Hunger headaches/migraines!

Options
Every so often I get these wicked tension headaches. I know they are caused by the knots in my shoulder, as when I get a massage they go away. However they can sometimes evolve into a migraine, with nausea and sensitivity to light. On these days I just want to curl up in a dark room and eat saltine crackers in an effort to get rid of it. Today might be one of these days.

What are your tricks to staying on track on days like this?

I must confess I'm new to migraine control and treatment, so if you have tips on migraine management please share!

Replies

• shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you take any medication for migraines? I crave caffeine and salty foods when they strike, but Imitrex and Maxalt changed my life. I take which ever one I have on hand and it usually knocks out the migraine within an hour or so, if I take it right away.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have had migraines since I was very young. Regular exercise, a crazy amount of hydration with water and plenty of sleep help keep mine at bay. I've also noticed some foods are a trigger for migraines so maybe tracking what you're eating and when you're having the headaches and/or migraines will help you notice a pattern. I used to have to take Imitrex for mine but haven't had to use it in about 5 months due to being very diligent with avoiding my triggers! good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Find out what your triggers are and avoid them.

Since starting my diet im a lot less stressed, have more energy, better fed. In terms of diet and staying on track then migraines if not caught early enough will incapacitate me so food and exercise would be the last things on my mind, survival is. Ecert one is different, but if they arent happening often then its just one day in your diet so id be dealing with suviving the migraine and not worry about the rest.

Thers a wealth of migraine information here, information sheets faq etc. It will give you more in depth and complete information than you will get on MFP. As a sufferer for over 30 years I understand they arent fun, but you can learn to control them.
    http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a bout of migraines about a year ago. The only thing that could come close to relaxing me was a massage...I would literally walk straight to a spa in tears every time. I actually don't remember being that hungry though, because I was so nauseous. Why don't you log a crap ton of saltines or whatever will sooth you a little, and go a little lighter on dinner or do a bunch of veggies. If you're still hungry, go over your deficit a bit?

Also, I hold a lot of tension and get horrible knots in my shoulders too. One thing that helped was foam rolling, especially the roller with the "spikes"...but my life changed when I discovered rolling on this little sports ball. A lot of people use a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball, but the one I have is a little softer than a lacrosse ball. You can lie on the floor or lean against a wall, roll it around a bit, and when you find a tight knot let it sit there and take some really deep breaths. It has actually changed my quality of life.
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions. I have spoken with my doctor about them, but they happen so infrequently I'd hesitate to go on medication if there's other things I can do to prevent them. Mostly, I think it's linked to all the knots in my shoulders. Seriously, it feels like marbles.

Arditarose, can you post a link to the ball you use? I've used tennis balls but I'm open to alternative trigger-point releases.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You may want to check out The Migraine Brain by Bernstein.

The last thing I'd be worried about is my deficit, or exercising, honestly. Just do what you need to in order to get through it. I've tried more recent medications and they made me ill. The only one that has worked is Midrin. It's an abortive, meaning you take it when you feel the migraine coming on.

Foam rolling is awesome. I'd also like to know what ball arditarose uses. Also, I think regular exercise does help me, though I personally have to be careful because certain exercise can trigger or worsen a migraine for me.

But, if you're really getting migraines, you definitely need to learn your triggers, as has been stated. Sometimes Natural Calm helps me a bit, sometimes it doesn't. It's a magnesium supplement. (Seems fairly common that people who get migraines are deficient in magnesium. I haven't actually had myself tested for it, but I should.) Sometimes green tea helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes using a migrastix helps, sometimes it doesn't.There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for those things for me, though they're more likely to help some the earlier I catch it. But, if I'm getting aura or numbness, it's too late - I have to take my medication and even then I'll have at least a few hours of excruciating pain, followed by migraine-hangover.

Good luck!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Athena1007 wrote: »
    All good suggestions. I have spoken with my doctor about them, but they happen so infrequently I'd hesitate to go on medication if there's other things I can do to prevent them. Mostly, I think it's linked to all the knots in my shoulders. Seriously, it feels like marbles.

Arditarose, can you post a link to the ball you use? I've used tennis balls but I'm open to alternative trigger-point releases.

I'm looking for it. I have no idea what it is. Though, if the tennis ball didn't help you I don't know if this would. I just think the tennis ball kind of slips and doesn't get into the knots as well.

Also, when I use it on my butt I can feel it up in my head too. I had a headache today and did it before I worked out. Serious release.
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    On your butt? I had no idea trigger points could go that far down!

Also, used my tennis ball and did some yoga stretches last night, that plus ibuprofen and tiger balm helped out immensely. Maybe I should just make an effort to stretch regularly throughout the day.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned...figure out your triggers and avoid them. There are some common ones out there. My sister for example gets bad migraines if she eats too many almonds. For my Grandma, it's chocolate and certain flowers. A friend of mine will end up in the hospital if she consumes Aspartame. Keep a food log if that would be helpful for you to identify your triggers.

In desperation, Imitrex works wonders.

I haven't had a migraine for a long time thank goodness, but I do recall that when I felt one coming on, I would roll peppermint halo (a peppermint extract for headaches I would buy at the healthfood store) around my temples and neck around the hairline, in combination with taking Advil liqui-gels and that would *sometimes* stave it off.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Athena1007 wrote: »
    On your butt? I had no idea trigger points could go that far down!

Also, used my tennis ball and did some yoga stretches last night, that plus ibuprofen and tiger balm helped out immensely. Maybe I should just make an effort to stretch regularly throughout the day.

Yes...the butt. It's amazing. Sometimes when I'm rolling on it I can feel it behind my eye. Foot too!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I usually have prodromal symptoms well in advance of a migraine (typically constipation 48 hours ahead of time and unexplained irrational anger more like 12 hours in advance). I start taking ibuprofen as soon as I have those symptoms and it typically lessens the severity and duration of the migraine.
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've had chronic migraines for about 20 years or so. I used to have them approx. 5-6 times a week. I've taken many, many meds to keep them at bay and until the last year, none have REALLY worked. They've all helped some, but none of totally knocked them out until my current cocktail , exercise, hydration and a much healthier diet. In the last year, I've gone from 5-6 per week to maybe 1 per month, if that. My headaches are primarily tension related as well. One of the things I find most helpful is keeping my sleep in check- not too much, not too little. Also, if I find myself sedentary too much during a day, I'll start to feel a bit yucky. Instead of languishing in it, I'll get my butt up and head to the gym. It usually kicks the headache before it starts. Naproxen/Aleve is a good OTC med for tension headaches.

As far as eating is concerned, I'm still pretty new to MFP, so I haven't had to deal with a deficit AND a migraine, but frankly, I don't eat much when I have a migraine anyway because I get so nauseated.

Good luck, though!!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Headache normally is a sign that you need to hydrate more. Drink plenty water and rest for a while. You can massage you temples gently in a circular motion, that sometimes works. There are some natural oils that can help too if you burn them. Speaking of hydration I need to take my own advice. Good luck getting a solution.