Need advice/opinion: Day 2, try spinning?

Options
I want to try spinning class. I know its intense but it burns a boat load of calories and is a great efficient workout. It's only my second day back. Should I try it or give myself a week to get back into swing of exercise? I tend to get gung-ho when I reboot my workout goals and then burn out! But I'm excited, I get bored easily and love the feeling of a great workout. Only have an hour after work and did treadmill and weights yesterday. Took it easy.

Replies

• tboothe33
    tboothe33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The first time I took a spin class I almost passed out in the end. Lol. Been doing it for 6 months now and it's the class I hate the most which must mean it's the best. My Zumba classes leave me wanting more so I usually hit the treadmill after those but spin class delivers!
  • lauranewman130
    lauranewman130 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I took it a about 20 years ago when I was just getting into the gym for the first time.. I remember how tough it was! Never pursued it and did other things.
    But I know tons of people who swear by it and have gotten great results. My feet tend to get tired easily so I can't do too much treadmilling and aerobic classes.
  • ccat1987
    ccat1987 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love the spinning classes I take! I would say go for it but maybe limit the # you take per week at 1st to avoid an excitement burn out. I try to alternate the ones I take with a kettlebell class. It works different muscles and it gives your private area a break from those dreaded seats in spinning.

One of the best things about going to spinning - you cannot get left behind! Its okay to limit your push for health reasons.
  • lauranewman130
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going for it! Signed up and going after work. I agree-- ccat1987. I can always pace myself :smile:
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! I get up at 4am to go to a class Monday -Friday. Pace yourself, don't worry about adding more resistance every time the instructor tells you to, and get back on the bike the next day and day after. Your but WILL be sore, but it will get used to it. Sit back as far as you can in the saddle, with all your tissue off the back. That will help a bit. And when you decide you love it invest in a pair of cycle shoes.
  • lauranewman130
    Options
    Thanks for the tips @lmjohnson110 !
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Jusr set tge resistance low and pace yourself.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going for it! Signed up and going after work. I agree-- ccat1987. I can always pace myself :smile:

Good luck! Let us know how you like it. Spinning is my FAVORITE cardio (I hate pretty much all other cardio)
    I've been going once or twice a week for 2.5 years now. The most important factor for me is finding the instructors I like -- they each have different teaching styles and music, so you can shop around and find the best fit for you.

• BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Get there a few minutes before class and let the instructor know you are new. They should help you set up the bike properly and explain the tension and positions to you. Take it at your own pace. Your butt will be sore but after 2/3 classes it will get better.
  • bettina274
    bettina274 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Spinning is just about my favorite workout, besides Zumba and Piloxing. And when I look at the total mileage, which is usually around 20 for am45 min class, it's even better :)
    Agree on the shoes, much easier if you invest in a pair of cycling shoes.
  • lauranewman130
    Options
    K. That was tough but good. But damn! The seat pain was worse than the workout!! Lol. At one point I had to stop because of that. Thanks for the advice. Is like to stick with once a week and get Better
  • susansil
    susansil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been a spinning instructor for over 10 years, teaching an average of 5 classes a week. I also teach beginners' classes a couple times a month. Just be sure you are set up properly on the bike and remember to go at your own pace. The saddle discomfort will go away after a few classes but, until it does, it can be tough. Just stick it out. It's an amazing workout!
  • lauranewman130
    Options
    Thanks @susansil!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Is there a industry standard cleat system ? If so what is it ?
  • rosiegirl333
    rosiegirl333 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @lauranewman130 glad you took the class! it is my *favorite* form of cardio. I go 2-3 times a week. Lots of good advice given! Just don't let the saddle soreness get you down. Keep coming back!! Stand when you need to, go at your own pace and soon you will see your resistance going up. Best of luck!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Is there a industry standard cleat system ? If so what is it ?

Most spin bikes use dual-sided pedals: one platform, one SPD two-hole (mtb) clipless. BYOcleats.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Camo_xxx You can always call the studio/gym and ask if you aren't sure. But mostly what @cheshirecatastrophe said.
    Some studios (Flywheel I know does this for free) have cleats for rent at the studio. And others (like the YAS studio I go to) have baskets that clip into the pedals so you can just wear sneakers if you don't have the spin shoes.

To anyone interested, most bike stores sell the shoes and cleats, so you can always go in and try on to find your size, then look for the same shoes online. Just beware that the cleats are usually sold separately, and you either have to install them yourself or take them somewhere to be installed.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    SPD pedals certainly make sense, certainly don't want to walk around the gym clipity clopping in my road shoes
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes most spin bikes have baskets for your feet but it's not the same as cleats. And you have to pay for the cleats, but the cost is nominal. Cleats position your feet differently than the baskets, if you spin a lot you risk plantar faciitis. Believe me, you don't want that. I suffered from plantar faciitis for a long time.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Spinning is done at your own level so go ahead. If it's too intense just turn the knob down.