Direct Ab Work

Options
I hear, "Just do compound lifts" and not to bother with direct ab work.

That's fine, I guess, but I'm not talking about crunches -- what about the really hard stuff? Wall planks, standing ab wheel rollouts, L-Sits.

Certainly those are of benefit?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They will help make your abs stronger, sure. There's nothing *wrong* with doing direct ab work. Some people just prefer not to and feel that compound lifts are sufficient for their own goals.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like to spend a few minutes at the end of my workouts on direct ab work. I know alot on here are anti ab stuff but the video packages I've done (Insanity, T25, Body Beast, Tapout XT, Insanity Max 30, Turbofire) all have videos specifically dedicated to direct ab work. Some of the programs have it as an add on video after you do a main video but a few even have it on a dedicated day in the program basically just making it an "ab day". So it's hard to believe the likes of Shaun T, Tony Horton, and Chalene Johnson are leading us astray. That being said I mainly go with 3 days cardio, 3 days weights and add in some ab work on the backends when I have time.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Benefit for what? If you are regularly doing compounds, then you probably already have strong and great looking abs (although they may not be visible due to high body fat %). If you never get to low enough BF% to reveal your abs, there is not much benefit at all. If your BF% is low enough that your abs are clearly visible, then you can further hypertrophy your abs with a lot of direct volume work. However, abs are slow growers, and they can tolerate a lot of direct work, even daily high volume. If you have time for that, then great, but if you don't have the time, it is a low priority for many people due to the low reward for time invested.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Benefit to hypertrophy, I guess. Partially, some of my reach goals include some bodyweight feats like dragon flags. I do the compound lifts, I'm getting the benefits there, but I feel like the prevailing attitude is "it's a waste of time".

I definitely understand the BF%; that's part of why I stopped my cut. I felt like when I finally got down to where they'd be visible, they wouldn't be interesting.

Right now they definitely aren't visible. I want to lay the best groundwork possible for my next cut.

And I've heard the "abs are fine daily" adage as well. Why is it generally considered true?

Even the grip strength stuff I've read suggests structuring it with rest days just like any other training. And that's for hands -- I use those all the time!
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    'its a waste of time' is certainly the prevailing attitude around here. I assume the majority of them think of direct ab work as little more then crunches.

crunches, where any out of shape person can easily start doing 100+ reps in a month if not a few weeks. the exercises you are talking about you're never going to hit 100 reps... so even if it is a waste of time (which it isn't), can reach failure in a few exercises in less then 10 min. so at least you aren't wasting much time lol.

I'd do direct work 3 times a week, sometimes I do 4 with 2 sets of days back to back.

like your hands, your abs are in some way involved in virtually every lift, so doing direct work daily would be overkill IMO
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Yes, I think most people assume I'm talking about banging out 100 crunches. And I guess a lot of people are talking about that. But I'm not.

I would imagine that as long as it's being progressed, there shouldn't be an issue. Kneeling rollouts become standing rollout become decline rollouts become incline rollouts. Etc.

And I also would imagine that working your abs every day would lead to some failed compound lifts if they're over-trained and you can't stabilize the weight.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think most people assume I'm talking about banging out 100 crunches. And I guess a lot of people are talking about that. But I'm not.

I would imagine that as long as it's being progressed, there shouldn't be an issue. Kneeling rollouts become standing rollout become decline rollouts become incline rollouts. Etc.

And I also would imagine that working your abs every day would lead to some failed compound lifts if they're over-trained and you can't stabilize the weight.

The progression in itself becomes part of the problem. Abs are stabilizers like calves, and they are used to getting a lot of daily work just from normal moving around. In the past I have tried to focus on progressively working my abs directly, using intense and difficult ab exercises until failure up to 5 days a week. Each time I have tried this, I end up progressing to the point where I am spending so much time working abs, with very little aesthetic results. My abs got slightly stronger, but they became so conditioned that I just needed more and more every week. The abs can take a lot of punishment, but the other muscles I was using indirectly while doing tons of ab work eventually starts cutting into my compound recovery. If you are training primarily for sports or some kind of physical activity, maybe it would make more sense to do a lot of direct ab work.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can't have too strong a core. I never understood the prevailing mentality around here. I like to incorporate L-sits, front & back levers, hanging knee/leg raises, and flag progressions into my training.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You can't have too strong a core. I never understood the prevailing mentality around here. I like to incorporate L-sits, front & back levers, hanging knee/leg raises, and flag progressions into my training.

Yes, this! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Granted, I can't do most of those but I am working my way through the progressions. So far I lack the balance for levers of any kind.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    if your doing intense ab exercises and you get to the point where they are 'easy'... their is a more intense move out there that you will not find so easy.

also ab work is MUCH easier if you use POOR form and/or momentum, be mindful of that. if your banging out 30 plus hanging leg raises without any effort at all, you've either been doing them for many, many years or your doing them wrong
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The "just do compound lifts" advice is usually to newbies who spend too much time trying to target their fatty areas. If you want to get good at bodyweight feats, then obviously you'll need to practice them.
    Benefit to hypertrophy, I guess. Partially, some of my reach goals include some bodyweight feats like dragon flags.

Isometric exercises like rollouts & L-sits aren't as good for hypertrophy as concentric and especially eccentric movements. A selectorized ab machine is great for that.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Hypertrophy or not, those rollouts are killers. Plus that gives me something to work towards; I got my ab wheel last night and can't execute a standing rollout. Maybe one. Definitely not a set.