IS BREAKFAST DESIRABLE OR NOT ????????????

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Why are we yelling about breakfast?

It's kind of worth yelling about, because everywhere you go, "conventional wisdom" regarding breakfast is being pushed down your throat, telling you that if you don't eat breakfast, you'll get fat, or won't lose weight. You'll either stockpile the rest of the day's intake as fat because of your poor metabolism, or you'll have a freak-out at lunchtime and eat 10,000 calories. Most doctors and at least half of the world's gym staff will push this idea on you.

Non-breakfast people who are succeeding at losing weight know better. It's all bullcrap. Eat whenever you want, as long as you can stay within your day's calorie limit.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast at 5:30 am because my work requires a lot of energy and if I don't eat life is not gonna be happy around 10 am. On my days off I tend to prefer eat around 11:00 or later, unless I have to be up and out of the house earlier.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of breakfast.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/how-important-is-breakfast-730965

If you have never been in the habit of eating breakfast and you aren't fainting halfway through your morning, you're fine.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    My previous trainer touted the old maxim, “Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper”. It got me started eating breakfast, although it's still not my biggest meal of the day. My natural inclination is to eat more at the evening meal, although this concerns me because it's closest to bed time/inactivity.
    My husband worked 2nd shift for years and we had "dinner" at 1:30-2pm and would have something light around 6 or 7. Both of us were at healthy weights till he switched shifts and the pounds piled up . I have been working on getting back to having my biggest meal for lunch.
    I have to eat breakfast within a couple of hours of waking though as I will not make it the rest of the day if I dont .
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It may sound weird, but I eat breakfast every day but Sunday. I'm just never hungry on Sundays usually until about 1pm or 2pm.

Every other day I have to eat or I'm gnawing my arm off by 10am.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    As a child we rarely had enough food in the house therefore I would go without breakfast more times than not. Most days I wouldn't eat my first meal until after 3pm. My body got into this habit so now that I am an adult and can afford to buy my own food, I typically don't get hungry until early/ late afternoon.

A few years ago I gave in to "peer pressure" and started forcing myself to eat breakfast because everyone said "It's the most important meal of the day." "It kick starts your metabolism." For me, it was a bunch of crock! I forced myself to eat something bright and early before I went to work and all it did was make me nauseous for most of the day. Then when the nauseous feeling went away mid to late afternoon, I binged all night long. I gained 50 lbs. this way.

One day I woke up and realized that what everyone was telling me about breakfast being necessary wasn't the case fore me. I went back to skipping the morning meal and eating my first meal of the day, a light one, early/ mid afternoon and the having a good 800- 1000 calorie dinner. Since then I have dropped 40 lbs.

Do I eat in the morning if I am hungry, OH YES! As a matter of fact this morning I ate breakfast, not because I was told to, but because I was hungry. I let my body tell me when I need to eat rather than other people. As you can see this works for me, but not for everyone.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic breakfast is an important part of maintaining fairly level blood glucose levels. Just because it's breakfast doesn't mean you have to eat traditional breakfast food. I remember having hot dogs for breakfast when I was in high school.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I am hungry in the morning and because I have to time it due to my medicine. Sometimes it is a bar on the go though. Sometimes an egg. I never have time but I now I have to make sure it happens.
  • McKittyJane
    McKittyJane Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In the mornings im usually pressed for time and too tired to think, so my breakfast is usually junky food (i have eaten a lot of oatmeal cream pies, man). Not the best or healthiest. If you do eat breakfast dont be like me, make it something worth eating!
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you i eat a light breakfast between 200 to 240 calories.
    Something to keep me full tull snack time at work.
  • Eldee32
    Eldee32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. So it's not harmful if I take light things like a fruit or light snacks in breakfast and save my calories for rest of the day.
  • Eldee32
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Why are we yelling about breakfast?
    I love breakfast and breakfast foods. Eat it or don't, whatever suits your life best. As long as you're within your calorie deficit it doesn't matter as far as weight loss goes.

I heard that if you skip breakfast you will get fat so was confused. And I was not yelling I asking......if the capital letters and the question marks has bothered you then I am sorry :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you like breakfast, eat it. If you don't like or can't eat breakfast, don't eat it. :)
  • katherineclarkson
    katherineclarkson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat breakfast when I get to work, I can't eat as soon as I wake up because the thought of food makes me feel sick. I have weird shifts so breakfast time is either 9:15am or 9:45am. My breakfast is usualy only something small as well because I'd rather have a bigger lunch to keep me going till dinner.
  • Eldee32
    Options
    thanks all for your valuable comments.............its help me a lot :smile:
  • itscattopaz
    itscattopaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that I feel a lot better during the day when I eat a protein heavy breakfast, like two eggs or a protein bar. I keep mine small but I just have more energy to do things, and doing more = burning more so haha
  • NJbabe
    NJbabe Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I absolutely cannot stand eating "breakfast" (read: anything within 2 hours of waking up.)

That being said, I've read that people who skip breakfast tend to eat more food than usual at their next meal... or nibble on higher-calorie snacks in order to not feel as hungry.

Another thing about me: I am very rarely "feeling hungry." I can eat an apple and feel "full." I rather eat because there is ridiculously delicious food around me or because I am stressed/bored. So not eating breakfast has never bothered me per se.

Some studies suggest that people tend to add more body fat when they eat fewer, larger meals than when they eat the same number of calories in smaller, more frequent meals. Other studies show that weight management can be equally effective without breakfast. To be honest, you'd find studies that argue both sides successfully.

Nowadays I drink a low calorie fruit smoothie I prepare myself with the Vitamix within an hour of waking up. I make sure I have a big variety of fruits to work with at any given time. For example, right now I have the following at my disposal: peaches, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, bananas, kiwis, apples, pears, mixed berries, mango and pineapple. (Some of them are frozen.) This way, I can pick something different every morning.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eldee32 wrote: »
    little confuse if breakfast is necessary or its ok to skip it. Because normally i am not able to take my breakfast before 11:30 / 12. But somewhere i read its not good to skip breakfast. It will be helpful if you post your views ........thanks...

Not necessary.....
    I don't eat breakfast, been skipping for almost 2 yrs now.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    NJbabe wrote: »
    I absolutely cannot stand eating "breakfast" (read: anything within 2 hours of waking up.)

That being said, I've read that people who skip breakfast tend to eat more food than usual at their next meal... or nibble on higher-calorie snacks in order to not feel as hungry.

Another thing about me: I am very rarely "feeling hungry." I can eat an apple and feel "full." I rather eat because there is ridiculously delicious food around me or because I am stressed/bored. So not eating breakfast has never bothered me per se.

Some studies suggest that people tend to add more body fat when they eat fewer, larger meals than when they eat the same number of calories in smaller, more frequent meals. Other studies show that weight management can be equally effective without breakfast. To be honest, you'd find studies that argue both sides successfully.

Nowadays I drink a low calorie fruit smoothie I prepare myself with the Vitamix within an hour of waking up. I make sure I have a big variety of fruits to work with at any given time. For example, right now I have the following at my disposal: peaches, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, bananas, kiwis, apples, pears, mixed berries, mango and pineapple. (Some of them are frozen.) This way, I can pick something different every morning.

The first point...that's true for me and why I need to eat breakfast, but it isn't true for everyone.

As for size and frequency of meals...it doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss. I've lost 61 pounds eating 3 meals a day.