RLS ... Any tips on cal counting for that?

Options
Hiya, I suffer from RLS, and I know for sure it's burning off calories ( a fair bit at that, considering I do it almost all day every day). S I was just wondering How I should go about counting Calorie loss for that? I don't want to mess with my success any, so I'd like to keep track of everything as "to the tee" as I can? Can anyone help me ?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I'm not really sure. Do you have access to a heart rate monitor? You can judge an average amount of daily resting calories and go from there.

Otherwise, you might be able to just continue on as though you aren't burning any extra. I can't imagine it is more than 100-200 at highest, but I don't know how severe your case is. Have you tried this site for a while without adding in the RLS calories? It might work for you without that info :)
  • burnguru25
    burnguru25 Posts: 37
    Options
    Restless leg syndrome is quite a pain, my father suffers from it as well. Literature states an increase in activity like walking, stretching and not sititng for long periods of time can lessen the effects. With that said, I personally would not count this into my activity other than in your personal profile...list as semi-active as if you are on your feet a bit during the day. This way MFP will allocate additional calories for your activity level.

I hear Gabapentin is a very good adjunct with RLS, have you tried any neuro cascade blockers??
  • MsTRiot
    MsTRiot Posts: 15
    Options
    @ sarah44254 unfortunately I have no access to a heart rate monitor. I've only been on the site for 5 days now , but I'm trying to be as accurate as possible with everything being as I have been over weight my whole life and am trying desperately to loose the extra weight.

@ burnguru25 That I agree with... alright I'll give that a shot and see how it works ... I've never heard of that before and no nothing like that has ever been suggested
  • burnguru25
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but since this is a neurological type pain, a neuro cascade blocker like Gabapentin can ease the intensity of the discomfort/pain. No great cure for RLS sadly, but I think with the right adjustments you could be more comfortable. Also check on your iron level, perhaps you have a slight anemia going on as well.

Good luck!
  • MsTRiot
    Options
    @ burnguru25 I'll have a talk with my doctor about them :) ... About my Iron levels I know they are alway pretty low just by the past 5 day of food entries ( and I bruise like a peach) but I had no idea that iron level had anything to do with RLS :S
  • burnguru25
    Options
    There are soooo many factors that play into RLS, other disease processes, certain types of medication...

What it comes down to is a myriad of possibilities that cause it, but no defining one single cause. Women generally are lower in iron than men, hence anemia. Other electrolytes can affect the muscle "twitching" as well like low magnesium or even folate. These are things with an improved diet and some healthy activity could reduce your "outbreaks".

I hope this is helpful, I bet with a better diet and healthy exercise regimen you will feel better.
  • MsTRiot
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice I'll give it shot just trying to keep my diet and exercise in check/healthy... hopefully your right and things will get better from there. :D
  • MsTRiot
    Options
    Any other suggestions are always welcome :D can never get enough of free advice :P
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I suffer from it at night. Excersizing in the evening helps and popping some magnesium right before bed virtually makes it dissapear!
  • MsTRiot
    Options
    and I can find magnesium at any health store ?