Hi! New to Weight Loss Need Snack Advice.

Options
I'm pretty fit and have never kept track of what I eat. Recently I decided to actively try and loose weight, about 15 lbs.
I entered in all my info and found out in order to loose the weight I'd like in the time frame I'd like, I should only eat 1200 calories a day. The number seemed reasonable until I tried it. I had no idea how much I eat daily! I've gone above 1200 every day since I started.

Any tips on how to keep your calories counts down? I love to snack on nuts and oranges, but those are what's pushing me over 1200, has anyone found good replacement snacks for those?

Also, any tips for remembering to drink water throughout the day?

Thanks!

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key to eating more! You burn calories which allow you to eat more than the 1200 cals allowed. As for water, I bought a travel mug that holds 64 oz and has a refreezable ice pack to screw into it. I drink at least 1 a day and just keep it with me where ever I go.
    Good Luck on your new journey and goals!! :drinker:
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There are some really good veggie straws I picked up at Walmart! You can have 38 "straws" for 130 calories made by Sensible Portions! Plus they make different flavors! Or the Special K cracker chips, caramel corn rice cakes, reduced fat cheez-its, reduced fat wheat thins with laughing cow cheese wedge... hope this helps!
  • tippett610
    tippett610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually snack on yogurt, trail mix bars or fresh fruit. I keep my water with me all the time, that helps! Good Luck! oh and I forgot the mini quaker caramel rice cakes and reduced fat white cheddar cheez-its (my fav)!!!!:happy:
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know this doesn't work for everyone, but this is what I eat...

Hot air popped popcorn with no added salt or butter. Big source of fiber and protein with low calories
    Raw veggies like broccoli and carrots, no dips
    Apples, especially Fuji. For a treat, dip them into 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter
    Fiber bars - watch for the ones with HFCS though
    Red grapes - great source of antioxidants

To be honest, that's really all I eat.

I know people say Almonds, etc but I'm allergic to them.

Water? Assuming you work, take a large 32ish oz cup with you to work. Fill and drink it in the morning, same with the afternoon. That way you'll get the 8 glasses before dinner!
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    Hey I am at work all day I get a 16oz cup fill it up and I know I am drinking two 8 oz cups of water and I do it about 5 times a day then at night with my meal. The diet I am on you dont eat fruit after 2pm so that will help on sugar intake. I eat carrots and veggies that help to keep my calories down. Feel free to look at my dairy and view what I eat.
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One last thing, even those FF Yogurts aren't that great for you. They are still high in calories with little to no fiber benefit.

If you have to eat yogurt, stick to the FF Chobani's or some other Greek style yogurt.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    try cutting down the quantity of nuts and add a fruit...so, 100 calorie packs (make your own!) of nuts and an apple for snack..that should be around 160 calories or so.

the water is more a habit than anything else..I'm not one of those people who feels thirsty all the time so I have to be very intentional about my water intake. the more you drink it, though..the more it becomes a habit.
  • dianep225
    dianep225 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try apples. I eat at least two daily. A medium apple is 80 calories and keeps me full. I don't know if it covers the protein you're looking for in nuts. However, I get most of my protein when I have a sandwich at lunch time with a lunch meat, usually sliced chicken or turkey. Before I started this plan, it took me 10 months to lose 14 pounds. I began this plan in mid Feb and have lost an additional 19 since then..... slowly but surely this has been the best plan I've ever used!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I snack on a variety of things (including fruit & nuts), my challenge has been portion control, so when I buy almonds, I only pack 1 serving in my lunch. That has helped me....
  • lrdavis00
    lrdavis00 Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you active and have you been tracking your excersise? That is important so that you eat enough to support your activity level. Then keep tracking yur food and you will see which are empty calories (too much fat, no nutrition). I was gradually able to adjust my calories accordingly. Also keep track of portion sizes esp. for things like nuts, cheese, and fruit. They are healthy but pack a lot of calories. Cantalope is filling with not to many calorie :).
    Good luck.
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, I've been to the dietician and nutritionist and they gave me this list of 100 calorie "planned protein events" (give me a break right? they like to discourage 'snacking')

Food item (s) Calories, Protein (grams), Fiber (grams)
    3 oz lean deli meat(chicken, turkey, ham, roast beef) 100 16 0
    2/3 cup low fat cottage cheese 100 18 0
    6 oz fat free yogurt 100 5-10 0-1
    1 cup skim milk 100 8 0
    6 oz. soy milk 95 8 2.5
    ¾ cup canned crab meat 100 20 0
    1 Low fat turkey hot dog 100 8 0
    2/3 cup canned tuna 100 24 0
    ¼ cup prepared tuna salad 100 7 0
    ½ protein bar (check label) 100 5-10 0-4
    String cheese 85 7 0
    ½ cup edamame 95 8 4
    19 Peanuts 100 4.5 1.5
    ¼ cup dry soy nuts 100 8 4
    13 cashews 100 3 .5
    13 almonds 100 4 2
    25 pistachios 100 4 2
    1 apple w/ 1 Tbs. hummus 95 1 3.5
    1 hardboiled egg w/ ¼ cup blueberries 98 6 1
    3 Tbs. hummus w/ 12 grape tomatoes 100 3 4
    3 oz lox w/ ½ cup cucumber slices 100 15 1
    2 oz deli turkey rolled with 2 avocado slices 100 11 1
    1/3 cup low fat cottage cheese w/ 1 cup strawberries 100 9 3

Mix and Match Items (choose items to equal 100 calories)

Food Item Calories Protein (grams) Fiber (grams)
    1 wedge Laughing cow light spreadable cheese 35 2 0
    1 round, laughing cow mini babybel cheese 70 5 0
    1/3 cup cottage cheese 50 8 0
    2 Tbs Hummus 50 2 1
    ½ small whole wheat pita 50 1 3
    ¾ cup raspberries 50 1 6
    15 baby carrots 50 1 4
    1 cup cucumber slices 20 0 1
    15 grapes 50 .5 1
    3 medium celery stalks 20 1 2
    1 cup strawberries 50 1 3
    1 medium apple 70 .5 3