weight lifting?

Options
i am not sure what exercises to do. I know people say weight lifting can help but I am 50 pounds over weight and there isn't much strength. any tips for where to start? I see women who have changed their body through lifting and I am not sure how to do that? I am really new to the weights part

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    pick a program:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting For Women
    Starting Strength

I was doing Stronglifts 5x5, but recently switched to Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. The reason for the switch is that I think I would benefit from the extra lifts in the Ice Cream 5x5. They are very similar programs.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I will look some of those up thank you. I saw strong lifts but I cant lift that much normally much less while trying to do squats
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    pick a program:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
    Starting Strength

Yep^
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts gets my vote. I'm also fifty pounds overweight and super weak. Been going to the gym for two weeks, and today started stronglifts. I had to modify some of the weight, but I did it. Seems more fun that cardio to me personally. My advice is just go do it, and if needed, adjust to a point that it is doable for you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    pick a program:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
    Starting Strength

I was doing Stronglifts 5x5, but recently switched to Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. The reason for the switch is that I think I would benefit from the extra lifts in the Ice Cream 5x5. They are very similar programs.

Spot on. I love weight lifting, it makes me feel so strong, and it's changed my body in amazing ways.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is really simple for a beginner because there are only five lifts to learn! Start where you can, even if it's with a lower weight fixed bar!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe start on machines rather than free weights. More safety in place I think since everything is on rails, hinges etc

Start light and work you way up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    pick a program:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
    Starting Strength

Yes this
    myaminals wrote: »
    I will look some of those up thank you. I saw strong lifts but I cant lift that much normally much less while trying to do squats

The point is you start off with what you can manage - if you can only do bodyweight squats then great do them ... get your form right .. and then build your resistance regularly

You will be able to do much more than you think much sooner than you think

And yes .. it works, alongside a calorie defecit! (I was 50lbs overweight and weak too)
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone I will start with lower weight points tonight to see what I can do. for those of you that have done it. when did you start to notice a difference adding in the weights to diet?