Are all calories equal

Options
if 2 people we the same weight and both eat 1400 calories a day but one gets the calories from fast food and the other gets his from healthy balanced foods would they loose the same amount of weight as they are still both only consuming 1400 total calories?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Too many variables you haven't mentioned (activity, hormones, diet history, height etc)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If both people were otherwise identical, then yes.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie but other macros and nutrients also have impact on our bodies functions too, which contribute to overall health, if not specifically weight (i.e. fatigue, muscle mass, skin)
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Idk... Maybe? But it perplexes me when people go on "diets" or consider themselves being healthy by eating the same crappy food just in smaller amounts. You will lose weight, but why not care about nutrients & what you're putting in your body? I am by know means super strict on my diet. Definitely a proponent of eating anything you desire in moderation. But I would say I consider 80% of the stuff I consume "healthy". But if my entire diet consisted of fast food & junk I would still feel like I was making poor choices. Worrying solely about weight loss is vain... But we're all a little vain so I get it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If 2 (same size) identical twins went on a 1400 calorie diet....one ate junk....the other ate healthy balanced meals....they would lose weight at essentially the same pace.

Here's the problem with a junk food diet. When you reduce your calories you need to make smarter choices to stay full, to get enough nutrients (macro & micro)....etc. We make better choices for health reasons.

Protein to support lean muscle (I want to lose fat, not muscle). Fat is beneficial to absorb vitamins and support other bodily functions. Fiber helps with digestion. These 3 things are filling also. An all junk food diet is going to leave me hungry most of the time.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy measurement. Yes, all calories are equal, just as all other units of measurement are equal to similar units (inch to inch, meter to meter, US/UK gallon to US/UK gallon, ounce to ounce, etc.).
  • shaunte92
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    Idk... Maybe? But it perplexes me when people go on "diets" or consider themselves being healthy by eating the same crappy food just in smaller amounts. You will lose weight, but why not care about nutrients & what you're putting in your body? I am by know means super strict on my diet. Definitely a proponent of eating anything you desire in moderation. But I would say I consider 80% of the stuff I consume "healthy". But if my entire diet consisted of fast food & junk I would still feel like I was making poor choices. Worrying solely about weight loss is vain... But we're all a little vain so I get it

You're making assumptions that people don't get a mix of different foods in. I don't see many people at all here recommending people eat a diet of 100% fast food. Also, because you believe something is crappy doesn't mean someone else does.

The question clearly says one person gets there calories from fast food. No assumptions made. That was the hypothetical situation :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    if 2 people we the same weight and both eat 1400 calories a day but one gets the calories from fast food and the other gets his from healthy balanced foods would they loose the same amount of weight as they are still both only consuming 1400 total calories?

All other things being equal, then yes.

Would one be "healthier" than the other? Maybe, but it depends on the actual macro and micro make-up of the food
    Would one be hungrier than the other? Maybe, but it depends on the volume and satiety of the food chosen.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As far as consuming them yes. As far as giving you energy for working out not so much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Will you lose the same mount of fat? Yes. Will you lose the same amount of scale weight? Maybe, maybe not.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Would depend on how active they are. But assuming same burn, yes. Though their energy levels may vary depending on 'quality' and 'quantity' of food consumed, so it might not work long term for one to feel sustained on 1400 cals 'fast food'.

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If 2 (same size) identical twins went on a 1400 calorie diet....one ate junk....the other ate healthy balanced meals....they would lose weight at essentially the same pace.

Here's the problem with a junk food diet. When you reduce your calories you need to make smarter choices to stay full, to get enough nutrients (macro & micro)....etc. We make better choices for health reasons.

Protein to support lean muscle (I want to lose fat, not muscle). Fat is beneficial to absorb vitamins and support other bodily functions. Fiber helps with digestion. These 3 things are filling also. An all junk food diet is going to leave me hungry most of the time.
    This person is smart.

• ygrmstr
    ygrmstr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're talking purely for weight-loss then yes they are same thing. Weight loss and weight gain always comes down to calories in vs calories burned. That being said, eating calories from healthy whole foods is going to make you feel fuller, more energetic, and all around better than if you're getting the same amount of calories from fast food. It is possible to meet your caloric goals from fast food alone but you will be eating a smaller volume of high calorie, crappy food to get there. It's best to only eat fast food if you're in a pinch and have it still for into your calorie goal and hopefully your macros as well.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Will you lose the same mount of fat? Yes. Will you lose the same amount of scale weight? Maybe, maybe not.

This is a good point. One may gain muscle and so appear to be heavier by the scale, but will be more fit and will look better naked.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg76 wrote: »

This is a good point. One may gain muscle and so appear to be heavier by the scale, but will be more fit and will look better naked.

If they are both eating at a deficit, how will one gain muscle?
  • shaunte92
    Options

You're making assumptions that people don't get a mix of different foods in. I don't see many people at all here recommending people eat a diet of 100% fast food. Also, because you believe something is crappy doesn't mean someone else does.

The question clearly says one person gets there calories from fast food. No assumptions made. That was the hypothetical situation :)
    You're taking a hypothetical situation the OP asked and said it bothers you when people do that so how can it bother you if it's hypothetical unless you're assuming someone is actually doing that.

... I'm saying I would not advocate it. It's my opinion. Why are you so concerned with nit picking my words & thoughts? Breathe. Everything will be okay. I'm sure you have way more important things to do today to make an argument out of a non-issue online with someone you don't know.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg76 wrote: »

That's not what I meant at all. No once is gaining muscle in a deficit. Just saying if they are doing the same workouts, they will lose the same amount of fat (as long as there is some macro balance with both diets). Some foods could make them hold water so the scale may not reflect the same amount of weight loss.