Gaining weight: Appetite

Options
Is anyone trying to gain weight but has problems with their appetite?

Replies

• Bockerz
    Bockerz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! Any tips would be wonderful.

I eat slowly so i suppose I feel fuller faster. Though i also don't particularly want to eat, it's more that I feel I have to.

What would you say makes your appetite low?
  • f_tothe3rd
    f_tothe3rd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally think low calorie foods are the culprit. Veggies fill up your belly and don't offer much more than some vitamins. Eat high cal veggies like sweet potatoes and squash over broccoli or leafy greens
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yeah, getting in some "emptier" calories with less fiber that digest more quickly will help. White rice vs. brown rice, for example. Eat a white potato, skip the skin, add butter. That kind of thing.

Whatever you would have avoided before because you'd just be hungry a half hour later -- eat that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, it seems from people's posts that once they do start eating more, they are able to continue to increase their calories because they get better at including higher calorie foods, but they often also find themselves hungrier once they start eating more. It's a hormonal response to lower calorie intake, your body represses the hunger but when you increase your calories, the hormones change and your appetite increases (an adaptation from prehistoric times when there were often long periods where you didn't eat, then you killed a huge animal and ate a ton).
  • lizbethnunez18
    lizbethnunez18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yup that happens To me . I eat a lot at one time ,but later I'm hungry but don't eat as much as the first meal.. Its complicated.
  • thatguy56
    thatguy56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel you guys.
    My apetite ranges from bizaare to nonexistent. On average I'm hungry and eat but feel disgusted with the food I'm eating (regardless of what it is/health content). At worst my stomach tells me it's hungry but I have no desire to eat. At best I'm hungry, I'm eating, and two hours later at most I'm ready for another meal.

Not sure how to get over the disgust because it's random but I've gained weight regardless of appetite by drinking nutrition shakes with high calorie content. Doesn't have to be whey protein and such but things like Ensure and/or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Helps a bit for an added calorie boost.

Does anyone else not like the feeling of being full? (Reading what I wrote makes me realize I have some food issues)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    thatguy56 wrote: »
    I feel you guys.
    My apetite ranges from bizaare to nonexistent. On average I'm hungry and eat but feel disgusted with the food I'm eating (regardless of what it is/health content). At worst my stomach tells me it's hungry but I have no desire to eat. At best I'm hungry, I'm eating, and two hours later at most I'm ready for another meal.

Not sure how to get over the disgust because it's random but I've gained weight regardless of appetite by drinking nutrition shakes with high calorie content. Doesn't have to be whey protein and such but things like Ensure and/or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Helps a bit for an added calorie boost.

Does anyone else not like the feeling of being full? (Reading what I wrote makes me realize I have some food issues)

Have you seen a doctor about this? There may be an underlying medical issue or it might just be psychological but sounds like something you might want to have checked out to clear you of any hidden medical conditions.
  • Bockerz
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I feel you guys.

I don't feel disgusted by my food but it feels like a real chore to eat anything. I rarely get the signals telling me I'm hungry unless it's been a long day of not eating much. Which worries me somewhat.

I also hate the feeling of being full but I've been on a search for high calorie food that doesn't make me feel too full. Hoping that will help train my stomach to talk to me a little more :D
  • thatguy56
    thatguy56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the suggestion. I've been to the doc but physically I'm fine. Probably a head thing.

I'd be interested in more kinds of high calorie foods that wouldn't make someone feel as full. Are peanut butter, shakes, and nuts the major staples or are there others?
  • MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My appetite varies wildly, if I am under a lot of stress I have no appetite. Typically I get hungry quite frequently, but I eat a lot of small meals, or regular meals and snacks. On average I eat every 3 hours or so.
  • Bockerz
    Options
    I'd be interested in more kinds of high calorie foods that wouldn't make someone feel as full. Are peanut butter, shakes, and nuts the major staples or are there others?

Yep, you got it. In all the advice I've been given everyone is saying nuts/peanut butter, eggs, ice cream, milkshakes and smoothies, or just just milk. Whey protein or putting oats into things also.

If you personally find any more I would love to know about them, but the main advice I got was to drink your calories if you can't eat them.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A month ago I massively reduced my protein intake, whilst upping my carbs. I'm able to eat a lot more now, although i do still struggle sometimes. Snacks are now fruit and nut packs that I grab on my way to work - 300 calories, gives me energy for about an hour and a half, then I can eat again.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I weigh over 400lbs and rarely feel hungry because I am also anorexic. Anorexia is a term that means "without appetite" and should not be universalized to mean anorexia nervosa... Those having the nervosa manifestation can incur a lack of proper appetite due to avoiding certain hunger cues.

Being full should not be painful or even noticeable. It should simply be a status quo, lack of need to evacuate or fill.

Every time I've caught myself undereating (this happens all the time, as I usually clock at about half my needed daily intake of 3300), I've had to retrain my belly. At one point, I was 340lbs or so and ate about 1000 calories a day with binges randomly, which was ridiculous.

My best recommendation for refeeding is add 100-200 calories every 1-2 days until you meet you goal intake and then keep yourself consistent. A way I increased my intake was eating a serving of almonds on the hour every hour. Very easy, not insanely filling, and high calorie.
  • gurjants
    gurjants Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Working out definitely raises my appetite.
  • emlou112
    emlou112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I'm like this, it's almost painful. If I eat so much in one go I feel totally lazy and kind of ill and all I wanna do is lie down until that stuffed feeling goes away.
  • brahmaq
    brahmaq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always had a hard time finishing meals or even starting meals when feeling hungry. I'm 6'6 and 170lbs with a stupid fast metabolism even at 33yo. If I don't get at least 3000 calories a day I lose weight fast.
    I've been trying juicing sweet potatoes and carrots and oranges AFTER at least one meal a day. Also adding a protein shake after a meal or with a snack before bed. I'm hoping this strategy will allow me to pack in more calories daily by drinking them as its a bit easier to drink more while full than force more solid food down. We'll see...
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    brahmaq wrote: »
    I've always had a hard time finishing meals or even starting meals when feeling hungry. I'm 6'6 and 170lbs with a stupid fast metabolism even at 33yo. If I don't get at least 3000 calories a day I lose weight fast.
    I've been trying juicing sweet potatoes and carrots and oranges AFTER at least one meal a day. Also adding a protein shake after a meal or with a snack before bed. I'm hoping this strategy will allow me to pack in more calories daily by drinking them as its a bit easier to drink more while full than force more solid food down. We'll see...

Hey Brah, have you looked into other weight gain products? GNC has a biomass powder that is 700 calories per serving, plus whatever fluid you use to mix it. Just a thought. Good luck and stick with it!
  • winneyj
    winneyj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested or mentioned this. But one thing I quickly found that ruined my appetite is energy drinks/ soda. If your gonna be increasing your caloric intake you need to stay away from these sugary drinks. They spike your insulin and make you feel full for hours. And obviously they are unhealthy anyways. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that if I'm bulking, soda and energy drinks are simply not an option.

Good luck!
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    f_tothe3rd wrote: »
    I personally think low calorie foods are the culprit. Veggies fill up your belly and don't offer much more than some vitamins. Eat high cal veggies like sweet potatoes and squash over broccoli or leafy greens

I do agree with this to some extent. I eat a ton of salads & greens and the nitrients are great but damnit its hard to stay full on that stuff. Im hungry an bour later...like the Chinese food effect. :)

• tollybuzzard
    tollybuzzard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel you guys.

I don't feel disgusted by my food but for some reason the full feeling bothers me and I feel exhausted