What do you do with your earned calories from exercise when maintaining?

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat them when I'm hungry.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I normally follow a TDEE set to lightly active and don't eat back exercise calories. On days of unusual physical activity (like this Sunday where I hiked 10 miles), I'll recalculate from BMR + Thermogenesis of Food + Daily Activity + Additional Exercise. Before when I was losing, I wouldn't have bothered, but now that I am trying to maintain/recomp, it is better to err on the higher side than lower. I tend to undereat far more than overeat.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether I'm hungry or not, but even if I don't eat them same day, I usually eat most of my exercise calories back within the week.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I follow the MFP method, so I eat them back, and I eat back any FitBit calories, too. It's incredibly accurate for me. YMMV. Have you been losing faster/more slowly than MFP says you will? Work backwards from your data.
  • Healthylife4us4
    Healthylife4us4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. That's what your supposed to do. That's vigorous workouts though, not a leisurely walk. If you're tracking steps you'll notice that your tracker subtracts them when you add a real workout until you get to a significant number.

Also, anyone who's counting a 2mph walk as a workout is kidding themselves.

I'm sorry Jacqueline, but this really is not a supportive statement.
    Some people have struggles you know nothing about. If they are walking 2mph everyday. That's fantastic! Because they could be on the couch with a handful of chips, but instead they made the decision to go for a slow stroll.
    Perhaps you should 'walk' 2mph in someone else's shoes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. That's what your supposed to do. That's vigorous workouts though, not a leisurely walk. If you're tracking steps you'll notice that your tracker subtracts them when you add a real workout until you get to a significant number.

Real nice... :huh:

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for over a year and I've always eaten my exercise calories back, even now.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Does this include my aunt who walked that slow every single day while taking chemotherapy for breast cancer?

Or my friend who is my age, has MS, and has to use a walker?

Believe me, to those two, a 2mph walk IS a workout.

Yep.

• linna62
    linna62 Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Does this include my aunt who walked that slow every single day while taking chemotherapy for breast cancer?

Yep.

i agree, everyone is different in health and ability. I don't eat back my calories. When I was losing weight I ate according to 12-1350 cals a day and lost 150 pounds. I figure in my daily exercise as part of keeping my sugar stable and keeping my legs active to keep my circulation going. I'm IDDM on a pump, for me my calories have to be consistent to keep my diabetes in control- Timing of my food is important but adding is rare.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I eat (or drink) every one of them. If not on the day I burned them, then certainly within the week (I save them up for a weekend indulgence, for example). I did the same when I was losing, too (utilizing the "MFP" NEAT method).

And, my exercise calories earned include all activity, from leisurely stroll to full-on power walk (I use Fitbit). Hasn't let me down in nearly a year of use.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I eat (or drink) every one of them. If not on the day I burned them, then certainly within the week (I save them up for a weekend indulgence, for example). I did the same when I was losing, too (utilizing the "MFP" NEAT method).

And, my exercise calories earned include all activity, from leisurely stroll to full-on power walk (I use Fitbit). Hasn't let me down in nearly a year of use.

That's a relief to know @williams969 . Because I've been struggling big time lately to NOT eat my exercise calories back :disappointed:

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

That's a relief to know @williams969 . Because I've been struggling big time lately to NOT eat my exercise calories back :disappointed:

Yes, I've read your struggles/concerns (too busy to respond earlier). But, yes--you walk TWICE as much as me (on average), and get (no surprise) TWICE as many additional Fitbit exercise calories as me (I believe we have more or less similar physical stats). In comparison, I get anywhere from 500-700 daily exercise cals for 10,000-13,000 steps. Your numbers seem legit (really, truly, believe me)--eat up!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Real nice... :huh:
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yep.

Seriously. Lots of people walk for exercise: either they like it, it’s what fits best into their day, or because that’s what their current fitness level or circumstances allow. I respect anyone who makes an effort to move more and be active - no workouts are more “real” than others. Sheesh.

OP, congrats on your achievements! I’m still trying to lose, so I usually don’t eat back exercise calories, at least unless I’m ravenous. At maintenance I’d probably eat back around half, just because they’re usually overestimated. I think what works best is trying some formula and seeing how your weight reacts to it over time. Best of luck! :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yes, I've read your struggles/concerns (too busy to respond earlier). But, yes--you walk TWICE as much as me (on average), and get (no surprise) TWICE as many additional Fitbit exercise calories as me (I believe we have more or less similar physical stats). In comparison, I get anywhere from 500-700 daily exercise cals for 10,000-13,000 steps. Your numbers seem legit (really, truly, believe me)--eat up!

haha i know I've been driving some people nuts with my tooing and froing!
    I just prefer to hear from real people and how they do it, rather than get into the science and mathematical equations... :flushed:

Thanks again, you were able to answer my questions in 2 simple posts xx

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

What if it's a ten mile walk?

That's like 1213 calories for me at 2 mph.. I'll be walking ten miles on Sunday at around 3 mph.

I'm one of those people who log my walks. Even my slow ones.