Vibrating machines ...

Replies

• mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    I could see how this question could be misinterpreted! :p
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    But you just stand there, right? And that burns calories how?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    4znk4.gif
  • Tamar197712
    Tamar197712 Posts: 19 Member
    It's a very intense vibrating plate that works muscles honestly I run 5-7 km a day not done today feel *kitten* so done 1/2 hr on wobble machine and feel like ive run much more ...... Just want to know if calories are true
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    It counts calories I had to put my height and weight etc into it to get calories for me my neighbour has one she put her details in she smaller than me she don't burn as much can have it set to different vibration speeds

It doesn't and actually can't count calories - the "estimates" the machine is giving you are frankly ludicrous.
    Please don't set yourself up for failure by believing them.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    I use them to loosen my calves after training them, that's about it...
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    The only way I think it is burning calories that you are being thrown off balance and thus engaging your core to have to keep yourself stable and from falling off. However, I can't see it burning more calories or being a better workout than a walk or a run or planking!! But, I could be wrong too!! I'm in to see where this goes though!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    They have one at my gym. It sits in the corner, mostly ignored. I am the only one who uses it. I could not see standing on it for any length of time. But I do stand on it for a minute or so. I think it gives you a massage.
    Gawd, did I just rain on the fun?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you talking about these?

Screen%2Bshot%2B2012-02-25%2Bat%2B9.24.44%2BAM.png
    Serious vintage flashback. What's up with those? My grandparents had one, we kids used to play on it. It was all a big joke, I thought?

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited April 2015
    So far the internet is telling me 100 cals/hr. BUT also that the thingy can be very good for bone density.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2015
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    But you just stand there, right? And that burns calories how?

The vibration causes the fat molecules to crash into each other creating internal heat and thus magically burns calories and causes the fat to melt off.

But wait, there's more, for a limited time only you can get two for the price of one...

TIC

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Passive exercise doesn't burn many calories.......http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/passive-exercise-whole-body-vibration
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    No, in a word. Power plates (the bigger brother) can be found in many gyms, they are an alternative form of exercise, but you dont just sit there and have to do some pretty serious exercise whilst using them. They have veen shown to be beneficial in certain circumstances.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    4znk4.gif

This. And this:
    sijomial wrote: »
    It counts calories I had to put my height and weight etc into it to get calories for me my neighbour has one she put her details in she smaller than me she don't burn as much can have it set to different vibration speeds

It doesn't and actually can't count calories - the "estimates" the machine is giving you are frankly ludicrous.

The only way to “work muscles” is to lift heavy stuff. Vibrating the crap out of them might be a nice massage, but that’s about it.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you talking about these?

Screen%2Bshot%2B2012-02-25%2Bat%2B9.24.44%2BAM.png
    Serious vintage flashback. What's up with those? My grandparents had one, we kids used to play on it. It was all a big joke, I thought?

There was one in the exercise room at my grandma's apartment building. My sister and I would sneak in to use it because we thought it was funny to try to talk while getting jiggled. My grandma would yell at us "don't break the exercise machine!"
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    4znk4.gif

This. And this:

The only way to “work muscles” is to lift heavy stuff. Vibrating the crap out of them might be a nice massage, but that’s about it.

Intense cardio also works muscles. Just in a different way.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    1551d1347987410-center-console-side-pockets-giggity.gif
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Would muscles that are being vibrated (given energy to) by an outside source actually expend any energy in order to burn calories?

It doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Tamar197712
    Tamar197712 Posts: 19 Member
    Well I guess time will tell I don't count the calories my legs are still tired from my 1/2 hr session so if it works .... Bonus to me
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    4znk4.gif

This. And this:

Intense cardio also works muscles. Just in a different way.

This is a good point! OP, knock yourself out, and do report your results.