Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    +1 all over @earlnabby 's post.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    We've come a long way baby! Not done yet!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    We've come a long way baby! Not done yet!

I was thinking of that phrase as I was typing. A cigarette company seems an odd choice to sponsor a women's tennis tour but they were the perfect one when women's tennis really started to take off back in the days of Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, and Martina Navratilova. That catch phrase was perfect for the situation and the times.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    So, I have sort of a general question for everyone. I'm honestly not trying to push or lead towards any specific conclusion. I just want to know what people think.

Segregating a marathon seems pretty ridiculous. How anyone could be harmed by running next to someone who's an innie rather than an outtie, I'll never know. But, what about sports where there could possibly (depending on who you ask) be an added safety issue because of size and strength disparity, the full contact categories like rugby or football.

Obviously women aren't wilting flowers. They participate in dangerous sports all the time. In high school, my girlfriend on the gymnastics team spent way more time injured than I or my football playing male friends did.

Is there an argument for segregating something like rugby since the addition of men, as opposed to an all girl team, is going to make it significantly more dangerous? What about with kids as opposed to adult women?

Some, if not most sports require segregation at a competitive and professional level.

It's simply because men are built to be more active and have a higher level of performance than women (if both were to train at the same level. Obviously a man who doesn't train will not be able to run as fast as a woman who can train). It's simple biology.

Men are (generally) bigger, heavier, and have more testosterone which aids in getting bigger and stronger. It's highly unlikely that women will ever hold the world record for fastest 100m sprint or marathon.

In other sports, like swimming, snowboarding, cycling, rowing, etc., the fastest men are always faster than the fastest women. If we combined them into co-ed sports, then the women would likely never win.

I'm not saying it's impossible for women to win, but the odds are highly against them.

HOWEVER, we could start to introduce "co-ed" team sports that are non-contact,like rowing and such. However, then there would be a rule stating the minimum number or required women. Then it would get all political and probably ruin the sport.

For sports where you'd think that women aren't necessarily worse than men, look at snowboarding: At the Sochi Olympics, almost half of the women crashed out on the freestyle snowboarding because the jumps were too big. Most of the men were able to clear it.

You also often hear in women's sports that some woman was the "first" to do something in competition, even if men have been doing it for numerous years.

As politically incorrect as it might be to say, but women are not as athletically capable as men are.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    These images contain hateful, violent imagery. People should not be attacked like that. :'(

8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes

c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

The OP was showing how far we've come and celebrating how women can now participate in marathons...you can't be blind to what happened in the past!

I've seen enough of both @Of_Monsters_and_Meat monsters_and @_John_ in the threads to know that they thrive on trolling and snark...so I'm unfazed. Unfortunately though, this thread is taking a turn that I didn't intend it to and will probably end up locked. MFP never fails to disappoint, lol!

I agree I have seen of_monsters trolling many other posts. and it works! LOL people are buying into it
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I wonder if women may be on even footing in motor control events like shooting?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_shooting

If a girl is excelling at the same level at the boys, say as a goalie in hockey, why can't she play with the boys?
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    As long as she's home in time to cook dinner, I see no reason why a woman shouldn't be allowed to run a Marathon.

LOL

Is this how the slow cooker was invented?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    And the BBQ was invented so men would cook. Ug. Fire. Stick. Cook.
  • earlnabby
    Options

As politically incorrect as it might be to say, but women are not as athletically capable as men are.

I would amend that to say that a woman of the same height and weight as a man is just as capable but men, in general, do have more size and bulk.

• chivalryder
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    And the BBQ was invented so men would cook. Ug. Fire. Stick. Cook.

Men are incapable of cooking without placing the food directly over an open flame. This is a fact.
  • chivalryder
    edited April 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I would amend that to say that a woman of the same height and weight as a man is just as capable but men, in general, do have more size and bulk.

If you would like to defend your side of the argument, please cite an Olympic event where the women were posting better results than the men, and the event was based off of fitness and/or strength/dexterity. Figure skating need not apply.

I am very open to see an example where women have matched or surpassed the ability of men in an athletic sense. It would be very eye opening and pleasant to see.

ETA: An example of where women's fitness is not matching that of men:

"The current men's world record is 9.58 seconds, set by Jamaica's Usain Bolt in 2009, while the women's world record of 10.49 seconds set by American Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988 remains unbroken." ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_metres

Another example:

World Record Marathon: Men: 2:02:57 held by Dennis Kimetto, September 28, 2014.

