Why or how can similar people weigh so much more/less than others?

Hello All:

I know I am not supposed to compare myself to others but it can be difficult. Here is my question.

I was watching Bulging Brides the other day and two women on the show had pretty much the same stats as me but weighed nearly 40 lbs less than I do. I am about 5'7" or 5'8". (My whole adult life I thought I was 5'8" but my new doctor thinks I am 5'7") I weigh 206.6. My chest is 40". I don't how to measure my waist so I take two numbers. The smallest part of my body where I bend is 36". My belly button area is 40" and my hips are 42". I have a medium frame and most body fat calculators put me at 29-31%. I bough a fat caliper device but it nearly impossible to use.

One of the women had a 38" chest, I can't remember her waist but her hips were 43". She weighed 166 lbs and was 5'7"

btw (the TV show does not measure bf %)

the other woman was 5'8" had a 42" chest, 40" waist and 45" hip. She weighed 177lbs.

What factors would make these women weigh soooo much less than me? It is discouraging. I am just curious because I was have heard that the 'big bone' theory is a myth....

Replies

• theshaleco
    theshaleco Posts: 39 Member
    It depends on your habits... How much they eat and exercise.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    They possibly have smaller bone structures or less lean muscle mass, even if they are the same height.

For another example, I am 5'6", currently 201...bust 38", waist (smallest) 38", hips 45".

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Don't let the scale weight bother you. People look VASTLY different at similar weights....its just how it is. Find a weight that you are happy with for YOU and aim to get there.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    You have more muscle mass than they do. You are actually at a reasonable body fat percentage right now. I am about 29% BF in my profile picture. Don't worry about the scale. Get to a level of leanness you enjoy and throw the scale in the trash.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    real-women-dove.jpg

This is why. We're all different. Vive la difference. You are carrying more weight in a tighter package. That's pretty cool!

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Pink-Responds-Comments-About-Weight-Gain-37267858
  • asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    mrsbigmack wrote: »
    You have more muscle mass than they do. You are actually at a reasonable body fat percentage right now. I am about 29% BF in my profile picture. Don't worry about the scale. Get to a level of leanness you enjoy and throw the scale in the trash.[/quote

Oh wow, I would love to look like you! :)

• asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    mkakids wrote: »
    Don't let the scale weight bother you. People look VASTLY different at similar weights....its just how it is. Find a weight that you are happy with for YOU and aim to get there.

Thanks, I am trying. I actually hid the scale under my bed...I need to chuck it but its sooo hard. LOL
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    They probably have less body fat. And perhaps less lean body mass, as well. Every one is different.

You can't concern yourself with other people's measurements. Just focus on yourself. The only person that you can legitimately compare yourself to is yourself.