How much weight should I drop before incorporating lifting?

Options
Been stuck with doing cardio now for 1 1/2 months and wondering how long I should wait prior to starting a weight lifting program. I'm a 6'4" tall male and have dropped from 350 to 313 since March 15th 2015.

Replies

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    None. Crack on. Try the Starting Strength or 5x5 program
  • tippettbrian78
    tippettbrian78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was just trying to maximize the weight loss without losing whatever muscle is still under this mess.
  • silver_inca
    silver_inca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should start straight away :) Weightlifting is an unreal fat burner. The effort of lifting weights burns calories, more calories are burned to rebuild and increase the muscle tissue and the increased muscle burns even more calories. Way to go :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lift now. The primary reasons to lift while in a deficit are to preserve your existing muscle mass and increase strength.

Forget the mumbo jumbo about lifting being a fat burner - that comes from your calorie deficit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    None.... You're already lifting weight. (your self!) you should have a decent set of legs at least? :)
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, I best get on it then :)
  • tippettbrian78
    Options
    None.... You're already lifting weight. (your self!) you should have a decent set of legs at least? :)
    Yep, think I can skip leg day for a while.... :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

No, don't! You'll get huge benefit from working the big muscle groups...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Friends don't let friends skip leg day!
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    lift lift and lift, i lost most of my weight lifting
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights ASAP.

Lifting weights helps you preserve your current muscle mass as you are losing weight. You will also like the things it does to your body as you are losing weight.

I have been taking pictures of myself regularly for the last 2 years, and it blows people's minds. I found a picture of myself from like 6 years ago. I know I was 188-199lbs. It was from an exercise group I was in at church. After the group disbanded, I gained 30-40lbs, hitting my high of 228lbs. I wore a size 18 pants and a 42DD bra. Then I have a picture of myself last year at 195lbs. Size 12 pants, size 38DD bra. The difference? I've been lifting heavy for 2 years. I've been losing fat and gaining muscle. The last time I wore a size 12, I weighed less than 150lbs.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Straight away!!!
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    In 3 months of lifting I've lost 14lb and 34 inches can't recommend it enough :)
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    You can start now, which will help you burn those fat quickly.
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    37 lbs in a month? okay.
  • tippettbrian78
    Options
    kalbo798 wrote: »
    37 lbs in a month? okay.

Nothing to it, cut out beer and burgers everyday. Went from 5K calories to around 1200 and the rest was easy.