Please help me with maintaining weight loss

Options
Hello friends!

I reached my goal weight of 120.5 lbs a few weeks ago. I decided to increase my calories, especially carbs, but now find myself 5 lbs heavier. It's been a few weeks so it cannot be all water.

I exercise the same but have thrown in some miles of running to the weight lifting. Running makes me want to eat a lot. I don't know why!

How do I calculate my maintenance calories, my wise and knowledgeable friends? I don't know where to begin or what my macros need to be now. Well I need to knock off these extra 5 lbs first...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the extra 5lb is probably glycogen and water from added running.

you should have a maintenance range not single goal weigh to account for fluctuations.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't realize that about running. Yes I think 5 pounds is a good range to maintain; I just didn't expect to hit the high end of it so quickly!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Those 5lbs are probably the same 5lbs of fast weight loss you had initially. Low carbing and a deficit can do that.

That weight is actually "good weight" (glycogen), especially for someone exercising like you.

Would advise just giving it a bit more time, it's not uncommon to have some weird and wonderful fluctuations when you are new to maintenance.

Your bathroom scales and time are the best guide to what your maintenance calories turn out to be. A rough estimate can be made from the last few weeks of weight loss. 1lb a week loss = 500 cals a day extra to maintain for example. Just feeling"fully fuelled" and more energetic can have an influence on the calories out part of the equation. It's as much an art as a science.

Macros are very individual, I like protein and fat as minimum goals and carbs fall wherever they fall within my calorie goal - gives loads of flexibility which you need for long term adherence.

And congrats by the way! :smiley:
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Thank you sijomial. I know for some of us seeing the weight creep back up is dreadful...by some I mean me! I have worked at this and am happy with my 14,5% body fat, muscle definition and general health situation. It feels good to be at the weight I am so now I have to really work at keeping things that way.

I wasn't exactly low carbing towards the end but I wasn't high carbing either. I prefer lesser carbs in my system (compared to protein and fats) just because my brain/body feel better that way. Running somehow demanded I eat more carbs. I was just hungry for them. I can't stand it though so if I have to quit running (again!) then so be it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've got the same mindset, working at maintenance is just the same as working to lose weight to me.
    You may find that just eating at maintenance changes the way you need to fuel (or not fuel) your running - my cycling endurance and performance without feeding is far better now than when I'm in a deficit.
    (I do still turn into a carb monster for my 2hrs+ rides though.)

Finding the diet (noun) that works for you is one of those keys to happy maintaining.

• ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing this, too- I got to my goal weight of 133 lbs (40 lbs lost in 8 months), and now I see the scale creeping up- I work out 6 days a week - cardio and weights- I am fit and strong, and I am maintaining my 1200 to 1500 calorie diet. I have been told it is due to the weights... I am fluctuating 133 to 138. I would actually like to get down to 130 lbs..... I guess I need the goals to work towards LOL
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Paradoxically, working out LESS sped up my weight loss.