I need help! Please!

Options
I've been eating 1200 calories a day for 11 days and I've only lost 8 pounds. I lost 14 pounds in a week by pretty much starving myself before so now that I'm eating healthy why is the weight not falling off? what can I do to speed up the weight loss? I need to lose 90 pounds and I have a long way to go. thanks

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Head.
    Wall.
    Bang.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You lost eight pounds in under two weeks and you want to speed it up? Why rush? You didn't put it on quickly, so it won't come off quickly. Eat at an appropriate deficit (no more than 2 pounds a week) and be patient, as this will take a long time.
  • amygould
    amygould Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is considered 2lbs a week, by that rule, you are doing really well. Keep tracking calories and working out. The weight will come off. You didn't gain it over night and you aren't going to lose it overnight either. What are you doing for a workout?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can lose it fast or you can lose it healthy, but you really only get to pick one.

Two pounds per week is considered a safe level of weight loss. With 90 pounds to lose, you might be able to sustain a little more in the beginning, but 14 pounds/week is wildly unhealthy unless you are under the close supervision of your doctor.

8 pounds in 11 days is a victory. I know it may not feel like it, but try to get any Biggest Loser-type expectations out of your head. This is going to take some time.
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    amygould wrote: »
    Healthy weight loss is considered 2lbs a week, by that rule, you are doing really well. Keep tracking calories and working out. The weight will come off. You didn't gain it over night and you aren't going to lose it overnight either. What are you doing for a workout?
    i do at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 4 days a week with 3 days of additional strength training

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I guess you could chop off a limb or something since the rapid rate you're already losing at isn't enough.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Stop it with the unhealthy and unreasonable expectations. Lose at a healthy rate and maybe you won't go off plan and have to have another first week on a diet again. You've proven to yourself that 14 lbs. a week is unsustainable. Eight pounds is too, frankly, so prepare yourself for a slow down. At 90 lbs. to lose two pounds a week is far more healthy and doable.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It's simple math, really. A pound = 3500 calories. To lose 1 pound per week, you eat 3500 calories less than you burn that week...or 500 calories less than you burn each day. To lose 2 pounds, it's 1000 calories less than you burn each day. You really don't want to lose much faster than that, and as you lose, the loss will likely slow down.

Keep in mind that you never want to eat fewer than 1200 calories/day, and also a lot of what you lose at the beginning will be water weight. Also, depriving yourself of that many calories can be a trigger to binge. For this reason, many people find it more helpful to eat at a moderate deficit. It might seem slower, but it's easier to maintain over a long period of time, and so ends up faster than eating at 1200 for a week and then "splurging" your deficit away.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You certainly do need help. Learn about safe healthy weight loss. Your lack of knowldge is going to get you into serious trouble. I hope nobody else follows your example, which includes you. Google safe weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Safe rates of weight loss

If you’re trying to lose weight, the safe weekly rate of weight loss is between 0.5kg and 1kg. That’s between around 1lb and 2lb a week.

Lose weight faster than this, and you are at risk of health problems that include malnutrition and gallstones, as well as feeling tired and unwell.

Fad diets (that involve simply changing your diet for a few weeks) associated with very rapid weight loss are also unlikely to lead you to a healthy weight in the long term.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 calories a day for 11 days and I've only lost 8 pounds. I lost 14 pounds in a week by pretty much starving myself before so now that I'm eating healthy why is the weight not falling off? what can I do to speed up the weight loss? I need to lose 90 pounds and I have a long way to go. thanks

How did you feel about starving yourself to lose 14 pounds in a week? Is your health important to you?

Set a reasonable and realistic goal of no more than 2 lbs a week and be patient. Don't starve yourself.
    If you lose 1 lb a week then in a year you would be down 52 pounds.
  • lucystone1987
    lucystone1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    slow, steady, exercise
  • anitrarg
    anitrarg Posts: 1
    Options
    A dietitian once told me, that the chemical rate at which the hormone that breaks down the fat to be absorbed can not break down any faster than 1.5 kilos a week. As such any loss above this is fluid or muscle. Hope this makes you feel better
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    1. Big congrats for losing 8 pounds!
    2. Chiming in with everyone else: this isn't an overnight process. Eating healthy with a slower weight loss should also mean more energy and just feeling better overall, which (from my experience) doesn't happen with starvation diets.
    3. Good luck with your journey. :smile:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    anitrarg wrote: »
    A dietitian once told me, that the chemical rate at which the hormone that breaks down the fat to be absorbed can not break down any faster than 1.5 kilos a week. As such any loss above this is fluid or muscle. Hope this makes you feel better

Say what now?
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    7leb3am0kj36.gif

You have some unhealthy, unreasonable goals if you are looking to lose more than 4 lbs. a week. Slow it down.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yeah, you need help, alright......
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    yikes if 8lbs isnt good enough in less than 2 weeks your going to be mighty dissapointed. be realistic. your mindset is why u are trying this again. this isnt a race. it is to be healthy for life. i hope u take the advice here
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The first thing I'd do in this journey is seen the advice of a nutritionist or physician, or physiatrist.

You didn't put 8 pounds on in one week. Don't expect it to come off that quickly.
  • amygould
    amygould Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing the right things. If anything, you might be creating too large of a calorie deficit. What are your net calories per day after exercise and food are entered?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    amygould wrote: »
    It sounds like you are doing the right things. If anything, you might be creating too large of a calorie deficit. What are your net calories per day after exercise and food are entered?
    OP, your crash diets are NOT the 'right things'. Plug all your numbers into MFP and eat the calories you are allotted, and be prepared to be patient.