80 lbs lost but see no significant difference

Options
I've lost almost 100 pounds... well 80 but still so close since my second pregnancy 7 months ago. I feel like there's no difference and I'm still huge. I guess it's because I was and still am morbidly obese. I wonder when my body will start to look smaller. Yes it does look a little smaller but not 100 lbs smaller.

I feel so sad about this :(

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    look back at pictures and I bet you will see a difference
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Why not post pics and look at them side by side. 100lbs is a huge loss, there will be a difference
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What about some of the older bigger clothes that you don't wear anymore? Put one on and notice the difference.
  • francesgenao
    francesgenao Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    don't be sad, everything takes time. U have done so well don't get down.
  • dgobbett
    dgobbett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I lost weight, because the change is so gradual and you likely look at yourself in the mirror everyday it is not as noticeable to you. Even pictures to me didn't do it..my friends and family would plead up and down they notice it but I never did.

What made it clear to me was clothes a pair of jeans I used to wear now immediately fell off of my waist. When I belted them on they bunched at the waist..that was when I knew that the 70lbs I lost was real.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    From your profile pic, you don't in anyway look obese. I'm sure there would be a noticable difference, but you don't have other pictures to compare to. Congrats on the 80 Lbs down. That's a remarkable achievement!
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You're sad? Girl, 80 pounds is 80 pounds! I understand that you want to see more of a difference, but you are doing great. You could 80 pounds heavier right now, but you've worked your butt off to get where you are. Keep pushing! & im sure there's a difference in how your clothes fit :) Congrats on the lost!
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Shrug that sad off! My loss wasn't as significant, but after losing 30 lbs. most days I felt like I couldn't see any difference. At 33 lbs. now, I'm seeing the change. It takes a while for the mind to catch up to the body, mine is still working on that. You'll need time to realize it too. Just keep going, one day you'll look at before-and-after pictures of yourself and be amazed!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Take pictures! I often don't see changes in the mirror or even in how my clothes fit depending on where I'm losing it from. It's hard to be objective when you don't have a comparison directly. I'm sure if you look at pictures before and pictures now there are definitely going to be differences.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I think you probably do have a big difference in your body from those 80 pounds lost.

But it could also be that, when we set out to lose weight, most of us think it's going to be this amazing life-changing thing with bells and whistles and a ticker tape parade when we're done. That all our problems will be solved, that we'll not only be slimmer and healthier, but also happier and more fulfilled.

The truth is, weight loss is just weight loss. Yes, it can be amazing to accomplish those interim or ultimate weight loss goals. But, as big an achievement as it is to have lost all that weight, it isn't going to be the be-all-end-all in life. If we're sad about certain things, or if we feel lonely or struggle with depression or have stress in life or difficulty in relationships, weight loss won't solve those problems.

It can be a bit of a letdown to think, 'okay, I lost all the weight, but my life still isn't amazing'. The only thing to do at that point is to put that feeling into perspective and focus on the things that really matter to you in life. Health in order? Check. What's next?
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I hear ya. I think you probably do have a big difference in your body from those 80 pounds lost.

But it could also be that, when we set out to lose weight, most of us think it's going to be this amazing life-changing thing with bells and whistles and a ticker tape parade when we're done. That all our problems will be solved, that we'll not only be slimmer and healthier, but also happier and more fulfilled.

The truth is, weight loss is just weight loss. Yes, it can be amazing to accomplish those interim or ultimate weight loss goals. But, as big an achievement as it is to have lost all that weight, it isn't going to be the be-all-end-all in life. If we're sad about certain things, or if we feel lonely or struggle with depression or have stress in life or difficulty in relationships, weight loss won't solve those problems.

It can be a bit of a letdown to think, 'okay, I lost all the weight, but my life still isn't amazing'. The only thing to do at that point is to put that feeling into perspective and focus on the things that really matter to you in life. Health in order? Check. What's next?

This is helpful to hear. I've lost 32 pounds and can't see any difference either. That's why I changed my profile picture to the side-by-side comparison it is now, so I can *try* to remind myself I look different.

I also changed jobs during this time, so people who knew me when I was fat(ter) have no idea that I've lost weight, and people who know me now have no idea I used to be bigger. I don't see my friends frequently enough, so I'm not sure how many of them saw me at my heaviest. Even with my pants barely staying on, it's been a little hard for me without getting feedback from other people. (stupid, I know).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    uptownplum wrote: »
    This is helpful to hear. I've lost 32 pounds and can't see any difference either. That's why I changed my profile picture to the side-by-side comparison it is now, so I can *try* to remind myself I look different.