Women: 2:15:25 held by Paula Radcliffe, April 13, 2003
  • Malcreos
    Malcreos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If a girl is excelling at the same level at the boys, say as a goalie in hockey, why can't she play with the boys?
    She can!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_Rhéaume
    Granted it was just a game or two, but I don't think there is anything saying that women can't be in the NHL.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Malcreos wrote: »
    She can!
    Granted it was just a game or two, but I don't think there is anything saying that women can't be in the NHL.

Very good read!
  • earlnabby
    Options

If you would like to defend your side of the argument, please cite an Olympic event where the women were posting better results than the men, and the event was based off of fitness and/or strength/dexterity. Figure skating need not apply.

I am very open to see an example where women have matched or surpassed the ability of men in an athletic sense. It would be very eye opening and pleasant to see.

I am thinking more of co-ed athletics where women can hold their own against men of similar size. A 5'6" 130 lb woman has no business in the NFL, just like a man of that size has no business there, but if she can play baseball or hockey just as well as the men, why shouldn't she have the chance?

• rioricorick
    rioricorick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ...you can't be blind to what happened in the past!

Is this about remembering the past or about once again putting men down? Remember not to punish those of us alive today for what we were not even alive to do in the past.

There are many positive things that happened in the past as well - let's remember to celebrate those!

I am not blaming or accusing anybody - just saying not to be blind to how much better things are today, and that there will always be an extreme minority or ANY group, not just men, that does terrible things.

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Malcreos wrote: »
    She can!

Haha, something about that last sentence cracked me up. It reminds me of those scenes in the air bud movies where the ref looks at the rule book "there's no rule saying a golden retriever CAN'T play shortstop."
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Here's a list of women who have played semi-professional football:

Semi-Professional[edit]
    Patricia Palinkas: First woman to play professional football (1970)[19]
    Katie Hnida: First woman to play professional indoor football in a non-women's league (1999-2004)
    Julie Harshbarger: First woman to make a successful field goal in a professional indoor football game (2010-2014)[20]
    Lauren Silberman: First woman to try out at the NFL Regional Scouting Combine (2013)[21][22]
    Jennifer Welter: first woman to play a non-kicking position in a professional football league made up predominately by men. (2014)[23]

However, they were almost all kickers and none have played for he NFL.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options

"The current men's world record is 9.58 seconds, set by Jamaica's Usain Bolt in 2009, while the women's world record of 10.49 seconds set by American Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988 remains unbroken." ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_metres

Another example:

Yeah, I don't know that it is necessarily a reason to segregate the sport, but even when weight and height are accounted for, women just have a disadvantage against an equally athletic male. The best example I can think of is wrestling. It's a sport that is controlled down to within a couple of pounds for weight differences and yet a girl could never compete above an intermediate level.

I think I personally fall in the "if they want to try out, let them try out," camp, but it's just sort of denial to argue that they can directly compete at the top levels.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I am thinking more of co-ed athletics where women can hold their own against men of similar size. A 5'6" 130 lb woman has no business in the NFL, just like a man of that size has no business there, but if she can play baseball or hockey just as well as the men, why shouldn't she have the chance?

Actually, a 5'6" 130lbs player could be ridiculously quick as a runner.

The smallest hockey player is Nathan Gerbe at 5'5" and 178 lbs.

I feel that sports that are more technique and skill focused (golf, shooting, pool, dance/artistic, etc.) could be co-ed, but once you start to incorporate strength, dexterity, and general fitness, women have a genetic handicap. There's no way around that.

As for golf as a technique sport: An 8 year old girl is representing Canada in the Drive, Chip & Putt competition during the Masters Week in Augusta.
  • chivalryder
    edited April 2015
    Options

Another example:

Yeah, I don't know that it is necessarily a reason to segregate the sport, but even when weight and height are accounted for, women just have a disadvantage against an equally athletic male. The best example I can think of is wrestling. It's a sport that is controlled down to within a couple of pounds for weight differences and yet a girl could never compete above an intermediate level.

I think I personally fall in the "if they want to try out, let them try out," camp, but it's just sort of denial to argue that they can directly compete at the top levels.

MMA/UFC is now having co-ed fights.

http://www.empiresports.co/history-is-made-with-the-first-male-vs-female-ufc-fight/

ETA: I'm not trying to say "Men and Women should never compete against each other" I'm all for the "if she wants to try it, let her" however, I cannot recall a single instance where a woman has beaten a man in some form of athletic race. IF it has happened, I'd love to see it. I'm all for co-ed competition, but I'd hate to see segregation removed then never see a woman win anything.