Hi! I'm new and impatient to lose my extra lbs...

Options
So I did what a lot of people do and waited until the last minute to work on losing weight for the summer season. I have a trip to Paris coming up by the end of June, so I want to be in shape (toned and able to do great cardio) before I get there. Ultimately I would like to lose 10-15lbs. This is my 3rd or 4th time journaling on a free website to keep track but this time is different. I am WAY motivated to get "me" back and keep her around this time. I used to be in track and would go to the gym 2x a day. Last 4 years have been a total slackers dream and I need to get back into my physical health and well being.

My goals:
1. Make working out, staying fit A PRIORITY and gift myself that 1hour at least 5x a week.
2. Tone my hips, thighs, arms and tummy.
3. Own how I got here and stay motivated to get "me" back :)

I hope to get to know you all better and look forward to being apart of this support system!

PS - I am using Wii Zumba, Wii Biggest Loser Challenge and Wii NewU as my workout routines. I can't afford the gym right now and I cannot make the classes (which keep me motivated) due to my work schedule. So any advice or stories about how these "games" have helped or hindered you would be great! So far I have only done Wii Zumba x2 (but I am really enjoying it) and have on order Bigest Loser C & New U. :)

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've found the more impatient I am, the more disappointed I am in the results. I have to just let my body lose weight at its own pace. Sorry that's not a fun answer, but it's how it is for me.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virgin..............Lloyd

oops, ............"virtue"
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    It's possible to lose that much weight in about month but you it also depends on your current weight, body shape and what type of diet and exercise plan you do and stick with it.

I would suggest working at it as hard as you can and if you don't reach your goal by then at least you should be close and just be proud of yourself for all the hard work and effort and continue this while you are on vacation and afterward, don't just make this a spring thing before your trip; make it a life change.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    First off, you are going to lose weight all over, there is no such thing as spot treatments. Don't completely starve yourself of "bad" foods. That will just make you binge. Remember that moderation and portion control are really important. I would suggest switching between cardio and strength training. Building muscle will help you burn more calories in the long run. If you do a search online, you should be able to find some strength training exercises to do at home.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I've found the more impatient I am, the more disappointed I am in the results. I have to just let my body lose weight at its own pace. Sorry that's not a fun answer, but it's how it is for me.

I agree.
    impatiences breeds frustration
  • cranmuffin
    cranmuffin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP since early February and found that the first 10 pounds came off real easy. The trick is being honest and keeping track of EVERYTHING. (It helps to use the mobile app). Once I got into the habit of focusing on my daily calories, I started planning my daily meals and now it's a part of my morning routine. I only work out 1 to 2 times a week (usually a 1 hour Zumba class) and use those days as chance to eat a little more or have dessert or a drink or something. I found that I eat more at home now because I'm so focused on watching what I'm consuming. I also believe that I'm a little more physically active than I give myself credit for. So, I don't stress about eating a little more on the weekends as long as I stay pretty strict during the week. Now that I've lost 23 pounds, seeing the weight gone makes me not miss all the junk food I used to consume. I'm also not so focused on my actually weight, I really just want to lose the cellulite on my legs and butt and flatten my stomach a little more. I'm pretty close to my goal and really it's only been 3 month.

Good luck.
  • Rrrucker21
    Rrrucker21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for responding everyone! :)

To clarify, I do not expect to lose all my "goal weight" by the time I hit the plane to Paris. My goal for Paris is to be able to walk around as much as I want and not lose breath or complain and be able to shop (a little) for clothes and not feel like Fatty-Mc-Fat-Fat. lol

I am a FUSSY eater so I do make sure that I eat what I want in moderation and I am so good about portion control. I tend half almost everything I get if I eat out (which is more times then not). Butter, foe gras & McD's french fries are my frien-emies!

I will be doing strength training. I got order some resistance bands that come with a DVD plus I will use it with my BLC wii "game".

Lastly, this is a change for a LIFETIME - not just Paris :)

Paris is just a goal I have for about another 45 days to work toward.
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    There's a lot of things you can do free-weight. Body-weight excercises are amazing! Running around the neighborhood can do a LOT for you! If you were to do some simple calisthenics and a few strength exercises prior to a 30-45 minute jog (depending on how long you can go, the longer the better!) you would see more than just image results. You'd see the results in your physical capability!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Wii Zumba, and it has helped me shake off a few pounds. I have recently purchase EA sports and it is kicking my butt -- this is my first time with the resistance bands. That one is taking some time to get used to, but it comes with a built-in HRM, and I like watching the calories burn off.

Great goals for Paris! Have FUN !