Sick and soup/soda?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
Hi, I have recently come down with a cold, which had got me thinking: why do so many people suggest chicken noodle soup or ginger ale when you're sick? In my experience, soup is just simply too much sodium and makes me feel uncomfortable, while soda has just so much sugar that it seems kind of redundant to drink in order to feel better.
Why don't people suggest eating a salad, or a ton of fruit, instead? Is there something I'm missing? o.O

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Depending on how I am sick I might eat cream cheese toast or sherbet. No particular reason why except it is what I crave and can keep down.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Ginger is a very strong and effective anti-nausea treatment. Plus bubbles also can help soothe an upset tummy. But ginger candy is also a common recommendation, it doesn't have to be soda - I think that's just more generally available at regular grocery stores. For ginger candy you usually need an Asian market.

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Soup is soothing, warm liquid is nice on the throat and a good broth still has nutrients in it. Ginger ale is meant to help with gastro problems because of the ginger in it from what I understand... not just any soda. Some people find drinking the bubbles helps but I've always heard flat ginger ale for tummy troubles.

Personally, when I'm sick I like ice cream. Unless I'm barfy and then I live on a steady diet of Gravol and unconsciousness until it passes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    Hi, I have recently come down with a cold, which had got me thinking: why do so many people suggest chicken noodle soup or ginger ale when you're sick? In my experience, soup is just simply too much sodium and makes me feel uncomfortable, while soda has just so much sugar that it seems kind of redundant to drink in order to feel better.
    Why don't people suggest eating a salad, or a ton of fruit, instead? Is there something I'm missing? o.O

I suppose it depends on a lot of factors. Ginger ale has been covered. Homemade chicken soup has less sodium. The heat can also help open nasal passages. And if my throat hurts then the last thing I want to do is add a bunch of acidic fruit to the mix. A lot will depend on your personal culture and comfort foods, though.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick to my stomach I usually go with the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. :smile:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    With a cold and a stuffy nose, the warm soup helps so much to open up your nose... and warms the tummy... and if you make it yourself, you can control how much salt goes into the soup. And it's the easiest thing to make when you're sick and you don't want to cook... dump chicken and veggies into water, boil... done.

Ginger helps so much for the sore throat. I don't drink ginger soda, but I'll drop a piece of ginger into some hot water, squeeze some lemon juice in there, sweeten it up with honey... good tea for your throat. Ginger definitely helps with nausea as well.

You obviously don't have to eat/drink soup and ginger soda when you're sick... just helps with making you feel better. :drinker:
  • sofaking6
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

I suppose it depends on a lot of factors. Ginger ale has been covered. Homemade chicken soup has less sodium. The heat can also help open nasal passages. And if my throat hurts then the last thing I want to do is add a bunch of acidic fruit to the mix. A lot will depend on your personal culture and comfort foods, though.

That is a good point. I very rarely eat soup but if my mom made me some good ol' Jewish chicken noodle soup I'd be all over it. Even if I'm not sick, it warms my icy little heart :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Ginger is a very strong and effective anti-nausea treatment. Plus bubbles also can help soothe an upset tummy. But ginger candy is also a common recommendation, it doesn't have to be soda - I think that's just more generally available at regular grocery stores. For ginger candy you usually need an Asian market.
    Ginger ale is my go-to when I have an upset stomach. The sugar-free version works just as well as the full sugar version. Even better is bitters in club soda but I don't usually have bitters on hand.

Not all chicken soup is high in sodium. In fact, I'm sure when that was most highly touted as a "remedy" that it was always homemade and if you make it yourself it can have as much or as little as you want.
  • JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I make my own soup nowadays and it is easier to control the sodium. Google "zero point soup" for an easy recipe. :) Good luck.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Ginger ale is my go-to when I have an upset stomach. The sugar-free version works just as well as the full sugar version. Even better is bitters in club soda but I don't usually have bitters on hand.

Not all chicken soup is high in sodium. In fact, I'm sure when that was most highly touted as a "remedy" that it was always homemade and if you make it yourself it can have as much or as little as you want.

Off-topic, but a shot of bitters will usually cure hiccups.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I have a sore throat all I want is hot liquids.