Advice needed :- Arm and Shoulder strenght training routine

Options
Hi ALL, wondering if I could get some help.

I am looking for an arm / shoulder strenght programme. I have only started to split my workouts, have a chest one, as an expamle its Bench press 70% 1 RM 3 by 15, then incline and decline 3 by 15's at 50% etc etc

Is there ssomething simialr you could suggest for arms shoulders?

Replies

• TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    just do the same thing, only instead of bench, do overhead press.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Drop your reps. The best strength gains come from 1 - 6 reps.

How long have you been lifting? If the answer is less than 3 years, you probably don’t need to do splits. I’d do squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups and standing overhead press. A good 5x5 program will give you the best strength gains for the time in the gym.

• fireflye38
    fireflye38 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have a look online for a programme called beast body, made by the same company that does the insanity dvd's. It's a weights version. We have been using it at work for the last couple of weeks. It does work you hard, so start with lighter than usual weights.
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    Thanks guys

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,871 Member
    Options
    As AllanMisner said, a full-body routine will cover what you need. But even after lifting for 5+ years, I find a full-body routine works for me now. I only do a single arm exercise per workout; the rest of the time I adhere to an old training adage I once heard:

"If you have the energy to work your arms, you have the energy to work your chest & back."

In other words, any time you do a pressing movement for chest you hit your triceps; any pulling motion works your biceps. Indirectly, yes, but still work.
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    I would normally do all over body, and find them more enjoyable, but I pulled my hamstrinbg last week so I gotta do something to keep going, and was thinking splitting them would at least get me into the gym 3 / 4 days a week
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi, as everyone else has said, compound movements are great for building overall strength (in the 1-6 rep range on working sets). The only compound exercise that I do though is various forms of bench press and isolation work on bi/tris/shoulders etc. Maybe you could add some auxiliary isolations in after your compounds to specifically target weak points?
  • bobyknish
    Options
    I usually go: 3-4x10 rep. bicep curls/ hammer curls, 2x30-50 rep. Forearm workouts, 3x8 rep. Overhead press. 3-4x8 rep tricep workout, and some shrugs. Great arm/shoulder workout. You might get burned out after a while, so you can adjust the weight/sets
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    bobyknish wrote: »
    I usually go: 3-4x10 rep. bicep curls/ hammer curls, 2x30-50 rep. Forearm workouts, 3x8 rep. Overhead press. 3-4x8 rep tricep workout, and some shrugs. Great arm/shoulder workout. You might get burned out after a while, so you can adjust the weight/sets

Why would you do 50 rep sets? I can understand some circuit training where everything is lots of reps as cardio, but one exercise that many reps the rest 8-10???