/4 c milk
    2/3 c bread crumbs
    small onion diced
    splash of Worcestershire
    chopped garlic to taste

1/4c ketchup
    2 tbspn brown sugar
    1 tsp Worcestershire

• spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As others have said, many slow cookers have timers or "keep warm" settings so your food won't actually be cooking all day.

A favorite I'm making later this week is to throw in chicken (bone-in gives the best flavor), cubed sweet potatoes, onion, and mushroom, then cover with white wine (cut with water or broth to lower the calorie count) and add salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Crock Pot Recipes

sometimes the spices/seasoning for these can be a bit light.. so adjust accordingly before serving to your tastes. I've done the sweet barbacoa pork many times-but I refuse to use chemical crud from diet/zero coke. so I use reg coke and adjust cals accordingly.

• beankid
    beankid Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Pulled bbq chicken
    2 lbs chicken breast
    Season with salt/pepper
    Cup of your favorite bbq sauce mixture
    Throw in crockpot on high for 3.5 hours. Shred chicken let it cook for 15 more min.

Shredded beef taco
    2.5 chuck roast
    1 pack of favorite taco seasoning
    Can of beef broth
    Let cook on low 8-10 hours
    Transfer to platter, shred meat remove fat
    Return shredded beef to pot for 30 min.

Eat over rice, salad, tortillas, shells, however you want.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I love this French onion soup and it's dead easy:

Slice onions into thick rounds or half-circles (you want them thick so they don't disintegrate), enough to completely fill the Crockpot. Put a stick of butter or margarine on top along with plenty of thyme. Leave it on low all night (8-10 hours). In the morning, add enough beef stock (and optionally sherry or red wine) to cover the (now beautifully caramelized) onions by at least three inches; let that go on low for the entire workday (another 8-10 hours, but longer won't hurt anything). Ladle into oven-safe bowls, top each with good crusty bread and some Gruyere (or similar creamy semi-hard cheese), and broil until the bread is toasty & cheese is bubbly. SO GOOD.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If your crockpot doesn't have a timer, you can just buy one of those little electric socket timers and set it to turn on/off. They're around $5