Find walking boring

Options
Does anybody else get really bored of walking?
I try to walk about 3 miles a day (in 2seperate stints) but am walking alone and already losing interest because its the same couple of routes and they're not very interesting ones either.
I'm thinking of getting a treadmill but then i'd just be in a room indoors and not getting the fresh air etc.
How can I make it more interesting?

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I find music really motivating. I make very upbeat playlists for exercise and only listen to them when I am moving.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Find a new route!
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I live in the woods so I don't go walking, I go adventuring. I pick a beach or a trail I am not used to and find something I did not know was there. Are there any wildlife refuges, state parks, or other outdoors places near you?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I agree, music makes a big difference.

I don't know that a treadmill will be of much help to you. I love walking outside but find the treadmill boring.
  • TheHumanMachine
    TheHumanMachine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't walk 6 miles a day without music. Get some tunes.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Get a dog? Take a friend? Join a walking group?

I find walking fairly boring myself, but walking with the dog is a vast improvement and good motivation. Walking with a friend/partner/spouse is even better (unless your dog can carry on an intelligent conversation) and definitely makes the time go by.

To be honest... if I have a choice between a walk or a run I will take the run every time. Not only does running burn through calories faster, you get the additional cardio benefits, impact benefits (good for your bones), and just navigating streets or trails is more of a mental challenge so the time passes. Along the same lines I prefer running on trails (dog loves this too) because there's even more mental stimulation and of course I have to pay attention so I don't trip on a tree root and go flying.

Alternatively... take up cycling? Riding a bike is again more mentally stimulating as the scene changes rapidly.

I don't run (or ride) with headphones on, but if I was determined to walk a lot more than I already do I'd probably don the 'phones and listen to music or more likely interesting podcasts on my phone.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I hate walking, but I looooove hiking. So much to look at in the woods. :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    find a different route. Listen to music. Taking a dog with you is a great idea.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt do a treadmill. i have one and would far rather walk outside. why not switch it up and try biking? start adding some jogging. but ya find music that motivates u! if i did the same walk at the same pace with no music i would want to give up too
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with the music as motivator. I have a cheap MP3 player with lots of fast tunes. Use Jog FM.com to find songs for a good walking pace (4 MPH is 140's). Other people use audiobooks for motivation.

A treadmill did motivate me.....for awhile. I know I won't walk outdoors (in the snow).....so I also needed an "indoor walking" outlet.

You might try Walk at Home or Just Walk DVDs by Leslie Sansone. These are really low impact aerobics with zero choreography. You walk in place for awhile, do side steps for awhile, do knee lifts for awhile. Then you add basic arm movements. Changing the moves a bit is more interesting.

On YouTube: Jessica Smith Walking Workouts

On YouTube: Walkathomemedia (Leslie Sansone)
  • kellyannecandy
    kellyannecandy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, think I do need to get some music sorted out and maybe go a bit further to change the route. There really is nobody to come with me and not quite up to running standard at the moment! haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I pay attention to signals I'm getting bored because historically that's when I would quit. When I get bored I have a good sit-down think about it and change it up. Here's some things that I did:
    • Registered for a charity walk, so the walks were preparing me for something
    • Made sure the goal was "stretch" just enough to terrify me mildly
    • When walking got easy, I took a running class
    • I have an app like MapMyRun to record my runs and find new routes
    • I change my routes
    • I use another App, IntervalTimer, to switch between walking and running
    • I change my pace
    • I play my inspirational music set
    • I have a long-term goal to participate in an extreme run, the "Canadian Death Race", one leg.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with music. I could never stand to walk on a treadmill without music. I would also recommend hiking instead of walking if there is somewhere safe to hike near you.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started listening to podcasts that I really enjoyed and would "save" for my walks. They are about 45-55 min in length so it was something to look forward to on my 3 mile walk and I would only allow myself to listen if I walked. I listened to both "Serial" and "Invisibilia" and enjoyed them both. You could look into audio books too!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like listening to a podcast. I'm a Packers fan so I listen to those but the are tons of options!
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I listen to Zombies Run on my ipod touch. I like the story and it doesn't require actual running. It mixes in songs that I have on the ipod. They also have another one called The Walk. I've not tried that one yet.
    Try music, different apps, or even get audio books.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i walk inside on my own treadmill, i use music and i use my android to watch video's and since we moved i the treadmill is at a place were i even can watch tv :)

Next to that i do some Youtube video's ( Leslie Sansome etc)

The walking outside still seem to be heavy for my knee and hips. But i try sometimes :) Will get there too.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to walk to get someplace. Yesterday I walked to the library to renew my card. Got a couple muffins from a bakery and stopped at the grocery store on the way back. Three miles total. Saturday I walked 6.4 miles round trip to a farmers market. I know exactly how far because I looked these places up on Google maps. I have a list of 32 different places between .5 and 5.0 miles and the list is growing. Most I've walked to many times. The strategy broke down last summer in +100° summer heat so now I have a treadmill too.
    I listen to music or watch TV/movies on the tread mill but not on the street. I want to be aware of my surroundings outside.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I agree with the music as motivator. I have a cheap MP3 player with lots of fast tunes. Use Jog FM.com to find songs for a good walking pace (4 MPH is 140's). Other people use audiobooks for motivation.
    Thanks for the website link Teabea. :)
    Yes OP, Music will definitely motivate you more.
    I go Powerwalking with my headphones on and New Sony Walkman.....and love it!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Are there any walking trails in your area?