Find walking boring

Options

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I listen to financial podcasts mostly but also some hobby podcasts.

Hopefully the park will dry soon and I can walk the trails.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Listen to music or a book on tape. I downloaded a Zombies, Run! which helps motivate me because I want to see where the story goes. Plus, it'll play music playlists for you inbetween segments, which is nice. I find just walking to be boring too, so finding something my brain can focus on makes it much better.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Try this. You won't be so bored if you are running to save your life.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Wow... and all I do during a walk is ponder life...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    i walk inside on my own treadmill, i use music and i use my android to watch video's and since we moved i the treadmill is at a place were i even can watch tv :)

I do this too. Treadmill + Netflix = Never get bored!
  • shanapadilla2
    shanapadilla2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also tend to get bored on walks; that's why I set myself up a destination somewhere to go on my walk. I may walk 35 minutes to the grocery store and then 35 minutes home just to buy a bag of cat food. Yes, I could have gotten the cat food on a normal grocery store trip but it was a reason to get out and walk.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    there is an app, audible, that has e-books. I don't read because I fall asleep, but I've covered much ground listening to my books while walking/biking and the likes.
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Drive to a park and walk.

Buy a dog. (You'll be a bit pre-occupied as you walk with your companion)

iPod

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do power walks on my lunch breaks. I have 30 minutes, so I walk out 15 minutes and 30 seconds (at a good, heart-pumping brisk pace), and then I have 14 minutes and 30 seconds to get back. and there's only one rule: NO. RUNNING.

...I race myself. that keeps it entertaining for me. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    I like listening to a podcast.

Great idea!

Check out Serial, This American Life, Fresh Air with Terry Gross, etc.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find walking a little boring too ... And now with summer approaching, its only going to get hotter, and then I definitely won't be enjoying it, outside anyways. I don't have a treadmill, I do however have an elliptical. I always listen to music when I'm exercising, that helps a lot. I spend about 40-60 mins working out several times a week, listening to music is what really gets me through it. If you want to get a treadmill, go for it. I don't see anything wrong with exercising indoors with the nice A/C :D I have heard the treadmill little boring though, so maybe think about what type of machine you would have most fun with before you buy.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find walking very boring, so I ride a bicycle. But never inside, because that is mind numbingly boring.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you find it boring, that may mean you don't like doing it. In that case, I recommend finding an exercise you like doing.

yes yes yes!! Find something you love to do. It could be anything! yoga, pilates, zumba, CrossFit, It took me many years to find what I really like which is CrossFit. I think one of the reasons I love it so much is I truly dont think about anything else when I am there so it is a great escape.
    As far as the treadmill goes, I find that even more boring than walking outside! Music does help, but if you are walking in the street, watch the traffic!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Also podcasts or the radio.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used to walk/run outdoors - 4 - 6 miles every morning, depending on mood, attitude, and weather. I'd be up at five and out the door before 5:30. That gave me enough time to get home, shower, and get to work before 8. The problem with that was pot holes, heaved up sidewalks, etc. had it in for me. When I planted my foot in an 'invisible' black hole (about 6"wx15"lx6"d) in the middle of a black road and ripped up just about everything in my right leg and foot, I gave up the great outdoors running the roads.

Then, for awhile, I was going to a neighborhood park with a running, walking track after work. But, by the end of the workday, I was not readily disposed to be running and I had to contend with about a dozen or so others. Finally, I did buy a treadmill (affectionately dubbed the hamster wheel). I have an attachment (aka my son) that programs movies onto my laptop for viewing while I jog. (No more full-out running after the foot-eater fiasco!)

Now, I also read while on the treadmill on occasion and on those days, I listen to music brought to me by my favorite radio station. (ALSO my son, who uploads to my phone whatever music catches my fancy.) So, one day I'm boogying to Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson, then Gin Wigmore, and Maroon 5, and Royal Crown Review, then Uncle Cracker and Flogging Molly. Change up my pace to match the tempo of the music to keep things interesting.

One thing I have discovered, though, is it takes some time to change a habit. I now get up at 4:15 EVERY morning. Saturdays and Sundays I convince myself to roll over but I sleep in 'late' by getting up at 6:30 or 7. And, when I swear I am NOT going to get up early, "I'm rolling over and not getting on the treadmill this morning"? Five minutes later, I'm up and dressing for my morning hamster run. But it didn't start out that way. Bad habits are easier to fall into but good habits can be established, too. Just be aware that it can take anywhere from 8 to twenty weeks to re-acclimate your body to a new way of 'thinking'.

A few things to consider if you cannot get/do not have a treadmill. Consider buying a dog! (Just not a greyhound - they'll drag you to your belly and yank your arm out of its socket. They are known as runners for a reason.)

Do you pass other runners/walkers when you go out? Greet them, talk to them, maybe bond enough to get together at the same time to run together. Help both of you and maybe make a great new friend. Join the "Y" or some non-membership gym in your area (Some as cheap as $10 a month). You can not only use the treadmill, there are weights, pool, etc. AND trainers. And, if it's on your way to work - take your change of clothes with you and shower at the gym. After not too very long it will have become a natural part of your every day life and people will marvel at your will-power. You smile and thank them but, inside, you know - Just doing what comes naturally!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, music really helps. I never tire of walk when I'm walking to the beat of a song. I also try to change up the route now and then. Sometimes it's just a matter of walking in the opposite direction.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    audio books, pod casts, etc.
  • antoinetteg1957
    antoinetteg1957 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday but take a different direction every time. I try to find new paths to travels down in each direction. The worst is when it's raining out and I have to do house walking. It gets boring walking from the front door to the back down a zillion times until I hit my 2.5 mile mark.