Exercise Calories - Formula?

Options
After seeing zero loss the first week I was on here, I learned that calories burned readings that the machines at the gym can be up to 40% inaccurate. I also read that people who are heavier burn more calories than someone lighter for their height and age. So I have been entering my weight in 30 lbs under my actual weight and taking 100 calories per hour off of the final calories burned count.

Does this sound like a safe way to go? The last thing I want to do is overestimate my calories burned and overeat. I'd love to hear what people think and what has worked for people who are consistently losing weight. Slow is fine with me as long as it is consistent!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    safe, with regards to accurate? No, I think this is probably just another guess.

If it worries you that you're getting your numbers wrong, an HRM with a chest strap and calorie counter is probably the way to go. Very few people I know regret the decision to purchase one.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    safe, with regards to accurate? No, I think this is probably just another guess.

If it worries you that you're getting your numbers wrong, an HRM with a chest strap and calorie counter is probably the way to go. Very few people I know regret the decision to purchase one.

Yup- what he said!!!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd recommend an HRM (with chest strap). Anything else is just a guess based on your weight, general activity, and time. Arbitrarily underestimating your weight or taking calories off is just going to result in another arbitrary estimate (one that is probably even more inaccurate).
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    HRM all the way.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    I say buy a HRM b/c overestimating or underestimating will not do you any good!! A heart rate monitor with a chest strap is really the only way to feel confident about it.
  • adlerjs
    adlerjs Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm wearing my Heart Rate Monitor now. It was a great investment.
    I actually burn way more calories on the eliptical than the machine tells me.

I'm currently wearing it for 24 hours to get an accurate measurement of how many calories I burn per day.
    I'm fearing that I burn far less when just hanging around than I initially thought I burned.
    It's been on for 3 hours and 48 minutes and I've burned 416 calories so far.
    I had it on all night while sleeping, and it said I burned NOTHING. Which confuses me. I thought you naturally burn a few calories while sleeping. That worries me.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    a HRM is worth the investment and they last for years with an occasional battery replacement. And you won't have to guess anynore! you won't be able to exercise without it once you have one!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    can be up to 40% inaccurate.

True, but the point is it's all averages. As in, "an average person of this size (if the machine uses height/weight, etc) will burn ABOUT this many calories at this speed/resistence/whatever". But your fitness may be above OR below average so you may burn less or MORE than average. Average means some people are under and some are over that measure. So you might be overestimating... but you might also be underestimating....or you might be dead on.

As Boss said, if you need more assurance on your estimates, don't just substitute ANOTHER (even less accurate) estimate picked out of thin air - find a method of estimating that is more accurate, such as a good HRM or Bodybugg or Bodymedia. But recognize that ALL of the numbers we use (intake and burns) are estimates and there is no precise method. Some are just a little more accurate than others.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I had it on all night while sleeping, and it said I burned NOTHING. Which confuses me. I thought you naturally burn a few calories while sleeping. That worries me.

It isn't meant to be worn 24h so it won’t be 100% accurate but it's definitely a fun experiment and I would totally do the same that if my HRM had a chest strap.

BUT, to answer your sleeping concern, your HR is probably lower than your regular resting HR hence it can't get an accurate read. Do you know if it can read accurately as well while horizontal? Check the instructions.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing my Heart Rate Monitor now. It was a great investment.
    I actually burn way more calories on the eliptical than the machine tells me.

I'm currently wearing it for 24 hours to get an accurate measurement of how many calories I burn per day.
    I'm fearing that I burn far less when just hanging around than I initially thought I burned.
    It's been on for 3 hours and 48 minutes and I've burned 416 calories so far.

FYI, HRMs are not intended to determine cals burned when not in an aerobic state, and will be wildly inaccurate if you try to use them that way. So wearing it while sleeping is essentially useless.

Might help to read this blog that explains what they can be used for, and what they can't.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • earthtorachel
    Options
    But recognize that ALL of the numbers we use (intake and burns) are estimates and there is no precise method. Some are just a little more accurate than others.

