How to low carb without No carbing?

Options
Long story Short. I have recently be diagnosed with Pcos. I am now currently taking Metformin. Been looking it up and have realized it works best while low carbing to increase your chancing of pregnancy. Well my meals always have a carb in it. Especially my lunches because I usually go to the gym after work and with out a carb in my lunch I won't be able to get through my workout with being tired and sluggish.

Right now my typical day is:
B: cereal with a banana coffee sometimes waffles w/fruit or oatmeal w/fruit
L: Sandwich w fruit/salad
S: if I have one, Yogurt/fruit/cheese and crackers
D: Meat/1 or 2 veggies/ carb of some sort weather it be pasta/potato's/rice

How could I lower my Carbs without taking them completely away. They help me fuel for the day.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also..............and this was the recommended way of eating by my Endocrinologist.

Take out the grains and replace with vegetables.............limit fruit intake by increasing vegetable intake.

Fat will give you energy too.

Eat primarily fat, protein and get your carbs from vegetables primarily and then add in 1 or 2 servings of fruit per day.

So make your menu look something like this:

Breakfast: Eggs (fixed any way, I love omelettes), bacon, ham or sausage and a small serving of fruit

Lunch: Fruit Salad, fresh cut up vegetables with a dip and make a lettuce roll up for your sandwich instead of the bread

Snacks: nuts, seeds, greek yogurt

Dinner: Meat and the rest vegetables.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I did low carb yesterday, have a look at my diary

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/EatLikeAnAthlete?date=2013-04-17

Lots of meat, eggs, cheese etc.
  • lmfujishima
    lmfujishima Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe hard boiled eggs for breakfast to replace the cereal/waffles/oatmeal, and a salad instead of the sandwich during lunch? You would still be getting carbs from the fruit and veggies. As a time saving tip you can make ahead salad in jars, where you layer salad ingredients in a mason jar (dressing on the bottom so the veggies don't get soggy), and just shake it up when it's time to eat! I also make ahead breakfast smoothies in mason jars and freeze them. Here's a link to some salad in a jar examples. Good luck!

http://backtoherroots.com/2013/04/09/salad-in-a-jar-101/
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also..............and this was the recommended way of eating by my Endocrinologist.

I highly suggest you see an endo doctor too! Because we are all different with different test results and answers, our meal plans are not going to be the same.

Are you insulin resistant? Not everyone with PCOS is. Your doctor can do the tests, but an endo doctor can figure out the best plan of action. S/he can also see if you have any other metabolic disorders causing the stubborn weight to stick around.

I eat roughly 20-30 net carbs a day.

Breakfast is usually eggs and bacon or sausage. Sometimes I will make bulletproof coffee. Sometimes I will make a whey protein shake. My powder has 1 carb per serving. I use raw almond butter and sugar free coffee syrups with unsweetened coconut almond milk for flavor.

I stay away from sugar and white flours and most starch.

Lunch is a salad with salmon, tuna, or chicken.

If I do a bread or wrap, which is very rare, its a high fiber low carb wrap or 100% whole grain bread.

Dinner is salad, vegetables, and meat.

Snacks are boiled eggs, cheese (no more than 4oz a day), celery with cream cheese and green olives or pork rings with avocado smashed.

Dessert is always sugar free and low carb. I buy organic super dark chocolate. A few small pieces go a long way.

If I do fruit is raspberries, blackberries or strawberries because they have lower carb and its only a few pieces/serving.

Metformin did nothing but give me a stomach ache.

I have more energy. My adult acne has cleared. I have moisture in my face again! I sleep better so my bouts of insomnia are less and less. My chronic migraines are far and few between. I suffer from degenerative disc disease in my lower back and osteoarthritis in my hips. The pain has been unbearable until I cut carbs this year. It has helped with pain and inflammation a great deal. I have had two cycles this year - on my own. That's more than I have ever had in a year on my own. I'm off all medication. To me, that's success and my way of eating is working.

Even on my most painful days I still work out like everyone else. Energy/endurance isn't an issue for me. Its the pain that slows me down.

Carbs for fuel is a huge myth/misconception. You dont have to have them to survive/be fueled. And if you have PCOS it's likely what's causing the weight to stick around.

Good luck!

Here is a great resource: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello. I too have PCOS. I did a very low carb diet when I was first diagnosed (20-30 grams). I was trying to get pregnant at the time. It worked, twice :)

Currrently I am still on Met, and my endo recommends that I stay on that for the rest of my life. I also take Aldactone, which helps to block testosterone.

I have been working very hard at this weight loss business. Last year I lost 50 lbs, and have been maintaining lately, although I could stand to lose another 15-20.

The thing that helped me the most was EXERCISE. I know that's hard to hear. It's hard to do when you have the fatigue and icky feeling that can come with PCOS. I do 45 minutes/day of cardio, either running, elliptical, or I ride my bike. This has helped my insulin resistance immensely. I no longer have headaches and low blood sugar episodes. I have also noticed a decrease in hair growth, although that could be from the aldactone as well.

Currently, I have my macros set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. This is sort of lowish carb (around 100 g), but not as low as before. With the exercise, I think that I just need the carbs. I try to eat mainly low glycemic index carbs, stick with whole wheat, etc. This has worked for me, and it hasn't been too unmanageable.

