Overweight + Depression = Disaster!!!!

Options
Like so many others on this site, I have lost weight numerous times, but end up gaining it all back (and then some)...I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, and unfortunately, this can affect any goal(s) I set for myself...I need to gain control of my weight problem, while dealing with the depression...

Any advise would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have severe depression and moderate to severe anxiety. I'm medicated for both. I've lost 76 pounds. It's totally doable.

The best advice I can give:

1. Get a food scale, weigh your food.
    2. Log it all - good and/or bad.
    3. Make small changes, one at a time. Changes you can stick to. If quitting soda seems impossible, drink one less a day for a while (just an example).
    4. Take pictures and measurements.
    5. Be firm but gentle with yourself.

Good luck!
  • tonyreeves10
    tonyreeves10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with much the same thing. I used to be very lean but the years have not been kind to me and I also have PTSD which a lot of the time just destroys any motivation I had. May I friend request you? Maybe we can help each other.
  • Bellasmom71
    Bellasmom71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're brilliant...thanks for the advice and encouragement...Just sent you a friend request...
  • amygould
    amygould Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions! Exercise is a great medicine for depression. It works well with antidepressant medications. Eating fruit, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains and eliminating processed doors will also improve how you feel.

Don't allow your diagnosis to run your life. A diagnosis is not who you are. One thing that might help is focusing on personal development. Read 15 minutes a day from books like "The Magic of Thinking Big" or "The Power of Positive Thinking."
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wrote a thread two days ago about this very same topic under a different section. I have suffered ptsd then depression. I understand the challenges that ppl with this face regarding their weight. Sometimes just getting out of a ball in my bed was a challenge much less caring what I ate. Depression is a challenge but not impossible. I am not on meds now. Depression is a chain of thoughts and patterns that lead you down the path to the pit. If I can catch myself while I'm spiralling down I can get off the path to the pit and change my path. I'm not perfect at it and allow others to bring me down at times. Still working on removing mean nasty ppl from my life with kind caring positive ones is a work in progress. Anyway I too understand the challenges and if anyone would like to add me to keep each other on the right path as opposed to the depression pit path add me