training same muscle 2days in a row??

Options
I'd like to find out if this is fine. I can only workout weekdays, i worked out very heavy yesterday doing 5X5 but im not feeling sore today and actually little energised. I missed Monday workout because of work. is it fine to go again today?
I do heavy full body workout Stronglifts.

I wanted to do different type of workouts with less or half weight i use on normal workouts like: leg press, lunges, abs and arms then rest tomorrow and final workout for week Friday. I can go weekends.

This is only once off this week not a weekly thing, i'll go back to normal next week Monday. i just feel energised and not sore as usual....

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Generally, I’d be incline to say no. My normal advise would be to do a good light cardio session today, hit the 5x5 hard on Thursday and Saturday.

But it appears you may not have pushed yourself as hard as a normal 5x5 would. Were you able to complete each rep of each set with good form? How did you feel after the workout? Do you think you can handle more weight?
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do all 5X5 to max and i was exhausted after the workout i felt like throwing up en knees wobbly walking down the steps, I have the app and still progressing.

Does not being sore mean i didnt workout properly or didnt push? I know a few people at gym who say they dont become sore yet they are very fit....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    I do all 5X5 to max and i was exhausted after the workout i felt like throwing up en knees wobbly walking down the steps, I have the app and still progressing.

Does not being sore mean i didnt workout properly or didnt push? I know a few people at gym who say they dont become sore yet they are very fit....

No, the lack of soreness the next day isn’t an indicator that you didn’t work hard. That exhaustion you felt after the workout is. I’d recommend skipping today and going Thursday and Saturday instead.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't work the same muscles two days in a row either directly (i.e. same exercises) or indirectly which is hard (i.e. incline press and shoulder press since both involve shoulders at varying degrees).

I don't agree if you're not sore you didn't work hard enough. Muscle soreness is not a sign you worked hard, but more often that you worked new muscles that you normally don't hit or are hitting in a different way.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How can muscles heal if you micro tear it on back to back days. Repair process is not that quick naturally.
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Interesting I did not know this. I do the same routine everyday, so that is not good? What is micro tearing?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    lloftus723 wrote: »
    Interesting I did not know this. I do the same routine everyday, so that is not good? What is micro tearing?

When you do any resistance training to a certain point if it is difficult to do you are putting micro tears in your muscles. That like the first step to building muscle. You got to (exercise) tear it to start the process. Also it depends on the routine you are doing everyday?
  • lloftus723
    lloftus723 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sorry op didnt mean to hijack your post.

10Min jumping jacks
    140 crunches
    140 sit ups (alternate every other day with 20-20sec planks)
    140 squats
    I increase these by 20 every other day (just recently started)
    45 minutes cardio
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No don't do another workout today (5x5) as you will be doing squats again.

If you miss a workout you have a choice...skip it or do it on another day but then you are kind of in that schedule after that.

If I missed one I would typically just continue on and do that workout the next time.

for example I would lift M/W/F...workout A/B/A...if I missed Friday I would not workout until Monday and start with A again...or if it was B I missed on W I would do that on Friday.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    lloftus723 wrote: »
    Sorry op didnt mean to hijack your post.

10Min jumping jacks
    140 crunches
    140 sit ups (alternate every other day with 20-20sec planks)
    140 squats
    I increase these by 20 every other day (just recently started)
    45 minutes cardio

I think body weight exercises can be done everyday.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wouldn't really recommend it for a beginner or novice lifter, or someone running a regular 5x5.

As for training the same areas back to back, it depends on your individual recovery and programming... There are programs out there that have you performing lifts every day, sometimes twice a day. You'd need to manipulate volume and intensity if you were looking to make it sustainable long term, and build your way up to it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do lower body 2 days in a row once a week. The second day is lower weight so it would be something like heavy on Friday and light on Saturday and then rest on Sunday before going back to heavy on Monday again. If you are doing your regular 5x5 on Friday I would maybe do light (bodyweight) lunges and abs today but skip the rest.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    thanks decided to do hiit I'll see next workout Friday