I've been on the Met for a very long time, so I don't usually have the side effects that others refer to... I think that once you are on it for a while, side effects get a lot better. I also take the extended release, which helps. Now I do occasionally have issues if I eat something very sugary. Birthday cake or brownies will send me to the bathroom for hours!!!
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do have insulin resistance and high colestoerol so getting too much fat is horrible for me too. Thanks ladies finally just read through all the comments.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's all a numbers game. 1 serving of carbs is 15g. You need to portion your food accordingly. Pair meals with 2 or more servings of carbs with a min of 5g protein. Keep your carbs at a low steady to prevent blood sugar highs and lows.
    Fibre is insoluble, and can be deducted from carb total. For example, an average Apple has 17g carbs, but 2g fiber, giving it a total of 15g carbs. A waffle may have up to 43g carbs, with about 3g fiber, giving it 40g. The imaginary waffle is beyond your meal carb allowance, so you would have to eat 2/3 of it.

When I've done diet counselling with a dietician its looked like this:

Breakfast 1-2 servings carbs ( 15-30g) + protein
    Am snack ( optional) 1 serving
    Lunch 1-2 servings + 2 protiens
    pm snack ( optional) 1 serving carbs
    Supper 2-3 servings carbs + 2 or more protein
    Bedtime ( not optional) 1 serving and 1 protein

You can ( within calorie allowance) eat all the protein you want. Most veg are low carb/high fiber enough that typically dieticians don't want you to carb count them in your carb allowance). The exceptions being corn, canned tomato, artichoke).
    If you can keep your blood sugar stabil, you will feel less of a need to carb up for fuel.
    Good luck.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd ask if you can get a referral to a registered dietician. You might find that really helpful in finding a way to eat that helps with your PCOS.

To adjust macros, though, what I find really helpful is (1) focusing on getting a balance of macros at each meal, and (2) increase or decrease the various components of the meals to get the macro balance you want. For example, I usually have meat, veggies, and some kind of starch (potato, sweet potato, corn, pasta, etc.) with dinner. To decrease without eliminating carbs, I'd increase the meat and veggies (veggies are carbs, but the carbs are still pretty low since they have such few calories) and decrease the portion of the potatoes or whatever.

After a while it's pretty easy to know if something is going to fit your preferred macros or not and you can add in other foods if you want to make up the calories from cutting back the carbs a bit (avocado or cheese or nuts or olives or whatever you enjoy).

Looking at your menu above, my thought is that you could adjust the macros by bumping up the protein and fat contents and reducing the serving size of the carbs. For example:

B: add an egg or some full fat yogurt (or nuts or cheese or a bit of leftover meat) and have half a bowl of the cereal or oatmeal or half the waffle.

L: half sandwich with veggie soup or salad with protein plus fruit

S: yogurt (full fat, smaller size) with nuts instead of the crackers

D: this is basically my example above

There are lots of things you can do once you get used to playing with the macros.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of women dealing with PCOS via lc or keto here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    and here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you guys noticed this post is 2 years old......
  • bluworld
    Options
    Nope. I don't usualy encounter zombie threads here.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    norie92 wrote: »
    Not sure if you guys noticed this post is 2 years old......

The OP is the one that bumped it.
  • bluworld
    Options
    Slow reader?
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and low carbing really helped me more than anything (not that I'm eating particularly low carb at the moment haha, maybe half the week).

Ok after writing this I see this is an old post but you bumped it so I'm not sure if you're still in the same conundrum so I'll post anyway.

A few tips:
    - Don't count fiber carbs. Some people say you should count them, Atkins' followers and others say you shouldn't, I've been low carbing on and off for half my life and fiber really does not seem to mess up low carb. So if you're concerned with how to eat low carb while still eating carbs, then I'd say don't count fiber. Purists may count fiber carbs but you don't have to. Count net carbs, or total carbs minus fiber.

- Consume more fat for energy. You say you get really sluggish but you are eating a rather low fat diet just looking at the sample menu in your post. Fat packs way more energy per gram. You will also need to increase protein. Low carb and low fat at the same time is hell on earth for me. It is hard for people transitioning from normal diet food to low carb to understand that they need more fat.

- Either drastically simplify the variety in your diet or learn to cook low carb alternatives to the foods you love. Again, purists say just eat "clean" and cut out carbs and carb substitutes. I did fine on low carb eating my almond flour breaded chicken tenders and baking my own flax bread so whatever. I think the "purer" way is a good way if you don't have time to do all that cooking and baking and it's simpler. But I'm dirty.

- Drink more. Especially important if you start consuming a lot more fiber as a result of going low carb.

- Most importantly: low carb !=! keto or Atkins. Low carb is anything under 150 grams of carbs a day (although I'd say stick to around 100 net carbs to be safe). You don't have to get under 50, or, as I did, 20, in order to cut down on carbs and improve PCOS symptoms.

• j100lmt
    j100lmt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend juiceplus for PCOS, it's low carb, if you would like more info then leave me your email address
  • ahudd24
    ahudd24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Juice plus is fab, I'm an odd one who doesn't like the texture of a lot of fruit (don't ask) so the capsules and chews really help give me a boost! If anyone wants some more info send me your email address or email me at ahudd24@hotmail.com :)