I also changed jobs during this time, so people who knew me when I was fat(ter) have no idea that I've lost weight, and people who know me now have no idea I used to be bigger. I don't see my friends frequently enough, so I'm not sure how many of them saw me at my heaviest. Even with my pants barely staying on, it's been a little hard for me without getting feedback from other people. (stupid, I know).

It's not stupid. It's natural. We all get a lot of our self-perception from the feedback we get from others. Tell someone repeatedly that they're beautiful, and they'll likely start to believe it. Likewise the opposite.

Just keep in mind that there are lots of reasons why your friends or relatives may not comment on your weight loss, even if it's fairly obvious (which, judging by your profile pic, it is -- way to go!). They may think it's rude to comment on weight loss, or they might be uncomfortable raising the topic. They might also simply not be all that observant. Most people aren't; people tend to focus on themselves, and not notice other people's weight / looks / haircuts / new glasses / whatever. Also, people you see regularly might not notice a big difference because weight loss is gradual -- you might be more likely to get comments from people who you haven't seen in a while.

But if your pants are falling down, then you're definitely losing weight. Way to go!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    They might also simply not be all that observant. Most people aren't; people tend to focus on themselves, and not notice other people's weight / looks / haircuts / new glasses / whatever. Also, people you see regularly might not notice a big difference because weight loss is gradual -- you might be more likely to get comments from people who you haven't seen in a while.

This is so true. Most people simply don't notice things about other people. I have always been very observant, so sometimes it bugs me when people don't notice things like a haircut. I just joined MFP last week after already losing 21 pounds. My family members haven't noticed. But this time, at my age (59), I am doing this for me only, and not for the way I look, but for my health. I have knee, hip and back pain from this weight, and I hope it will stop when some of this poundage is gone.

Uptownplum, if you want to do something fun that has everything to do with weight loss and nothing to do with the way you look after, go pick up a couple of full gallons of milk at the grocery store. Together they weigh 17.2 pounds. I just did this, and I am amazed how heavy they are. I am no longer lugging that amount of weight around on my body and carrying it up stairs - what a relief! You have lost a couple pounds less than four gallons of milk! That is a LOT of weight that you are keeping off of your knees. It is a huge accomplishment - heck, my 21 pounds is a HUGE accomplishment for me, and I have 74 to go!!!

I hope this makes you feel a little better.

Good luck all. :)

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose the longer it takes to see a significant difference. I'm down 70 but I don't think anyone even really noticed until I lost about 50 and bought some new clothes that were properly fitted instead of wearing the old things I was wearing before.

Pictures definitely help! I take one about every 10 lbs just so I can remind myself that I have actually done something. Also, remember that it takes a while for your brain to catch up with your body in terms of what you see in the mirror. Sometimes I 'still' don't see it and it's been almost 2 years since I lost the major portion.

Give yourself some time and stick to it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go to a gym

Pick up an 80lb barbell

Walk around the gym

Then tell us there's no difference

Way to go YOU! That's an amazing loss

Let your head catch up with you and keep on going
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Clothes definitely fit differently. I was a size 26 after pregnancy and I'm a loose 20, pretty much 18 now. I can get 16s up but not done up. Even though my pant size is smaller I still feel like that size 26 girl.

Thanks you everyone for your kind words! I'm going to keep at it and hopefully I'll be a size 8 by the end of the year when I go home for the holidays. Surprise everyone!
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    From your profile pic, you don't in anyway look obese. I'm sure there would be a noticable difference, but you don't have other pictures to compare to. Congrats on the 80 Lbs down. That's a remarkable achievement!

I've mastered the skinny face angle :wink:
    Hahah
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    80 pounds is spectacular, WTG! You just keep getting it woman!
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »

I've mastered the skinny face angle :wink:
    Hahah

lmao so have I ;p People were surprised when they found out I was nearly 300lbs. Most say I look less than 200. Psh, I WISH!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Having gone from a size 26 myself to (currently) size 18, trust me, you can see a difference. IN PICTURES. You look at yourself in the mirror every single day. Your brain remembers you as you currently are. So when we look in the mirror, everything looks the same as it always has. Dig out the old pictures, and trust me when I say that there will be a difference.

You can see the difference 80-100 pounds made for me just by looking through my profile pictures. I'm not a special snowflake, and this transformation isn't unusual. Trust me, there's a difference.