What are you thoughts on....

Options
Okay... there are a few things in my diet that I have always wondered about, and whether it is affecting my weight loss goals or not. So, to everyone here, what are your thoughts about:
- Coffee (black or with a little bit of skim & only 1-2 cups per day)
- Splenda (about 1-4 packets a day)

:) Thanks

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an issue. But I'm sure this is one of those debateable topics.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. Most people would be just fine on that small amount. But if you're thinking it's negatively affecting your goals, then try cutting it out for a couple weeks, just to see. If nothing really changes, then you know you're fine.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I drink my coffee black with some Agave nectar for sweetner. It hasn't hindered my weight loss, but I try to drink at least 8 cups of water per day as well, and rarely have soda, diet or otherwise.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You should be fine, since you're not loading your coffee with calories. Studies have shown that caffeine can actually have a positive affect on metabolic processes when consumed right before working out. Coffee has some good antioxidants, too. I personally prefer more natural alternatives to splenda, but a little bit a day shouldn't cause problems unless you notice that you seem sensitive/intolerant to it.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    There are differing opinions both on coffee (more so the caffeine) and artificial sweeteners. Some will argue both can affect your weight loss, while others will say they have no effect. The easiest way for you to find out what works for YOU is to try cutting out one or both for a few weeks. See how your body adapts and if your weight changes. I wouldn't think as small amount as you list would make a 'big" difference. Ultimately though, it's what works or doesn't work for you.
  • jafarb
    jafarb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The coffee is ok in small amount. I would stay away from the artificial sweeteners!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    You have so little to lose. If you are toning up, it is probably you gaining muscle while losing fat. Stop the weight training to see the scales go down. It's probably not the coffee or the splenda, unless you are having a minor allergic reation that is causes you to swell which would causes the scales to never move. It's possible, but not probable.
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    You have so little to lose. If you are toning up, it is probably you gaining muscle while losing fat. Stop the weight training to see the scales go down. It's probably not the coffee or the splenda, unless you are having a minor allergic reation that is causes you to swell which would causes the scales to never move. It's possible, but not probable.

P.S. I had a weight trainer one time tell me "If you are going to look at the scales, I will fire you now. Because when you are building muscle through weight training or toning, you can't judge your health by scales. You have to take into account water retention in worked muscles, muscle weighs more than fat, etc.."
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Not sure where this came from, as the OP was asking about coffee and splenda, not her workout routine - but if someone has little to lose, the last thing they want to do is stop weight training. In fact, it's important to up the intensity of weight training and really push yourself to help get those last few pounds off and avoid losing lean muscle mass... Muscle gain happens very slowly - it's not something you'd notice on a scale in a matter of weeks. (Unless you're taking steroids...)
  • shells74
    shells74 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm doing the VLCD (Very low calorie diet) and it allows coffee or tea with truvia no splenda or equal. It says black but I use a little half & Half and I'm still losing. Good luck!
  • PeachyKeene
    Options

Not sure where this came from, as the OP was asking about coffee and splenda, not her workout routine - but if someone has little to lose, the last thing they want to do is stop weight training. In fact, it's important to up the intensity of weight training and really push yourself to help get those last few pounds off and avoid losing lean muscle mass... Muscle gain happens very slowly - it's not something you'd notice on a scale in a matter of weeks. (Unless you're taking steroids...)
    I got it off of her profile to better answer the question as to if it is hindering her weight loss. But, when you are only wanting to lose 5 lbs and you are worried about something hindering the scales from doing that. Well if you are toning, that would be what did it. Because an inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of fat and when you are building that muscle you are liable to see that scales go up or stay the same as your body becomes leaner. If she stopped toning her muscles she would she the scales go down, because the water retention would subside somewhat.

Water retention in worked muscles does not happen slowly, it can happen with just one work out. And she has been doing this since February that is not a few weeks.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I got it off of her profile to better answer the question as to if it is hindering her weight loss. But, when you are only wanting to lose 5 lbs and you are worried about something hindering the scales from doing that. Well if you are toning, that would be what did it. Because an inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of fat and when you are building that muscle you are liable to see that scales go up or stay the same as your body becomes leaner. If she stopped toning her muscles she would she the scales go down, because the water retention would subside somewhat.

Water retention in worked muscles does not happen slowly, it can happen with just one work out. And she has been doing this since February that is not a few weeks.

My reference to muscle gain being slow refers to actual muscle gain, not water retention. Actual muscle gain is, in fact, very slow, especially in women. If you're trying to lose weight, the chances that you're gaining significant muscle mass is pretty slim. You may be strengthening and toning the muscles you do have, but gaining much lean muscle mass while in a deficit is not easy to do, and you have to be trying very hard to do so.

I guess my point is that if you want to lose *fat* rather than muscle (which I'm assuming is the case), you don't want to stop strength training. You seem to be suggesting that she stop toning to see if she can lose the last few pounds, but that would be silly, because that would just be a drop in water weight, which would come right back when she started training again. It's wouldn't be a drop because of fat loss, which is what she (presumably) wants. Retaining some water weight is not a bad thing, and if you only have five pounds to lose, you have to make sure you're working to lose fat rather than muscle - which requires both strength training and cardio. See this thread, stages 3 & 4 - it's a great summary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan

Anyways, this is waaaay off topic from the original post, so I'll leave it at that.
  • PeachyKeene
    Options

My reference to muscle gain being slow refers to actual muscle gain, not water retention. Actual muscle gain is, in fact, very slow, especially in women. If you're trying to lose weight, the chances that you're gaining significant muscle mass is pretty slim. You may be strengthening and toning the muscles you do have, but gaining much lean muscle mass while in a deficit is not easy to do, and you have to be trying very hard to do so.

I guess my point is that if you want to lose *fat* rather than muscle (which I'm assuming is the case), you don't want to stop strength training. You seem to be suggesting that she stop toning to see if she can lose the last few pounds, but that would be silly, because that would just be a drop in water weight, which would come right back when she started training again. It's wouldn't be a drop because of fat loss, which is what she (presumably) wants. Retaining some water weight is not a bad thing, and if you only have five pounds to lose, you have to make sure you're working to lose fat rather than muscle - which requires both strength training and cardio. See this thread, stages 3 & 4 - it's a great summary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan

Anyways, this is waaaay off topic from the original post, so I'll leave it at that.

You are right! I completely understand, but my point was toning would be more a reason at the stages she is in to not see those 5 pounds come off, rather than coffee or splenda being the culprit. I was not saying to stop working out as a good thing, but if the only thing she was worried about was the scales, it will accomplish what she wants.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/213605-stopped-logging-stopped-working-out-but-i-ve-lost-weight
  • BLK8i
    BLK8i Posts: 4
    Options
    hi :)
    how are you?
    your 1-2 cups of coffee is actually fine, but i would take the splenda out..not really good for you..a light creamer is slightly better..or better yet, skim milk is better ;)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have read that coffee is good for weightloss as it speeds your metabolism.
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    black coffee is fine in moderation.... ( 1-2 cups a day)
    I would switch from splenda to stevia.... which is a NATURAL sweetner (plus it taste WAY better) skim is good.... coffee creamer = bad!
  • elg963
    elg963 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Good to know I can keep my coffee... I LOOOVE it. Maybe I will try eliminating the Splenda outta my diet, though. Thanks again :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would lose the artificial sweetener. Use real sugar. If you need that much added sugar daily where you need to look for a low or no calorie version, the problem isn’t the sugar calories. The problem is you are using too much and should cut down.