can anyone tell me will 300 crunches aday burn off belly fat?

Options
I am finally up to 300!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No. You cannot spot reduce.

But good on ya for working out!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    No, it won't. Eating in a calorie deficit will.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Nope...no such thing as spot reduce like the two said above me...don't believe the websites that tell you otherwise...you need to be on a calorie deficit plus do resistance training and cardio.....the problem areas are normally gonna be the last ones to go anyway.
  • BSmith0926
    BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks for your post.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction. It's called diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    None

you lose belly fat through a calorie defecit

and crunches are not the best exercise for your abs - try compound lifts and push-ups
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    yes.

if you do 600 crunches a day you're guaranteed a 6 pack in about a month.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    yes.

shurrup :bigsmile:
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    yes.

shurrup :bigsmile:

Lol.. It's true!! The secret is in the number!
    6 (for 6 packs)
    00 <-- aaaaaabs.
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Research is negative on crunches especially the strain on lower backs try instead planks, squats and lunges to improve core strength and looking more toned
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    idabentley wrote: »
    Research is negative on crunches especially the strain on lower backs try instead planks, squats and lunges to improve core strength and looking more toned

planks .. the most overrated beginner's exercise ever .. once you can hold a static plank for 60 seconds you aren't getting any further benefit from it .. people seem to forget that they need to made their exercises dynamic and build the resistance
  • BSmith0926
    BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I started 3 years ago and lost 50 pounds I am almost where I want to be and just need to fix a few problem areas.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

planks .. the most overrated beginner's exercise ever .. once you can hold a static plank for 60 seconds you aren't getting any further benefit from it .. people seem to forget that they need to made their exercises dynamic and build the resistance

Well, while planks aren't the best, I disagree. I held a two minute plank yesterday post workout, the first minute being easy, but by minute two my whole body was shaking and I was sweating bullets. I doubt I stopped seeing benefits.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Weighted planks seem to be pretty popular.

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Have you read the stickied post at the top of this section about belly fat? Take a peek

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options

What about the myriad variations? Decline, wall, arm/leg lift. There is a way to progress planks without pushing it to three minute static holds. Right?
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options

Well, while planks aren't the best, I disagree. I held a two minute plank yesterday post workout, the first minute being easy, but by minute two my whole body was shaking and I was sweating bullets. I doubt I stopped seeing benefits.

congratulations you can now hold a plank for 2 mins which means .. you are better at holding planks

increasing weight resistance - agreed
    dynamic - agreed

but a static plank? holding it for longer means you can hold it for longer
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

congratulations you can now hold a plank for 2 mins which means .. you are better at holding planks

increasing weight resistance - agreed
    dynamic - agreed

but a static plank? holding it for longer means you can hold it for longer

I have always struggled with weak shoulders, which planks have helped strengthen. It's not so much core on my part. But to say a static plank is completely useless is a little hyperbolic.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What does your exercise routine currently consist of? I know I used to cardio all the time and would get no where, but when I started lifting and watching my macros (and not starving myself) the lower belly pooch seemed to whither away.