Does no muscle soreness mean you haven't worked hard enough?

Options
Hi everyone

I'm used to running or going on the cross trainer and I do bodypump twice a week (although as of last week I've switched a BP class to an Insanity class), yesterday I did my first routine of lower body exercises following a session with my PT but I don't really have any muscle soreness, front of thighs ache and my butt aches but not as much as what I thought considering what I did. Does this mean I need to work harder?

To give you an idea of what I did, see the following:

5x Minute warmup on Crosstrainer
4x Reps of 10 on the Leg Press at 50kg (all with 15-30 seconds rest in between)
4x Reps of 15 Lunges on each leg holding 8kg Kettlebells (all with 15-30 seconds rest in between)
4x Reps of 10 Squats holding 8kg Kettlebell (all with 15-30 seconds rest in between)
3x Reps of 20 Step ups on the box on each leg holding 8kg kettlebell ((all with 15-30 seconds rest in between)
To finish off, 1000m on the Rowing Machine at Speed no lower than 2.30.

I'm a bit peeved that I'm not aching as much as what I thought I would as I thought having sore muscles means you worked harder or is this wrong?

Thanks, Kel
x

Replies

• lukejspoor
    lukejspoor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just trying to bump up your weight a bit, perhaps start off with a heavier weight then if it is too much drop down. If heavy weights are too much just do lots of reps on a much lower weight.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the DOMS gets you worse the second day after exercise. I wouldn't be so sure you've escaped just yet.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I've got another session with PT so I'll speak to him too! :-)
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not really - your muscles generally ache more when you've done a completely new movement that your body isn't used to, and if you've been doing body pump you'll be used to the movement of squats and lunges which most of your circuit consisted of.

For example - I rarely get DOMS from things like chest and shoulder pressing because I do them quite regularly, but when our bootcamp instructor once included negative pull-ups in the circuit I could barely lift my arms to get dressed and dry my hair for the next 3 days!

Anyway, you say you're aching a little anyway and maybe you're a bit stronger than you thought! Also agree that the 2nd day after is generally worse than the first...
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Firstly it would be really irresponsible of a PT to overload you to the point of after pain when introducing a new type of workout, so it's good that you aren't aching too much. You should be focusing on form and completing the movement safely and correctly to start with and you can increase the weight and intensity from there. If you are used to doing cardio an analogy would be like starting out with running and expecting to run a marathon on the first go. The reality is you have to lean the basics first, pacing, breathing and building up speed and stamina. The same is true of strength training, you need to learn the basics before you get to the point where you overload yourself - otherwise you risk injury.

Also some people just don't tend to suffer as much from DOMS as others. The only thing which gives me DOMS is deadlifting, and I have to go at it really hard to get DOMS doing that anyway.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I never get DOMS.... And if you told me I don't train hard enough you'd likely get a dumbell thrown at your head. (so, no.... It doesn't mean you haven't worked hard enough)

You should get to the last couple of reps struggling if the weight is heavy enough. You are probably more capable than you think... Don't underestimate your strength but don't go silly either
  • Arch155
    Arch155 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just pointing out that it's 4 sets of 10 repetitions (reps) not 4x reps of 10.

Personally for me I can usually feel some pain in the muscles the next day and they are usually painful to contract. It usually takes 2 days before they aren't sore (legs usually 3-4 days)

As some people said they don't get DOMs, so it may be that. I personally think it may be because you are new and may not be able to contract the muscles as efficiently as people who have been lifting for a while. I had that problem while training lats, it took me a long time to establish a good mind muscle connection but now it's second nature. Just keep at it!
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yeah sorry, 4 sets of 10 reps (haha)....I've read that drinking lots of water helps with DOMS too and I am a big water drinker (3-5 litres everyday, reaching 5 litres when I'm working out) so maybe thats why, who knows!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm in physical therapy now as a result of "no pain/no gain" type group strength training classes. I was at the point where I couldn't do daily activities for several days after a workout, such as reaching for things on the top shelf, carrying a bottle of milk with my left hand, etc. All the while I believed I was unfit and not working hard enough. The therapist says this whole idea that pain and suffering are necessary parts of a workout are tremendously damaging; she is also teaching me about the different types of pain, such as muscle soreness, typically large group muscles after a workout, which is typical and OK, and "pay attention pain", sharp pain, especially deep in a joint. My PT also told me that the person who taught the class actually has been to the clinic due to multiple injuries, as have many of the members of that fitness class. By the way, I almost never get sore from lower body work (squats, etc.); I don't think that means I'm "unfit" or not working hard enough.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    From my OWN experience (for what its worth) no.

Usually the only time i have soreness (and it usually takes a day or two to set in) is if I am doing a totally new movement/activity or i *significantly* bumped up the weight amount.