low carbs on rest days??

Options
Just wondering if anybody has low carbs on rest days? I've heard it's supposed to be good doing this, just want to know what people's thoughts are, thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is there a good reason to go low carb any day? Your macros should be based on what your desired outcomes are.....as a runner I love carbs, were I more concerned about body composition I'd probably eat fewer carbs (not necessarily "low carb") and more protein.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You're talking Carb Cycling I think. I just posted the following link on the topic in another thread -

muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/lose-fat/build-lean-muscle-carb-cycling
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Rest from what?

What do you want to accomplish?

Not enough info, kind of like asking for the sum of 2 +
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    On my active rest days I consume less carbs because when I go for my low intensity cardio session I want to make sure I am not just burning my carbs away, the less carbs to burn the easier it is to get to that 20-25 min mark and start losing fat & of course a bit of muscle with that as well. On active rest days where I do moderate cardio (runs) I make sure to consume a lot more of carbs. As a runner I always like to include my carbs so the days where I know I dont need AS MANY its hard to tone it down. Extra protein is the only way to survive those low carb days lol! But if youre rest days are days sitting on the couch then yes low carb is prob a good idea (as long as your rest days arent consecutive)
  • claireroper42
    claireroper42 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    You're talking Carb Cycling I think. I just posted the following link on the topic in another thread -

Thank you will have a look at this
  • claireroper42
    Options
    On my active rest days I consume less carbs because when I go for my low intensity cardio session I want to make sure I am not just burning my carbs away, the less carbs to burn the easier it is to get to that 20-25 min mark and start losing fat & of course a bit of muscle with that as well. On active rest days where I do moderate cardio (runs) I make sure to consume a lot more of carbs. As a runner I always like to include my carbs so the days where I know I dont need AS MANY its hard to tone it down. Extra protein is the only way to survive those low carb days lol! But if youre rest days are days sitting on the couch then yes low carb is prob a good idea (as long as your rest days arent consecutive)

My 'rest' days mainly consist of walking round a school, or sat down with children, Tuesdays and Fridays I don't do any exercise, cardio, weights at all, so am trying to keep my carb intake low but like you said I get extra protein, thanks for replying
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends entirely on what you are trying to do.

I like to build my glycogen stores back up quickly after a long run or race. That means carbs.
  • claireroper42
    Options
    Is there a good reason to go low carb any day? Your macros should be based on what your desired outcomes are.....as a runner I love carbs, were I more concerned about body composition I'd probably eat fewer carbs (not necessarily "low carb") and more protein.
    Thanks for your reply :)
  • claireroper42
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    I would say it depends entirely on what you are trying to do.

I like to build my glycogen stores back up quickly after a long run or race. That means carbs.

I'm trying to.lose weight and tone up:/ am just not very clued up on the 'nutrition' part so just trying to get advice where I can.
    Thanks for the reply

• claireroper42
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »

Thank you will have a look at this
    This is exactly what I meant, thanks very much
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Low carb could be good for you then. You might check out "You Are Your Own Gym". That program will get you lean and strong pretty quickly and has nutrition advice worth considering if your focus is just toning up and looking sexy. Just my opinion, of course. I was seeing impressive results. It clashed with my "running" dreams though, so I use the exercises from it as part of my running strength building exercises, and don't focus so much on the program as laid out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anybody has low carbs on rest days? I've heard it's supposed to be good doing this, just want to know what people's thoughts are, thanks

Sure. You're basically describing carb cycling, which a lot of people do, intentionally or not.

Nothing wrong with it - take in more when you need more, take in less when you need less.
  • claireroper42
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Low carb could be good for you then. You might check out "You Are Your Own Gym". That program will get you lean and strong pretty quickly and has nutrition advice worth considering if your focus is just toning up and looking sexy. Just my opinion, of course. I was seeing impressive results. It clashed with my "running" dreams though, so I use the exercises from it as part of my running strength building exercises, and don't focus so much on the program as laid out.

Thanks for your advice will have a look at it :) cheers
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do carb cycling; I consume fewer carbs on rest/recovery days and higher carbs on workout days. It seems to be working best. I tried going very low carb and it did work for a few months. I couldn't stay on something like that forever. Carb cycling is more comfortable for me. Make sure you are paying attention to the carbs you are taking in;) Swap the white bread for whole grain, for example. Much luck to you in whatever you decide, and good health:)
  • claireroper42
    Options
    I do carb cycling; I consume fewer carbs on rest/recovery days and higher carbs on workout days. It seems to be working best. I tried going very low carb and it did work for a few months. I couldn't stay on something like that forever. Carb cycling is more comfortable for me. Make sure you are paying attention to the carbs you are taking in;) Swap the white bread for whole grain, for example. Much luck to you in whatever you decide, and good health:)

I can't do very low carbs love them to much :) have swapped to sweet potatoes and Im trying to cut out white bread, I'm trying to find 'good carbs', it's all a journey I suppose, I'm sick off fad diets so upped my workouts and trying to eat better, I follow somebody on instagram called the body coach so get ideas from his post, he does a plan but I'm not sure about signing up to something that I might not stick to.
    Thanks for your reply, it's a great help :)