is it bad to eat eggs too often?

Options
ek0513
ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
I am one of those people that when I find a food I like, I can literally eat it every single meal, every day of the week. Well lately, I feel that way about eggs. Usually I will have two for breakfast, and have a smaller lunch, and a dinner later that day. Occasionally I would have eggs for two of my meals. i am just wondering if there are any negative health effects of eating eggs too much. I am still eating within my calorie goals, so i'm not worried about it effecting my weightloss, but is it at all bad for your health? thanks. also if you are like me, let me know because I would love to be reassured i am not the only weirdo for wanting to eat the same thing all the time.

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating some other things for nutrients. I eat at least 1 egg every day.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    My sister eats eggs every single day of her life. Shes super fit so I think its all good!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't mind the cholesterol in the yolks. I eat a ton of whole eggs every day. My cholesterol is the same no matter what. One of my family member's cholesterol spikes just walking by the egg section at the grocery store.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't mind the cholesterol in the yolks. I eat a ton of whole eggs every day. My cholesterol is the same no matter what. One of my family member's cholesterol spikes just walking by the egg section at the grocery store.

I eat about 5 essg a day, along with a ton of bacon and saturated fat. Lipid panel/cholesterol is perfect. I am overweight, but also very active. From a nutrition standpoint, it doesnt get much better than eggs.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Eggs are magnificent little oddly-shaped things of food. I've been eating 3-4 a day for about a decade and my bloodwork is great. Cholesterol is good for you.

Revel in the glory of the egg! Sing the song of its bounty. Dance a dance of joy, for we can keep eggs by the dozen. Excelsior!
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Eggs are magnificent little oddly-shaped things of food. I've been eating 3-4 a day for about a decade and my bloodwork is great. Cholesterol is good for you.

Revel in the glory of the egg! Sing the song of its bounty. Dance a dance of joy, for we can keep eggs by the dozen. Excelsior!

I like your enthusiasm for eggs.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you don't want to be around me in the morning if someone has eaten the last of the eggs and not bothered to tell me...

Eggs and coffee are my mandatory breakfast items. If one is missing then I am apt to get incredibly narky.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Eggs = death. That's a scientific fact. As long as you have a balanced diet, I think you're good.

I guess this was meant as a joke.

Anyway, I guess we're the same. Once I start liking a food, I'll have it everyday. Eggs are delicious and you can make many different styles and dishes.

• aleishahamilton
    aleishahamilton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just had a baby and have found myself craving boiled eggs, I can eat them all day
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad. That's basically what "too much" means. Do you eat eggs too often, or just often? Do you get enough of the different nutrients you body needs? Do you feel fine?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Although eggs are no longer supposed to be the devil, still it is not a food completely "safe" to consume in large amounts, also depending on what else your diet includes. This is one of the points where most drs and medical sites seem to disagree with many of the posters on this site.
    As the Harvard site mentions "research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life"

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole egg everyday and sometimes 2 if I need to up my protein count. I haven't had any problems from eating them everyday.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do this. For a long time I drank green smoothies for breakfast and ate the same salad for lunch (like for months, every day)... now I'm doing oatmeal w/ egg and yogurt for breakfast and a slightly different salad for lunch with more protein. I like to eat the same things over and over because once I find something that fits my macros its easy to keep going with it! Plus its yummy!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

This about sums it up :)

OP-my kids pediatrician told me that even kids can eat eggs daily now because they're so good for us. The old thought of eggs=bad cholesterol has been debunked so enjoy your eggs!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Eggs gained a bad nutrition reputation due to a high amount of dietary cholesterol (from the yolks). In the mid 20th century, a lot of evidence arose showing that high blood cholesterol levels were a precursor to heart disease, and lipid hypothesis became popular, which suggested that eating too much cholesterol and saturated fat could lead to heart disease. Since then, many studies have shown that, in healthy individuals without certain medical conditions (such as diabetes), only a small fraction of the amount of cholesterol you eat contributes to blood cholesterol count, and furthermore certain ratios are more important than high overall blood counts. However, established nutrition science moves slowly, and it was not until earlier this year that the US 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee finally noted that "cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for overconsumption."

tl;dr: eat dem eggs. If you don't get enough cholesterol in your diet, your body will synthesize it anyway because it needs it.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg based breakfast most days. It doesn't seem to be doing me any harm! they keep me full until lunch and stop me snacking on crappy foods.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

shouldn't that be eggcelsior? :D
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat 3-5 eggs a day. Usually boiled. Cholesterol is fine. Blood work is fine. No issues.