cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    cheerios.jpg

Only came in the thread to make a Cheerio joke, beaten to it :D
  • lisa2499
    lisa2499 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Using this app the iron is always really low. I used to donate blood but kept getting denied when my iron was a bit too low to donate. I became anaemic through both my pregnancies and ended up on iron tablets from the doctor and didn't like the side effects but took them for baby's sake . I'm not massively overweight but I would say I'm unhealthy and it's only now I'm really looking into what exactly I'm eating and what it's doing to my body! Ditching the crap and embracing the good x
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have to take tablets. I'm mostly meat-free and I don't want to risk dipping too low. When I used to donate platelets (darn Mexico trip has me on a deferral list for one year) I was frequently too low on iron to donate. Now I just take a pill every day with lunch.
  • lisa2499
    lisa2499 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are they supplements from a health food shop? X
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    lisa2499 wrote: »

I'm in Canada, and Feramax is available from the pharmacist (over the counter). It's the one that has fewer side effects. It hasn't bothered me at all.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options

I'm in the US and they're available at grocery & drug stores.

I always take them with food (I made the mistake of taking one on an empty stomach once...ow).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, and Feramax is available from the pharmacist (over the counter). It's the one that has fewer side effects. It hasn't bothered me at all.

That's the common experience with Feramax... a good experience that is. We seem to know a lot of blood donors and at some point or another all of us have been using it and I'm not aware of any of our friends who have had issues.

Too bad it's so expensive in Canada... cheapest we've found it is at Costco. I'm hoping 10 days of Feramax post-donation will be enough for me, but we'll see in another three weeks.

Low ferritin for regular donors is not unusual at all, according to Canadian Blood Services. We both received ferritin warnings from them - well after the donation - for the first time last year as part of a pilot project. I was surprised as my haemoglobin was well above the cut off that day, more or as usual. I hope CBS make ferritin screening + follow up for donors a regular thing because it's easy to have acceptable haemoglobin on the day of donation yet still have low ferritin stores.

• icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take supplements and make homemade kale chips out of my garden to keep my iron intake up! I recommend buying some iron supplements for an easy fix! But kale is a really good source of iron and is very easy to grow! Frogs love it and will help keep bugs away. You have to manage the slugs yourself, unfortunately. Kale chips are very delicious! You just cook them in your oven with chicken spice you buy in a plastic container and some olive or vegetable oil! Store them in a sealed container and they'll stay good for a few days.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I love Spatone!

4282-9744-4.jpg

It's water from a well with a naturally high iron level. It comes in sachets like the above, and it is the ONLY iron supplement i've taken that doesn't royally jack up my stomach.

You just add the sachet into a small glass of OJ (vitamin C helps absorption).

good luck!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Using this app the iron is always really low. I used to donate blood but kept getting denied when my iron was a bit too low to donate. I became anaemic through both my pregnancies and ended up on iron tablets from the doctor and didn't like the side effects but took them for baby's sake . I'm not massively overweight but I would say I'm unhealthy and it's only now I'm really looking into what exactly I'm eating and what it's doing to my body! Ditching the crap and embracing the good x

Make sure all your food entries include iron counts. Many of the entries don't have micronutrient info included, so the app may not give you accurate number (I was alarmed at how low my iron consumption was when I first started tracking here until I realized it wasn't really being tracked).