Talapia and Salmon Recipes

Options
DedRepublic
DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
i have fish back in my meal plan. In the ost I have just baked it in weighed out servings individually wrapped in tinfoil with just lemon juice on top. This gets old quick. How do you guys make your fish meals?

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My favorite salmon recipe:

2-3 TBSP olive oil
    2-3 TBSP soy sauce
    1 TBSP Mirin (rice wine)
    1-2 teaspoon minced garlic (I'm lazy and buy the pre minced crap)
    juice from half a lemon

Mix everything in a bowl or zip top bag and marinate salmon for 15-30 minutes (no more than 30 minutes!) then take salmon out of marinade and broil on high for 7-15 minutes (depending on your oven and salmon thickness)

Forgot to add, I do this for about a pound of salmon fillets. Adjust the recipe as needed for how much you're cooking.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    My favorite salmon recipe:

2-3 TBSP olive oil
    2-3 TBSP soy sauce
    1 TBSP Mirin (rice wine)
    1-2 teaspoon minced garlic (I'm lazy and buy the pre minced crap)
    juice from half a lemon

Mix everything in a bowl or zip top bag and marinate salmon for 15-30 minutes (no more than 30 minutes!) then take salmon out of marinade and broil on high for 7-15 minutes (depending on your oven and salmon thickness)

Forgot to add, I do this for about a pound of salmon fillets. Adjust the recipe as needed for how much you're cooking.

Why not for over 30 minutes? I was thinking of putting some Cod in a marinade similar to yours for a couple of hours while at the gym then pan fry it when i get home. Would the flavor be to agressive for that long?
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The salt in the soy sauce will actually start to cook the fish if it's left in there too long. Some cuts of fish can take a longer marinade (like swordfish) but salmon is too delicate. I would suspect cod could handle 1-2 hours but I wouldn't go much more.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I put paprika, cumin, chili powder, Cayenne, salt, pepper, and cumin on my tilapia. Fry it up in a pan with a little olive oil. Then on the side I stirfry some chard, kale, broccoli and garbonzo beans with similar spices and lime juice. Throw all of that on a couple warm corn tortillas with a dab of guacamole, lime juice, and cilantro and you got some amazing fish tacos.

For salmon I like it baked or pan fried with salt and pepper. plate that on top of brown rice and top it all with a lemon, pepper, olive oil, caper and parsley sauce.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle liberally with Cajun seasoning. Lay on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes at 425 F till it flakes easily with a fork and still looks moist. Start checking @ 12 minutes. Do not over cook!
  • heyree64
    heyree64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos on low-carb tortillas. So good!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like to put grilled fish over a bed of mediterranean veggies (stuff like tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, garlic, onions, mushrooms etc.) that get roasted with a bit of olive oil, a sliced meyer lemon or thin-skinned orange, some canned white beans, and seasoned with herbes de provence or thyme. I'll do this with salmon, tilapia, cod, even fresh tuna. It's pretty versatile and forgiving.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i have fish back in my meal plan. In the ost I have just baked it in weighed out servings individually wrapped in tinfoil with just lemon juice on top. This gets old quick. How do you guys make your fish meals?
    I put homemade pesto on mine.
    Pesto made in the nutribullet...one bunch of basil, clove of garlic, juice of a lemon 1/3C olive oil, 1/3C(42grams) pinenuts, salt. It makes about 3/4 cup. 1T has 75cals, 1g Protein, 8g Fat, 1g Carbs

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    For salmon I usually just do salt, some spices (whatever sounds good that day), and toss it on a hot grill. Turn over after a few minutes. That's it really...

Tilapia is a little more delicate so for that I get out non-stick pans, but otherwise it isn't much different than the salmon. Salt, spices and a little spray oil on a nonstick.
  • HisProdigalSon
    HisProdigalSon Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1:1 ratio of brown sugar and honey Dijon mustard. Mix up into a paste and put about 1-2 Tablespoons on each Salmon filet. Bake for about 30 minutes (sorry, don't recall the temp). Quick and easy. No marinade time required.

Do it on a greased (Pam) broiling pan if you have one.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I like to cover a piece salmon in sweet chili sauce 1 tbs is enough for one, and bake it for about half an hour. Super easy but very tasty.
  • spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wilt a whole bunch of spinach (or cook up some other veggies you like better) and mix with salsa. Put half of the mixture in a baking dish, add the fish, then the other half of the veggies. Sprinkle however much feta you can fit in your calories over the whole thing. Bake at 425 for half an hour or so.
  • HisProdigalSon
    HisProdigalSon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a jar of pepper jelly at home. I'm considering trying that as a topping too. Just like Tubbs216's idea.
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also do pesto (either sundried tomato or basil) and a little fresh grated parmesan. Yumm.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Salmon cooks if you look at it wrong. Don't overcook your fish people! ;)

When broiling or pan frying protein (including fish) you want it to be as dry as possible.
    This helps enable the Maillard reactions when exposed to (short) intense heat under the broiler or hot pan. Oiling the fish's surface helps distribute the heat more efficiently and cook the protein faster. Maillard reactions create amazingly complex flavor compounds (think crusty bread vs. limp white bread)

Having said all that, I usually lightly marinate it in EVOO, lemon, S&P. chopped coriander or parsley and garlic.
    I dry the fish thoroughly before cooking and flash fry in a hot! pan or under the broiler.
    I does not need more than 60-90 seconds per side.
    You can also use the marinade to make a nice sauce. I pour it into the hot pan, add white wine and reduce it until it thickens to the consistency of one's liking...

In total it takes 10 minutes tops.
    Guten Appetite!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I made this miso-marinated trout with ginger-lime glaze last night for dinner and it was delicious!

This Coriander-Crusted Tuna is also good. And this Sweet Orange Salmon is one of my favorites.

I have a lot of fish recipes. They're usually fairly easy and quick cooking, plus a reasonably lean source of protein. I would eat fish everyday if I could afford it. True story: when my husband and I were still dating, we spent a week in Cape Cod. I made it my mission to eat seafood for lunch and dinner the entire time we were there. Husband wasn't a seafood-eating person at the time, but decided to try some fish after watching me eat it for a week. He now eats (and enjoys) fish on a regular basis. Hooray!
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    All of these look great! Thanks!