That's the agony in all this. I would love to get a HRM but I can't wear one due to my skin issues. I am allergic to anything with latex, adhesive, idodine, the list keeps growing as i get older, i can't even sit in the sun anymore. I had a bodybugg but I had an allergic reaction to the band, ended up with a nasty rash with little blisters in it and there was no other replacement fabric I could use that would hold it in place. My doctor said I would most likely have the same issue with a HRM chest strap and that the HRM watches can be as inaccurate as gym machines.

Also I do Turbofire, P90X and other high intensity interval training exercises at the gym and I have read that HRMs can be pretty inaccurate for HIIT.

I do have a Fitbit which I love but find it useless in tracking exercise calories.

Guess I will just keep underestimating my calories burned the best I can. Thanks everyone!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    But recognize that ALL of the numbers we use (intake and burns) are estimates and there is no precise method. Some are just a little more accurate than others.

That's the agony in all this. I would love to get a HRM but I can't wear one due to my skin issues. I am allergic to anything with latex, adhesive, idodine, the list keeps growing as i get older, i can't even sit in the sun anymore. I had a bodybugg but I had an allergic reaction to the band, ended up with a nasty rash with little blisters in it and there was no other replacement fabric I could use that would hold it in place. My doctor said I would most likely have the same issue with a HRM chest strap and that the HRM watches can be as inaccurate as gym machines.

Also I do Turbofire, P90X and other high intensity interval training exercises at the gym and I have read that HRMs can be pretty inaccurate for HIIT.

I do have a Fitbit which I love but find it useless in tracking exercise calories.

Guess I will just keep underestimating my calories burned the best I can. Thanks everyone!

this being the case, you'll have to do a bit of extra work then. It's not as accurate as an HRM with a strap, but you can use the PRE scale to estimate your calorie burn. That would be the Perceived Rate of Exertion. Let me look up a good site, I'll post one when I have it (I use the one from the ACE trainer book, but it's not online so...)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    found this great site.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

so what you'd do is put in your numbers, then using the Borg PRE scale to get your average heart rate for the exercise (that goes in the average BPM box) and it'll give you your calorie burn.

still an estimate, but one based on proven formulas.
    you can get the Borg scale here:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/borgscale.htm
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    oh, and just an FYI, I tested it against my last 2 days of exercise using my polar HRM, it's within 3% of the polar both days, I haven't looked further back, but that tells me at least it's calculating correctly.
  • earthtorachel
    Options
    Wow! Thanks Boss! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that for me! Most helpful advice I have had on any site. not surprised, I mean, you are a Sox fan. ;) THANK YOU!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    very welcome my dear. Good luck. Yep, sox, B's, Pats,Celts and oddly enough, an Atlanta Braves fan.
  • adlerjs
    adlerjs Posts: 4
    Options
    As a die-heard Atlanta Braves fan (raised in Georgia)
    I appreciate you!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    As a die-heard Atlanta Braves fan (raised in Georgia)
    I appreciate you!

Ohhhhh, you're the other one! I was wondering. :tongue:
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    found this great site.

so what you'd do is put in your numbers, then using the Borg PRE scale to get your average heart rate for the exercise (that goes in the average BPM box) and it'll give you your calorie burn.

Follow-up question: how do you convert the Borg scale into BPM? Is it simply 10x on the 15-point (6-20) scale? (so a 13 for steady pace is 130 bpm, 20 for exhaustion is 200, etc)

Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    found this great site.

Follow-up question: how do you convert the Borg scale into BPM? Is it simply 10x on the 15-point (6-20) scale? (so a 13 for steady pace is 130 bpm, 20 for exhaustion is 200, etc)

Thanks!

there's a Heart Rate link in that site, it explains how to convert the Borg scale into approximate BPM. that one baffled me for a few minutes too, until I clicked that link.
    it's under "Calculation of a zone value"