Heart Rate Monitors????

Options
Hey everyone,

I am looking at buying a heart rate monitor. But I am hesitating due to the chest strap. I was considering the armband one, but it is supposedly terrible for battery life.

So, do you have to wash the chest strap? Is it uncomfortable when sweaty? Is it accurate?

Does anyone have a favorite brand or specific heart rate monitor they would recommend? Any suggestions of what not to buy?

Thanks!

Lizzy

Replies

• VOLume5973
    VOLume5973 Posts: 8
    Options
    My Sportline watch takes heart rate with a band and also without. You simply touch the watch face for a few seconds to check.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Do NOT buy a Timex HRM (with chest strap)! It doubles the actual calorie burn and is not accurate.

The chest strap is comfortable though, I didn't even notice it to tell you the truth :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar with a chest strap. I rinse it off after each use, which takes 30 seconds under the tap! no biggie there.
  • shoshona26
    shoshona26 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think POLAR is a great brand and honestly I don't even notice it once I am working out.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex one which I like with the chest strap. A lot of people here recommend the Polar products which my treadmill has built in. The chest strap is a little uncomfortable at first but you get used to it and you can always loosen or tighten it as necessary. The chest strap is waterproof so you can rinse it off, though I wouldn't suggest immersing it in water. I would get one that counts calories because it's very helpful since it gives you a near accurate idea of how much energy you're expelling.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM and I forget I'm wearing the chest strap. To the previous poster, I think the HRMs are all pretty accurate, maybe you're not subtracting your maintanance calories from the report from the Timex? However, I do agree that it may not be as accurate as other brands because it doesn't ask for gender
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    Love my Polar FT7.....my first real HRM. It has a chest strap but I dont even feel it ...I tuck it under my sport bra band and forget about it! I think it is pretty accurate as I wasn't loosing on MFP prior to purchasing and found that my calories burned were some quite a bit less than what is suggested on here.....have been losing steadily since I got the HRM and have a more accurate calorie count/burn/etc. Ordered my through HeartRateMonitorsUsa.com
  • taricke7890
    taricke7890 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM and I love it. Seems to be acurate. It has the chest strap and I haven't had any issues with it being uncomfortable or getting sweaty. You wet down a couple spots on it before you put it on so I think that helps. This HRM basis the calories burned on age, sex, weight and height so I believe it to be fairly acurate. Hope this helps you.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Get a HRM with a fabric chest strap, like the Polar WearLink+. After a couple minutes you forget its on.

Also, you can rinse them off and once a week or so just throw it in the washing machine.
  • ritecros
    ritecros Posts: 2
    Options
    I love the Polar one I have! It counts your HR, keeps track of your time exercising and counts the calories burned. Its awesome and accurate. The chest strap is very comfortable and easy to rinse, I don't notice the strap at all. I too thought that it would be uncomfortable but is not. I also love the watch that came with mine, most seem like for guys but this one is a nice color (like a light peach color) and more feminine.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin FR60. It came with the foot pod and chest strap.

Personally, I forget I have the chest strap on at all. I tuck it up under my bra band and it doesn't move. I suppose i'll have to wash the elastic part of the strap eventually, but haven't needed to yet. They do sell replacements.

The wrist sensors are simply not as accurate. I put the watch on the hand grip of my treadmill when I'm doing that.

I was looking at GPS enabled HRMs and found that many of them include a chest strap, but don't use your heart rate to calculate your burn. I thought that was pretty worthless. So READ the info and make sure the one you select does.

LOVE my Garmin.

1horsetown
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hey Lizzy,

I've gone through lots of HRMs (because the straps don't last too long). I would go with the chest straps because:

1) they are more accurate
    2) easy to clean - all you do is run it under water after your workout and dry off with a towel
    3) once you put it on you won't realize it - very comfortable, doesn't get in the way of your workout

Brand wise - I'd go with Polar or Omron. Whatever you do DON'T buy Timex! I just recently bought one on amazon.com but expect to keep it for awhile. The strap is designed so you can replace the battery: Omron HR-100C Heart Rate Monitor. It's on Amazon.com for $33. The only downside is that it doesn't give a kcal reading.

So far so good though.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM and I forget I'm wearing the chest strap. To the previous poster, I think the HRMs are all pretty accurate, maybe you're not subtracting your maintanance calories from the report from the Timex? However, I do agree that it may not be as accurate as other brands because it doesn't ask for gender

I know it is way off because I purchased a Bodymedia:smile:
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 & love it. I was concerned about a chest strap at first too, but I don't even notice it. Throw it in the wash every few workouts.
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options
    Has anyone tried the New Balance HRM?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do NOT buy a Timex HRM (with chest strap)! It doubles the actual calorie burn and is not accurate.

The chest strap is comfortable though, I didn't even notice it to tell you the truth :)

Majorly agree! I bought a Timex HRM for around 50 dollars and wound up returning it because the calorie burn was way off.
    I just got my Polar FT7 today and I am already in love with it. I hardly notice the strap and its even machine washable.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options

I just got the New Balance Pearl (I think it is called). It is comforable and the readings on it so far have been within 3 calories of my Polar. and pretty much the same with heart rate I just switched brands because when I am at Curves because my Polar wasn't syncing with the equipment (weird huh?)
  • canmancan
    canmancan Posts: 14
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 today after researching quite a bit. Tried it during an Insanity program today and love it. Much easier to see my heart rate, what zone I am in, and calories burned. Seems quite accurate and once I find the right spot so the strap is sitting properly it should be very comfortable. The strap is soft unlike some which are harder plastic.
  • deemuffie
    deemuffie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh great I am glad to hear that..I just ordered one today and I can't wait to get it and use it....Thanks..
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options

I just got the New Balance Pearl (I think it is called). It is comforable and the readings on it so far have been within 3 calories of my Polar. and pretty much the same with heart rate I just switched brands because when I am at Curves because my Polar wasn't syncing with the equipment (weird huh?)

That is weird....thanks for the feedback